Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
.....Basically admitting there is no other plan but moving kids to different clusters every 2-3 yrs….thats a good plan?
Let's see. The BOCC and town councils allow unrestricted new growth in a booming metro area. A metro which BTW, where most other places have restricted growth in some form. So developers rush in, build never ending subdivisions which are filled with people expecting to live in a cheap mansion with low taxes. Yet they have expectations of unlimited municipal services and exclusive pubic schools.

So ask you question in that context. It then makes no sense. The BOE is to be commended for dealing with the issue without submitting to the mob mentality that existed for months once the plan was known. Their hands are tied because the state requires that all students in NC are offered a free public education, yet the BOE does not have the power of taxation.

You can't ignore this last point.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 AM

156 posts, read 309,466 times
The politicians are in bed with the developers AND the school board members....and WE end up getting screwed.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
In Marvin, I will give you a few at different price points. Firethorn, Marvin Creek, PD, PDS, and The Reserve. That's not say MRMS/MRHS won't be crowded again in 2-3 years with the new developments going up.
Sure... we can play this game with all the clusters. It's not difficult.

When MR gets over crowded again you can carve more off the corner of Bonds Grove and 16 to send them to the new Elem they will build next to CuthMS. Easy peasy.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
The politicians are in bed with the developers AND the school board members....and WE end up getting screwed.
Hon, the school board members are politicians!

Politicians in bed with developers is not isolated to UC. Look at Long Island - it's so bad there it's criminal. Then add the unions in the same bed. It's a proverbial menage a threesome all sucking your pocket clean.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM

I am a former educator and pro union.
I saw how diligently the Union county teachers work and then later shocked at their low salaries. I also witnessed an administrator reprimand a teacher for not wearing the official school jacket....she later told me it was $40 and couldn't order it yet. A strong teachers union would do the trick. However, I know I'm in the south where Union is a naughty word.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 AM

It definitely is criminal on Long Island but my kids won't get shuffled every 2-3 years.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM

93 posts, read 127,772 times
Comparing LI public schools to UC really isn't an apple to apple comparison….LI utilizes a "town" type school district as opposed to the county district down here. Just an estimate, property taxes down here are 1/5th what you would pay on LI

Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM

27 posts, read 56,311 times
Quote:
17 houses for sale in my development because of the rezoning. Only 3 Under Contract.
Wow. This appears to be a delusional issue or behavorial problem fermented by developers and real estate agents who concocted a toxic Kool-Aid mixture of school and home value paranoia. Seems like a case of parental hysteria to me. The flight to excellence, heh!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I am a former educator and pro union.
I saw how diligently the Union county teachers work and then later shocked at their low salaries. I also witnessed an administrator reprimand a teacher for not wearing the official school jacket....she later told me it was $40 and couldn't order it yet. A strong teachers union would do the trick. However, I know I'm in the south where Union is a naughty word.
Quote:
It definitely is criminal on Long Island but my kids won't get shuffled every 2-3 years.
If you're drawing an early tier pension and the benefits that go along with it, it's easy to be pro union. However, the ongoing costs to run the schools on LI are what's eating away at the QoL and subsequently the quality of the schools. Property taxes here are going up to build new schools and do capital improvements - taxes on LI continue to go up to just keep pace with salaries and benefits... and that's not just the teachers - the administrators make obscene salaries. It's getting to a point they can't afford to maintain the old buildings in more and more districts on LI - cutting services and programs while taxes still go up up up... it will continue with this pattern. It is not sustainable. Some districts will hold out longer than others - but it's not a case of "LI schools" being unequivocally superior. There are districts I know you'd never consider sending your kids to and they are just as much LI as any other.

If "getting shuffled" is your top priority, you can easily buy in MR and never be redistricted. All you had to do was some research... or you can go back to LI and not get shuffled there.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 AM

I completely agree with you regarding LI administrators and superintendents. Their salaries are insane. However, I must side by those teachers who work on behalf of our children. Educators sometimes get ripped on because of their summer vacations. What most people forget is the fact that teachers bring their work home nights and weekends. Papers and testa don't grade themselves.
I thought I did my due diligence with my real estate search
I was also mislead by my realtor into believing that my community was safe. Its very upsetting and annoying.
The kids ultimately lose with all this shuffling around. Those who say that we as parents should just get over it are out of touch with how the shuffling affects the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte