Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 09:18 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
again, this isn't about cool kids….9 people are there to serve the children of UC, which was the original response to Jimmy. So a simple question for you, what purpose does it serve to essentially discuss a highly controversial vote with 7 members, to the point of people having things already scripted and shut out 2 members of the board? They are all sitting up there before the meeting starts, not one of them could lean over and say "hey, its coming down tonight"….you would have to agree it was a concerted effort to keep it secret….so i will ask you, why?
I'm just saying it's a better analogy than your battered example. I was at the open meetings - the writing was on the wall for everyone to see. There was no secret that 7 people were in favor of redistricting and 2 were not. How could you miss it? So why "lean in"? Everyone knew how they'd be voting anyway.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:25 PM

93 posts, read 127,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm just saying it's a better analogy than your battered example. I was at the open meetings - the writing was on the wall for everyone to see. There was no secret that 7 people were in favor of redistricting and 2 were not. How could you miss it? So why "lean in"? Everyone knew how they'd be voting anyway.
i was at the meetings too Mikey….if you want to say 5 were in favor of redistricting, i would agree. All 7 didn't tip their hand. You keep dancing, so i will ask again. What is the purpose for excluding the other 2? Unless you agree with the mindset of "we don't need them anyway, so screw them", goes back to your "Cool Kids" analogy….I would like to give our BOE more credit than to act like 10 graders at a cafeteria table, maybe i am giving them too much credit

Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
i was at the meetings too Mikey….if you want to say 5 were in favor of redistricting, i would agree. All 7 didn't tip their hand. You keep dancing, so i will ask again. What is the purpose for excluding the other 2? Unless you agree with the mindset of "we don't need them anyway, so screw them", goes back to your "Cool Kids" analogy….I would like to give our BOE more credit than to act like 10 graders at a cafeteria table, maybe i am giving them too much credit
It's late - we've hashed this 20 ways from Sunday in the infamous redistricting thread... starting over 8+ months ago.

"Tip their hands"... "excluding"... secret star chambers... it's small time politics. You're ultimately looking at this backwards - it wasn't about "why exclude them" - you should be asking yourself "why include them?". That is the real question.

Your main issue comes down to the ballot box. You need to elect people who can get things done - not walk out. Think about who really acted like a 10th grader at the cafeteria table.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 PM

156 posts, read 309,409 times
17 houses for sale in my development because of the rezoning. Only 3 Under Contract.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
17 houses for sale in my development because of the rezoning. Only 3 Under Contract.
There was no rezoning. These houses are in the same school district as they have always been. What changed, was school assignments within this school district. If you are correct as to the reason for the sales, this simply means these 17 households bought those homes with false expectations and didn't do their homework.

If these homeowners lose money over it, then it's their fault. If they can't sell then they need to lower their price. Stock stuff. In any case, the school system bears no responsibility for their woes.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:29 AM

398 posts, read 618,909 times
Quote:
Actually, I see this happen in the biz world ALL THE TIME. Some sort of change is coming...everyone knows it's coming but there are a couple of people that don't agree and are vocal about it. The group inevitably shuts them out so the change can be instituted. It's the nature of groups.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:31 AM

398 posts, read 618,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's late - we've hashed this 20 ways from Sunday in the infamous redistricting thread... starting over 8+ months ago.

"Tip their hands"... "excluding"... secret star chambers... it's small time politics. You're ultimately looking at this backwards - it wasn't about "why exclude them" - you should be asking yourself "why include them?". That is the real question.

Your main issue comes down to the ballot box. You need to elect people who can get things done - not walk out. Think about who really acted like a 10th grader at the cafeteria table.

Exactly!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There was no rezoning. These houses are in the same school district as they have always been. What changed, was school assignments within this school district. If you are correct as to the reason for the sales, this simply means these 17 households bought those homes with false expectations and didn't do their homework.

If these homeowners lose money over it, then it's their fault. If they can't sell then they need to lower their price. Stock stuff. In any case, the school system bears no responsibility for their woes.
Sounds like you have no children in the system or you are a board member.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:20 AM

149 posts, read 165,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Sounds like you have no children in the system or you are a board member.
Sounds to me like everything Waldo said is a fact. There is only one school system in Union County. If people want to move they are going to have to take the price offered--something is only worth what another is willing to pay. The schools system made no guarantees to any home buyer.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:27 AM

Yes. One school system
However, don't be naive to that fact that most people moving to Union County will want to be in Marvin Ridge. No one is paying top dollar to be zoned for Sun Valley.
Builders know that. If you don't see the corruption then you are either blind to it or part of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte