Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:01 AM

136 posts, read 106,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
you don't know what your talking about. smith was under contract. the panthers paid him a lot of money to go away.
What was he due to make with the Panthers this year? Keep me honest, he was due to make 8 or 9 million....they cut him loose because they didnt want to pay a 37 yr old receiver that much $$$$ and they were able to save cap space

Old 12-02-2014, 08:23 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
The Panthers are struggling to find answers and keep their bandwagon interested as they continue to drop games. The window of opportunity to step up and win games in the weakest division of the National Football League this season has closed. The 2015 season should be different going forward and upward compared to the current season doing backward and downward.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
you don't know what your talking about. smith was under contract. the panthers paid him a lot of money to go away.
yep... I believe he was going to count 7 Mill vs the cap this year.

Smith was ran out of town by the GM. I bet if we drafted Benjamin he would have a hard time being the #1 option with Smith on the team so who knows if he made the right move or not.

IMO the real problem was letting LeFell AND Ginn go as well... along with the whole defensive secondary.

Gettleman is clearing the books so he can make room for Cam's contract.

The real blame is the last GM who tied up 20 million dollars on 3 RB's who are always injured and rarely get touches when healthy.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:28 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

IMO the real problem was letting LeFell AND Ginn go as well... along with the whole defensive secondary.
I disagree 100% with this.

Let me ask you. What was Carolina's strong point last year?

It was their front 4 putting pressure on quarterbacks. When opposing QB's had no time to throw, it made a terrible secondary look great. Also, it gave the carolina OFFENSE more opportunities to score.

Now speaking of the carolina offense LAST YEAR. Lets be honest, they were not good at all. Their receiver production was like 30th out of 32 teams, so telling me that the receivers this year is the problem is not true.

Tom Brady makes chicken salad out of chicken chit w/the receivers he has.

The biggest problem this year is that Greg Hardy is not there to take the load off of Johnson and Star. Also, those guys (star and Johnson) have not stepped up.

Its like a domino effect...no pressure exposes a terrible secondary...which leads to longer opposing drives which leads to more defensive points given up, (thus ultimately leads to more pressure on Cam to score)

Cam Newton even if he had more weapons I don't think can put up 30+ a game like the top 10 QB's in the league....just my .02

Old 12-02-2014, 10:03 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,143 times
It doesn't help that Greg Hardy was franchised and is making big time money to sit at home and stroke his........guns.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:21 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
It doesn't help that Greg Hardy was franchised and is making big time money to sit at home and stroke his........guns.
Look, there are a million second guessers that came out of the woodwork since this whole suspension thing came out and are saying they shouldn't have franchised him.

NONE of those people had the same opinion last year before this whole incident took part. So, to me, at the time, franchising him was the only logical choice the Panthers had....it was a no-brainer and there were ZERO complaints until this whole thing broke.

Its an extremely unfortunate situation. They are in a terrible spot because he is such an impact player and counts alot against the cap (and not playing). Its killing the defensive performance of this team, which impacts the offense also.

are there any capologists reading this thread that can explain the cap situation for 2015 on different scenerios for Hardy? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I disagree 100% with this.

Let me ask you. What was Carolina's strong point last year?

It was their front 4 putting pressure on quarterbacks. When opposing QB's had no time to throw, it made a terrible secondary look great. Also, it gave the carolina OFFENSE more opportunities to score.

Now speaking of the carolina offense LAST YEAR. Lets be honest, they were not good at all. Their receiver production was like 30th out of 32 teams, so telling me that the receivers this year is the problem is not true.

Tom Brady makes chicken salad out of chicken chit w/the receivers he has.

The biggest problem this year is that Greg Hardy is not there to take the load off of Johnson and Star. Also, those guys (star and Johnson) have not stepped up.

Its like a domino effect...no pressure exposes a terrible secondary...which leads to longer opposing drives which leads to more defensive points given up, (thus ultimately leads to more pressure on Cam to score)

Cam Newton even if he had more weapons I don't think can put up 30+ a game like the top 10 QB's in the league....just my .02
LOL... that's foolish.

Are you really going to suggest adding 3 new WR's and 4 new DB's would improve this team vs bringing back a few players who knew the system and could improve with another year under their belt? Can you name one team who has gone 12-4 and scrapped their WR and DB starters?

..and don't say the Patriots because, well.. they are the Patriots and this is Carolina where they never have back to back winning seasons. Why the hell would you remove 7 or 8 starters from a 12-4 team?

Lets start with the defense... Sure the secondary was exposed when they had to cover when the rush didn't get there but guess what? Most secondaries struggle when the rush doesn't get there. You don't get rid of 4 starters in a secondary unless you don't want to win. Who does that? When the team got pressure the DB's were forcing TO's.. why scrap it? It's called being cheap.

On offense... Ginn was their KR/PR and a decent #3 who had the ability to stretch the field. Who stretches the field now so WR's can get open underneath? No one... LaFell had iffy hands but he knew the offense and he could get decent separation. Now we have a big but slow #1... some white dude with hair and Cotch who was a great possession WR but since we don't have anyone to blow the top off the D he can't get open underneath. The WR corp isn't better this year. Youth doesn't trump leadership, chemistry and vet savvy when it comes to in game adjustments.

The offense was ranked 30th last year because they rarely had to drive 80 yards to score points. It was mostly short fields due to the D. You can't remove this many pieces and expect a similar result.

This team undercut Gross so he bailed on him... they have 2 tackles who were undrafted and people blame Cam for not putting up points?

I know this is due to being in cap hell but cmon, this isn't fair. You don't get rid of half the team after a 12-4 season unless you don't give a crap about winning this year.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Look, there are a million second guessers that came out of the woodwork since this whole suspension thing came out and are saying they shouldn't have franchised him.

NONE of those people had the same opinion last year before this whole incident took part. So, to me, at the time, franchising him was the only logical choice the Panthers had....it was a no-brainer and there were ZERO complaints until this whole thing broke.

Its an extremely unfortunate situation. They are in a terrible spot because he is such an impact player and counts alot against the cap (and not playing). Its killing the defensive performance of this team, which impacts the offense also.

are there any capologists reading this thread that can explain the cap situation for 2015 on different scenerios for Hardy? I'd be interested in seeing that.
not a guru but most talking heads say we can franchise him again, try to work out a long term deal or let him walk.

I say resign him and add a clause in his contract because some other team WILL sign him and get a great player.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:13 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutark Evansby View Post
What was he due to make with the Panthers this year? Keep me honest, he was due to make 8 or 9 million....they cut him loose because they didnt want to pay a 37 yr old receiver that much $$$$ and they were able to save cap space
you don't know what your talking about. he was under contract. you stated he was asking for 8-9 million. He wasn't asking for anything. He had a contract. In the nfl, it doesnt matter what your making, it matters what your cap hit is. be releasing smith when they did it cost the panthers 4 million is dead cap space this year. teams rarely do this. this move was made because gettleman isn't a fan of smith. the panthers would have been a better team with smith on it this year. THey never asked him to take a paycut, a common move done with vets. you give them a bonus, and free up cap space.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:15 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
yep... I believe he was going to count 7 Mill vs the cap this year.

Smith was ran out of town by the GM. I bet if we drafted Benjamin he would have a hard time being the #1 option with Smith on the team so who knows if he made the right move or not.

Gettleman is clearing the books so he can make room for Cam's contract.

The real blame is the last GM who tied up 20 million dollars on 3 RB's who are always injured and rarely get touches when healthy.
felt your spot on, there is so many problems with this team, and most start and end with hurney. that being said, letting smith walk was a mistake totally. cam would have had 3 good targets with smith here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte