Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:39 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times

Advertisements

After moving from Charlotte to Florida a few years back, we live near a Publix and it was a noticeable difference in shopping experience from Harris Teeter (mainly went to Morrocroft). My father in law (still lives in Charlotte) was amazed at the customer service and the offerings in the Deli and Seafood section. He always said if Publix came into Charlotte, they would choke out Harris Teeter. Based on Harris Teeter announcing they were for sale right after the announcement of the South End Publix, I'd believe he was correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 08:43 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksuther View Post
I still go to HT (Blakeney) most of the time because it is less than 5 minutes from the house, but I like Publix also. I will stop at Publix (Providence Rd. West) on the way to pick up my child from daycare during the week. I have no issues with either store. Other than Whole Foods/Earth Fare/Trader Joe's/Fresh Market, I don't shop anywhere else.
Yes this is how I felt as well after going to a Publix. They didn't seem to differentiate themselves much from Harris Teeter so I'll just shop at whichever one is closer. The other places you mentioned offer unique experiences and/or selections. I really wish Charlotte had some more Whole Foods locations.

I find myself having to shop at a combination of HT/Walmart/Aldi's/Whole Foods to get all the things I want.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:51 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times
Chiming in on this, since it's opened in Cary, the only real reason I find myself going to publix more then I go to HT is publix has a a lot of buy one get one free items on almost every aisle. I also like that as far as prepared foods go, there are more toppings in regards to subs. And I like getting free stuff when they walk your cart to you(at first I was like, I'm a grown man I can walk my own dang groceries to my car, but then I learned they were giving away free stuff every time you let them do it, and I like that, things like ice cream(publix ice cream is really good especially the greenwise salted caramel) and other goodies.

Any ways this is the only real difference, customer service, buy one get one free items are more abundant, and I prefer their prepared foods, but HT does have pizza.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
things like ice cream (publix ice cream is really good especially the greenwise salted caramel) and other goodies.
x1000. As evidenced by it frequently being sold out!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:35 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
I often have to wrestle the cart out of the hands of the overzealous employees who just assume instead of asking. They also take it upon themselves to start grabbing stuff out of my cart to throw on the conveyor belt. That puts me on edge, and often makes a publix trip annoying. Their coupon policy is also one of the worst in the area, just a smidge above food lion. If they would just ask instead of getting grabby, it would go a long way.

I also don't have this problem at the Publix at Whitehall Commons area, as they have a self checkout, but it's also further away.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:55 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Being a native of Florida I was excited to see them back but disappointed overall in the store. I only shop there for my Cuban stuff when I need it. Otherwise I am never go there despite having 2 within a few minutes drive from me.

I like to be left alone when I shop personally, I don't want to smile and answer No thank you to over 10 different people in the 10-15 minutes I am there. Seriously, the kids make a game of counting how many people approach us while we go briskly where we need to go and get out. And I actually had the 2 rudest experiences ever during grocery shopping at Publix. Once at the deli and the other at the bakery. I felt like I was in twilight zone as I usually don't have "customer" service issues and of all places at Publix.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:46 PM

372 posts, read 723,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Being a native of Florida I was excited to see them back but disappointed overall in the store. I only shop there for my Cuban stuff when I need it. Otherwise I am never go there despite having 2 within a few minutes drive from me.
More than likely, they are planning a campaign on "How to win you back" as we speak.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I like to be left alone when I shop personally, I don't want to smile and answer No thank you to over 10 different people in the 10-15 minutes I am there. Seriously, the kids make a game of counting how many people approach us while we go briskly where we need to go and get out. And I actually had the 2 rudest experiences ever during grocery shopping at Publix. Once at the deli and the other at the bakery. I felt like I was in twilight zone as I usually don't have "customer" service issues and of all places at Publix.
I know exactly where you're coming from. Workers that are nice, trying to be helpful, bothering those of us who hate any kind of assistance whatsoever, let alone, and God forbid, have a pleasant disposition. They should have special shopping carts marked with "Leave Me Alone" on them, and we wouldn't have this problem.

Stating you were an "Old Grump" in the last Publix thread already explained this.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:37 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
they are too nice..lol. I know it sounds like a weird complaint but it's borderline stepford wife status.

every aisle I have to say no thank you or hello 5 or 6 times. sure, some people like this or need this in their shopping experience but I find it annoying.

it reminds me of a waiter who comes to your table every 2 minutes.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:49 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
More than likely, they are planning a campaign on "How to win you back" as we speak.....

I know exactly where you're coming from. Workers that are nice, trying to be helpful, bothering those of us who hate any kind of assistance whatsoever, let alone, and God forbid, have a pleasant disposition. They should have special shopping carts marked with "Leave Me Alone" on them, and we wouldn't have this problem.

Stating you were an "Old Grump" in the last Publix thread already explained this.
There's really no need to be so snarky. You're personalizing any perceived criticism of Publix...its ok if some people aren't as enamored of a grocery store as you are. It really shouldn't impact you as much as it apparently does.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:17 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post

This is another thread with another poster. I am sure there are other responses in this thread that also were similarly posted in the last Publix thread. Interesting that you singled out my post. Methinks you work for Publix? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte