Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Thanks, I will read through that. With Publix being new to NC, I was just very curious what the reactions were. I suppose when Publix is all over Charlotte and Raleigh, then those who dislike Publix will have warmed up to them and have formed a different opinion.
Out of curiosity, did you ever warm up to Winn Dixie or change your opinion?

Not you personally, but it always surprises me to see people get put off if someone doesn't like an establishment.

The same reason someone likes Publix might be the same reason why another doesn't like it. It doesn't mean it's a bad store, just not right for the person who dislikes it. My most favorite grocery stores are Grand Asia or Super G. Other people dislikes them. Better for me, one less shopper in the aisles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:46 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
I'm all about price when it comes to grocery shopping.

I only goto Harris teeter for instance when eggs are less than 1.50/dozen. It happens every so often so I'll stock up.

HT also had a sale over the weekend.. 2.47/gallon. Who can beat that?

However, I could never do a full weeks shopping at either HT or Publix. I would have the shakes from the overpriced items I'd buy. That is why like some others, I'll goto Wallyworld for my staples and HT/Publix for rare specific items that I must have or on sale (ie HT/eggs/milk)

Customer service to me is extremely overrated EXCEPT in a few departments. I do like when I don't have to wait long at the deli counter. The HT by me is very good at not making me wait. Publix is also very good. Walmart (as you'd expect) is awful...they seemed to be bothered that they have customers. However, when you are buying turkey at 5.99/lb vs. 8.99/9.99 boars head, I'll wait the couple extra minutes...

I don't think there is 1 right or wrong answer for everyone. Each of you have different things that are higher/lower on the importance of a satisfied grocery experience. Price for me is #1.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Customer service to me is extremely overrated EXCEPT in a few departments. I do like when I don't have to wait long at the deli counter. The HT by me is very good at not making me wait. Publix is also very good. Walmart (as you'd expect) is awful...they seemed to be bothered that they have customers. However, when you are buying turkey at 5.99/lb vs. 8.99/9.99 boars head, I'll wait the couple extra minutes...

I don't think there is 1 right or wrong answer for everyone. Each of you have different things that are higher/lower on the importance of a satisfied grocery experience. Price for me is #1.
For me it's quality first then price. I won't go to whole foods if I can get the same quality elsewhere cheaper. (But it's hard to beat those bulk bins!) I love the produce at the two stores I mentioned for the selection and prices. I also like that many of their items are local.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Out of curiosity, did you ever warm up to Winn Dixie or change your opinion?

Not you personally, but it always surprises me to see people get put off if someone doesn't like an establishment.

The same reason someone likes Publix might be the same reason why another doesn't like it. It doesn't mean it's a bad store, just not right for the person who dislikes it. My most favorite grocery stores are Grand Asia or Super G. Other people dislikes them. Better for me, one less shopper in the aisles.
I agree with you. And I know you weren't talking about me, but people do have their own tastes. As far as Winn Dixie, when I last lived in Florida, Sweet Bay was still around. But I never changed my opinion on either of them or warmed up to them.

I just think people look for different things in a grocery store. Some just want the cheap prices and to be able to buy their products (get in and get out), while others actually care about the environment they are shopping in.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post

I just think people look for different things in a grocery store. Some just want the cheap prices and to be able to buy their products (get in and get out), while others actually care about the environment they are shopping in.
Exactly. Only it's not cheap prices for me personally but most definitely in and out. I like to cook, not shop!

Old 08-15-2015, 04:13 PM

348 posts, read 846,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I often have to wrestle the cart out of the hands of the overzealous employees who just assume instead of asking. They also take it upon themselves to start grabbing stuff out of my cart to throw on the conveyor belt. That puts me on edge, and often makes a publix trip annoying. Their coupon policy is also one of the worst in the area, just a smidge above food lion. If they would just ask instead of getting grabby, it would go a long way.

I also don't have this problem at the Publix at Whitehall Commons area, as they have a self checkout, but it's also further away.
Being the introvert that I am, after working 9 hours a day I don't like the five or six employees that bellow at me "how at you doing today m'ame". Plus they do not give me the option of taking my own groceries out to my car. Also, they always want to start a conversation about the food I am buying, and then after forcing themselves on me to carry my groceries to my car, I pop open the trunk and have to answer nosy questions about the common items in my trunk. The Publix in question is the one located at Gold Hill Road in Fort Mill. I emailed the manager about the above behavior and said it would be nice to be left alone to shop in peace and the response was: why don't I stop by and introduce myself the next time I am in their store! Gee, no thanks. That's a great way to really get a bullseye on my forehead.

Anyways, I will go the the HT in Ballantyne on my way home from work, or the Food Lion, or even Aldi's before Publix, just so I don't have to put up with all that harassment.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:16 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times
Default Publix

since I've moved back to Charlotte, I am tickled pink with Publix being here. I shopped at Publix in Atlanta and fell in love with the quality of the products they carry. I swear their produce is grown right behind the store. It amazes me the fresh veggies they carry, not to mention the selection of other items. I am a Publix fan. If you don't want them to take your groceries out, then say that. If you want to unload your cart, then say that. There's nothing wrong with being polite and smiling to someone who speaks to you. I appreciate the customer service.

My mom had a really nice experience with the Publix near her house in the Atlanta suburbs. She was diagnosed with Celiac/Sprue - before it became the "new in disease". She had some life threatening issues and once diagnosed struggled to find the items she needed, The cashier at Publix asked her if she found everything she needed, and she mentioned there were several gluten-free items that the store didn't carry, other Publix stores did. Well the next week she and my dad came into the store and the store manager came up to them and asked, "are you the lady who was looking for more gluten-free items?" Mom said, 'yes" and he asked them to follow him, he'd ordered and set up a whole section of gluten-free items and asked her if there was anything specific she needed. She mentioned a couple of things, and the next week they were stocked. We laughed because we knew the cashier probably told the manager that that "little old white lady who shops here asked about more gluten-free items" because the area demographics at that store was probably 85-90% black. A simple comment to the cashier and they bent over backward for her - a single customer. I realize there probably were more people who bought the gluten-free items, but her comment brought it to the store managers attention.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:50 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
since I've moved back to Charlotte, I am tickled pink with Publix being here. I shopped at Publix in Atlanta and fell in love with the quality of the products they carry. I swear their produce is grown right behind the store. It amazes me the fresh veggies they carry, not to mention the selection of other items. I am a Publix fan. If you don't want them to take your groceries out, then say that. If you want to unload your cart, then say that. There's nothing wrong with being polite and smiling to someone who speaks to you. I appreciate the customer service.

My mom had a really nice experience with the Publix near her house in the Atlanta suburbs. She was diagnosed with Celiac/Sprue - before it became the "new in disease". She had some life threatening issues and once diagnosed struggled to find the items she needed, The cashier at Publix asked her if she found everything she needed, and she mentioned there were several gluten-free items that the store didn't carry, other Publix stores did. Well the next week she and my dad came into the store and the store manager came up to them and asked, "are you the lady who was looking for more gluten-free items?" Mom said, 'yes" and he asked them to follow him, he'd ordered and set up a whole section of gluten-free items and asked her if there was anything specific she needed. She mentioned a couple of things, and the next week they were stocked. We laughed because we knew the cashier probably told the manager that that "little old white lady who shops here asked about more gluten-free items" because the area demographics at that store was probably 85-90% black. A simple comment to the cashier and they bent over backward for her - a single customer. I realize there probably were more people who bought the gluten-free items, but her comment brought it to the store managers attention.
I went to Publix once and I had to DEMAND they not take my groceries to my car. It was weird. It was during ther grand opening so I know they were trying to make an impression but it was the wrong one.

If I say no thank you, respect my answer instead of asking if I'm sure? Positively sure, absolutely sure?

As far asfresh veggies, I can get those from the Farmers Market or Trader Joes or HT or Walmart...

I know people love Publix but sometimes their fans make it sound like they invented food.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:22 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I know people love Publix but sometimes their fans make it sound like they invented food.
THIS (times 100!).

I don't care for Publix. I always felt they were overpriced and I just don't need that when I shop for our food. I'd rather buy the same items for a lot less at Food Lion or even (gawd forbid ) WalMart.

I do tendf to shop the sales at the local HT, but I don't do my weekly shopping there either.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:59 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
THIS (times 100!).

I don't care for Publix. I always felt they were overpriced and I just don't need that when I shop for our food. I'd rather buy the same items for a lot less at Food Lion or even (gawd forbid ) WalMart.

I do tendf to shop the sales at the local HT, but I don't do my weekly shopping there either.
I will admit, their bakery is top notch... but its too far away for us at the moment so we spread our shopping around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte