Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,011 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Due to moving 4x I missed the date to pay my speeding ticket fine, so now my court date is imminent. I have a clean record in NC (I got my NC DL AFTER I received the ticket) and a clean record prior in TN.

My ticket is 80 in 65 mph zone. Do I hire a lawyer or go myself and show the DA my clean driving record & ask/hope for a reduction in fine?

Would I need my TN driving record (the license I had at the time of ticket) AND my NC driving record? Or can I simply bring the newer NC record?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 12:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwide View Post
Hello!

Due to moving 4x I missed the date to pay my speeding ticket fine, so now my court date is imminent. I have a clean record in NC (I got my NC DL AFTER I received the ticket) and a clean record prior in TN.

My ticket is 80 in 65 mph zone. Do I hire a lawyer or go myself and show the DA my clean driving record & ask/hope for a reduction in fine?

Would I need my TN driving record (the license I had at the time of ticket) AND my NC driving record? Or can I simply bring the newer NC record?

TIA.
If you have a clean record and able to provide it, then just show up by yourself and clean records without an attorney and ask for PFJ (prayer for judgment) You might want to have TN records notarized so the court knows its not fake.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:15 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,070,151 times
Hire a lawyer. Pay 300 bucks and move on with saved time/headache.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:42 PM

547 posts, read 774,613 times
Speeding is ok in NC as long as you have a clean record.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:09 PM

Proud Father is correct, is why you will need notarized clean record (best bet) Since it not in normal NC records format.
The only expense is time worth it to maintain a clean record and you will pay nothing by asking for a PFJ.
No attorney or court cost is needed for a PFJ in your situation.

This is from Rowan Traffic Court site

Quote:

Traffic Court every Friday at 8:30 a.m. except for holidays - each person with a citation will have the opportunity to speak with an Assistant District Attorney before his/her case is called before the judge. The Assistant District Attorney is not allowed to give legal advice, however, some cases may be negotiated and reduced.
Assuming this court traffic court like others I been in. Its a first come first called so arrive early with pockets empty except wallet. Leave cell, anything including jewelry with metal in a car for expedited clearance through security.
You might be out of there by 9:30 unless they do the A-Z of last names.
Love updates in this thread and good luck.

Another thing is to go with the flow of traffic, never ahead and recommended to me by members of this forum is download Waze.
It lets you know where cops are,traffic jams and road hazards. (However still use caution as you might be first to see the hazard)

Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,070,151 times
You can only burn your PFJ once.

I would look for other alternatives unless you are absolutely 100% positive you won't be pulled over for speeding in the future. Everyone values their time/money differently, but I think taking 300 bucks and not having to worry about it with the help of a lawyer is worth it. Whatever you do, don't pay it immediately as the cost of your insurance hike will be painful if you choose not to fight it. It's frustrating just how much of a "system" they have set up with processing reductions for those that can afford a lawyer and screwing everyone else.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:45 PM

I think a clean record demonstrates the OP is a good driver and likely not to obtain another ticket in three years. (That how far back the ADA asked for records my last appearance in a close by county). If it is available, use it.
If ADA reduces the ticket then a PFJ cant be used for awhile and the clean record is blemished.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:45 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
You can only burn your PFJ once.

I would look for other alternatives unless you are absolutely 100% positive you won't be pulled over for speeding in the future. Everyone values their time/money differently, but I think taking 300 bucks and not having to worry about it with the help of a lawyer is worth it. Whatever you do, don't pay it immediately as the cost of your insurance hike will be painful if you choose not to fight it. It's frustrating just how much of a "system" they have set up with processing reductions for those that can afford a lawyer and screwing everyone else.
Esse is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !!!

Don't burn your PJC or PFJ until you are forced to because there is no alternative.

Hire a lawyer and get the charge reduced to improper equipment. No insurance points.

While you may be able to get another PJC or PFJ, your insurance company will likely not honor another one regardless of the time lapse between them.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:47 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think a clean record demonstrates the OP is a good driver and likely not to obtain another ticket in three years. (That how far back the ADA asked for records my last appearance in a close by county). If it is available, use it.
If ADA reduces the ticket then a PFJ cant be used for awhile and the clean record is blemished.

You really don't care how far back the ADA looks.

Your concern should be your insurance.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
You really don't care how far back the ADA looks.

Your concern should be your insurance.
With a PFJ, it not going to effect insurance or their record.

Since Rowan does the same as Randolph with pre-appearance with ADA, even if PFJ not used the ADA will reduce it to be within 7 miles over and insurance will not be affected. No attorney expense is needed assuming the OP can sacrifice a Friday morning.

I'm speaking from experience, as I had the same amount over , but showed up with no records so I couldn't do the PFJ.
The ADA reduced by half over and my insurance has stayed the same.
Unfortunately, I had court costs. The OP is a perfect candidate to use a PFJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: