Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM

132 posts, read 445,064 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I have been wanting to move for sometime. The main reason why I want to move is our neighborhood and how difficult it is to make friends here. The people are polite but it is VERY difficult to find those who want to make new friends. We have been in this neighborhood for almost 4 yrs and I still don't know half the people on my court and have gone 3+ months without seeing most of my neighbors. People are rarely outside, even on beautiful days. So I am looking for an area to live where people actually want to be friends with the people they live around. People in the "South" have a stereotype of being very friendly and it seems that this is true from what I have read on this site. But I am wondering if this is really true. Am I being realistic about what I want or has society just changed so much that I am being unrealistic? Thanks for any experiences you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times
You'd have to be a recluse not to see people out in my neighborhood every moment of the day. People working in their yard, walking their dogs, kids running crazy everywhere, drivers waving as they pass, washing their cars (sans drought of course). We've met so many people in my neighborhood and I'd say it's a pretty good indicator of what one could expect from the rest of the region.

For what it's worth, I'm a native Charlottean and most of the people I meet are transplants. So whether you're local or a recent transplant, I think it's the general vibe of the south that puts people at ease and comfortable to be outgoing and sociable.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
You'd have to be a recluse not to see people out in my neighborhood every moment of the day. People working in their yard, walking their dogs, kids running crazy everywhere, drivers waving as they pass, washing their cars (sans drought of course). We've met so many people in my neighborhood and I'd say it's a pretty good indicator of what one could expect from the rest of the region.

For what it's worth, I'm a native Charlottean and most of the people I meet are transplants. So whether you're local or a recent transplant, I think it's the general vibe of the south that puts people at ease and comfortable to be outgoing and sociable.
+1

Yup, what he said. Within the first week of being here, I was waving to all the passers-by, even though I don't know them personally, just like everyone in our neighborhood does.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 PM

120 posts, read 340,418 times
You are absolutely right...that is some of our same reasons as well...we have been in our home for going on 8 years barely know our neighbors...still wandering where all of the children are..I know they live around here I talked to moms in school but NONE of the kids are outside..I really think its th eplay station, wii,xbox and computers that are doing it...We long for neighbors like I had growing up..we had barbecques together..would just stop by to say hi...dinners..vacations..Dads got together..football games..Holidays..just plain being a neighborhood family...and I miss the neighborhood block parties....We are so hoping to have that in NC..from our visit it seems as tho we will...people were just so kind an dwe were afraid that they wouldnt be because we are from the North but they were so gracious...

Old 02-25-2008, 07:56 PM

116 posts, read 418,267 times
AMAZING! We have the same experience living in California. I started to THINK - IT'S ME. I am Czech living with American husband in southern California for the last 1,5 year and was not able to MAKE ONE FRIEND here. I don't know why. We don't know our neighbors except one Vietnamese family. I have a neighbor with the same age children and invited her and her husband and children for dinner to our home. We had a good time and was hoping to arrange a play date. It never happened and it has been almost 1 year.

We lived in Florida for 3 years and met a lot of nice people that we keep in touch with. In fact we have friends coming to visit us and stay with us next month for a week. It's interesting to see how difficult is to meet people here. Any idea why? Yes, we also lived in San Francisco but it was the time "before kids" so we had different life-style.

Last edited by Julia1997; 02-25-2008 at 08:13 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Actually most of the people in my neighborhood keep to themselves. I know the neighbors on my side of the street & that's about it. YMMV

Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM

148 posts, read 468,084 times
Having lived in several states, I think that it really depends on the ratio of new transplants to locals. Locals have their social connections and often family members in place and may not have time to reach out. I once lived in a relatively new neighborhood but the majority of residents were locals who moved from another part of town. If you live in an area where most are transplants, you will find many who want to make new friendships, etc.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 PM

38 posts, read 113,380 times
I wish that I could tell you that you will move here and be invited to neighborhood block parties and never-ending social events, but the south is changing and that old-fashioned view is changing as well. Many people are polite, but they still keep to themselves. If you are into church activities, then you will meet alot of people and network fairly quickly. (Remember, this is still the Bible Belt!) Also, there are alot of professional groups in the area that offer very positive interactions, but overrall, you may have some of the same experiences as you are having in San Fran.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:20 PM

132 posts, read 445,064 times
Are there many Catholics in Charlotte and are they treated like everyone else?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
Are there many Catholics in Charlotte and are they treated like everyone else?
Yes, there are many catholics in the area. No one around here is really treated unequally. Only thing that matters is respect for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte