Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:44 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This thread serves an important purpose.

If it wasn't for finding this thread, I would have had no idea there was a need to avoid HOAs.

Furthermore, the rude treatment some HOA supporters are displaying in this thread just validates the importance of avoiding HOAs.

Go ahead, insult and make fun of people all you want, kmway and carolinagirrrrrls.
If you think that anyone on here is insulting or rude, then you are too delicate for the internet.

You complainers can't seem to grasp the elementary notion that it is a CONTRACT that you NEED NOT enter into, ok? Complaining on THREE THREADS about HOAs is the most ridiculous thing I have seen on this site in ages.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:14 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
kmway

I agree with you and learned my lesson about moving to a neighborhood with an HOA. This is a hard learned lesson and although I may complain, I am just venting and sorry if ya'all are tired of hearing it. I now it will not change and am satisfied with that however I am now on the lookout for the perfect house on at least 1 acre out in the middle of nowhere with cows or deer or all of the above as neighbors, LOL. Boy do I miss that. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
If you think that anyone on here is insulting or rude, then you are too delicate for the internet.
The internet and HOA's aren't for the delicate. And that's not rude, huh?

Quote:
You complainers can't seem to grasp the elementary notion that it is a CONTRACT that you NEED NOT enter into, ok?
It's an easy concept to grasp if people already knows such a thing exists. HOAs are NOT the norm across the country. Imagine how much time and money people would waste house hunting without knowing ahead of time that the area is littered with HOAs. People spent a lot of money traveling to the area to house hunt. There's no reason they should waste days only to find out that the house they want has an HOA they don't want. Let them learn about HOAs here. Then most people will know before they come to the area. I would think that HOAs would prefer INFORMED families purchasing homes.

Quote:
Complaining on THREE THREADS about HOAs is the most ridiculous thing I have seen on this site in ages.
Three threads? I had to do a thread search to find this one from December 2006. Please post some links to the other threads so I can read them too.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:23 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Seriously, there are 4 HOA threads on the first three pages. This is getting ridiculous.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:27 PM

132 posts, read 449,240 times
Quote:
Seriously, there are 4 HOA threads on the first three pages. This is getting ridiculous.
Hmmm....if so many are complaining about them, perhaps there's a reason, no? It's not ridiculous--HOAs have no business existing. Private property is private property.

They're just another way to give a small group of people the ability to control others. I hear you on the HOA being everyone, and that the board can't act alone and all that stuff. Guess what? They can and do--my earlier capacity comment is based on past history--it's been done. Abuses are there, so no matter what your particular HOA does or has done in the past, it doesn't clear the appropriateness for all HOAs.

People who think they know better are never to be trusted with power of any sort. Control over others is exactly what HOAs are all about.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:14 PM

85 posts, read 281,583 times
In FLorida they're called condo commandosLOLOL...HOA's, like most things, are good in concept, but poor in practice...especially when you have people who know very little about privacy in the first place...quite often, they are a place for people who have no 'regular' job to become pseudo-employed...there are many States which restrit the boundaries of HOA's ad what they can and cannot enforce...I am currently developoing a subdivision without an HOA, and it is often one of the most common questions I get: What can or can't we do? After living in many places where HOA's and Condo associations attempt to curtail your freedom, I decided not to develop in that manner...most of the HOA's start out as a good concept to keep the common areas like pools and parks, manicured and clean, and the electricity paid for the residents use...but it has become a frightening trend to see these things mutate into NAzi-like Stepford home enforcers...virtually EVERY building jurisdiction has Code Enorecemet which should be utilized, but instead the HOA's have taken it upon themselves to implement their own little government...do your research and demand to meet ALL of the HOA members to see if you have any Q's for them...and by all means, get yourself involved...it's shocking to see how many of these HOA's have their own rackets and kickbacks for lawn service, pool service, etc, etc...quite sad actually.

PS: Miker69, how do YOU get the ability to censor posts?...please enlighten the rest of us on how to vote YOU out? No offense, but, but you offend me and I'd like to see you removed from this position...to whom would I send my suggestion?

Last edited by gatorbuilt28036; 07-08-2007 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-08-2007, 03:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbuilt28036 View Post
In FLorida they're called condo commandosLOLOL...HOA's, like most things, are good in concept, but poor in practice...especially when you have people who know very little about privacy in the first place...quite often, they are a place for people who have no 'regular' job to become pseudo-employed...there are many States which restrit the boundaries of HOA's ad what they can and cannot enforce...I am currently developoing a subdivision without an HOA, and it is often one of the most common questions I get: What can or can't we do? After living in many places where HOA's and Condo associations attempt to curtail your freedom, I decided not to develop in that manner...most of the HOA's start out as a good concept to keep the common areas like pools and parks, manicured and clean, and the electricity paid for the residents use...but it has become a frightening trend to see these things mutate into NAzi-like Stepford home enforcers...virtually EVERY building jurisdiction has Code Enorecemet which should be utilized, but instead the HOA's have taken it upon themselves to implement their own little government...do your research and demand to meet ALL of the HOA members to see if you have any Q's for them...and by all means, get yourself involved...it's shocking to see how many of these HOA's have their own rackets and kickbacks for lawn service, pool service, etc, etc...quite sad actually.

PS: Miker69, how do YOU get the ability to censor posts?...please enlighten the rest of us on how to vote YOU out? No offense, but, but you offend me and I'd like to see you removed from this position...to whom would I send my suggestion?

No offense but you are offended?

Miker2069 is a moderator and a good moderator at that. Too many times moderators OVER moderate, something I have never seen him do. He actually does a great job at posting and moderating. I think your request is offensive.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:07 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Actually, he has helped me more than once to find out info. He is the last person I would want to see go.

dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbuilt28036 View Post

Old 07-08-2007, 07:46 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Ditto to what lovesMountains and DawnW say!! Anyone that has been on this site for any length of time will tell you the same thing. Good Job Miker2069!

LTC

Old 07-08-2007, 08:14 PM

85 posts, read 362,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No offense but you are offended?

Miker2069 is a moderator and a good moderator at that. Too many times moderators OVER moderate, something I have never seen him do. He actually does a great job at posting and moderating. I think your request is offensive.
L'ngMAO!!!! Any good moderator would recognize this as not related to the original post and not only off topic but totally unrelated to Charlotte. I believe that calls for deletion of the post! What say you Miker2069??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte