Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 11:09 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
Autistic kids can lose their tempers and respond inappropriately. For example, my stepson is high level autistic and quite often, his step brothers pick on him which is normal with kids. He will get mad and react like any other kid and chase one or call him a unintelligent (funny) name in anger, but it is forgotten history five minutes later. The thing that normally sets those with autism aside from those that aren't autistic is that it is extremely unlikely for him/her to make a plan to go to a "social" environment like a school for some type of revenge or premeditated violence. There are too many non-typical facets involved. As you say, "autism doesn't mean violent." The most extreme form of violence is self-destruction, i.e. head banging, etc.
Yes to the head banging. They had a few head bangers over the years. My sister would have the violent students removed asap after testing because they scared the other students, who fell into an array of diagnosis including autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 11:24 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I realize that Autism doesn't mean violent. I know some kids with Autism and in one particularly it means impulsive.

Autism also means a problem with their executive function (reasoning and problem solving) So if there was a problem, this is how he decided to solve it.

The red flags to me are that he planned this and settled on this location. I wouldn't think that he would be so organized that he could plan this though there are varying degrees of being on the spectrum.
I had a friend who had adopted a child with autism who was violent but he had a number of other problems besides the autism. At that, the violence was never planned. It was always random and more frequently self destructive.

This shooter planned out the shooting. If the autism played a part in this it was to the victims' advantage. He was easily distracted and stopped shooting. I'm pretty sure that there was another problem that overruled the autism.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:06 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
You’re really onto something with this and most people don’t realize it. A seemingly growing number of young men these days are depressed/lonely/bitter about being ignored by women and excluded from dating/social activities. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that is the case with this guy.

Social media has changed the way people interact and date these days and a lot more young men are being left out of the dating game than in generations past. There was a recent report that came out saying a whopping 30% of them weren’t having sex at all. That can drive a young guy insane.
No...people realize it, but what's the solution?

A person who reacts violently to an unpleasant situation is a person with character flaws. The focal point should not be upon the circumstances that surrounded the shooter, our focus should be upon how the shooter chose to deal with his circumstances.

Colleges are fully staffed with councilors, groups which assist is socializing students, etc. To what extent should the college go to, to socialize people with antisocial tendencies?

If the shooter pulled out of a class where his victims resided, it's likely that that's where the problem lied. Maybe a girl rebuffed him; maybe he couldn't make the grade, was ridiculed by other students for the answers that he gave. Does this give him cause to go and shoot people?

Old 05-03-2019, 01:30 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
No...people realize it, but what's the solution?

A person who reacts violently to an unpleasant situation is a person with character flaws. The focal point should not be upon the circumstances that surrounded the shooter, our focus should be upon how the shooter chose to deal with his circumstances.

Colleges are fully staffed with councilors, groups which assist is socializing students, etc. To what extent should the college go to, to socialize people with antisocial tendencies?

If the shooter pulled out of a class where his victims resided, it's likely that that's where the problem lied. Maybe a girl rebuffed him; maybe he couldn't make the grade, was ridiculed by other students for the answers that he gave. Does this give him cause to go and shoot people?
It starts way before college and by the time they get to HS/college that's the solution they've come up with. How do we help them come up with a different solution?

Old 05-03-2019, 01:39 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Who cares if he was autistic, he smiled for the camera when being pulled into the cop station. The guy is a sociopath and a danger to society.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:19 PM

I thought this was a good read from the professor of the Anthropology class in Kennedy Hall.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/teacher-...dent/945252191

There is a link in the article to his blog.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:35 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Who cares if he was autistic, he smiled for the camera when being pulled into the cop station. The guy is a sociopath and a danger to society.
Exactly.

Quote:
It starts way before college and by the time they get to HS/college that's the solution they've come up with. How do we help them come up with a different solution?
Simple.

My solution: the only thing that stopped the killer, was the poor hero/young man who lost his life, in addition to the armed police officer who mitigated the threat.

Earlier in the thread, a poster noted that NYC is one of the safest cities in the US, and that we needed to study the success of that City, and (possibly) employ their tactics.

There are many different factors at play with NYC's low crime rate, but one of them is that many areas are overpoliced. This means that a threat is oftentimes put down before they get the chance to act out.

I am sure that UNC has security, but are their officers armed?

Old 05-04-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Exactly.

Simple.

My solution: the only thing that stopped the killer, was the poor hero/young man who lost his life, in addition to the armed police officer who mitigated the threat.

Earlier in the thread, a poster noted that NYC is one of the safest cities in the US, and that we needed to study the success of that City, and (possibly) employ their tactics.

There are many different factors at play with NYC's low crime rate, but one of them is that many areas are overpoliced. This means that a threat is oftentimes put down before they get the chance to act out.

I am sure that UNC has security, but are their officers armed?

Riley Howell is a hero and I was happy to hear that he will get a full military burial. He deserves it with his ultimate sacrifice and bravery.

That being said, according to what I read the shooter had a handgun and when it was empty sat on the ground and said I'm done. He was taken into custody in a quick manner due to the campus police. They heard the shots and went running.

We need to know the why to stop them from happening from the very beginning. More school psychologists and more ways to combat the isolation some kids feel through middle and high school.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:48 PM

834 posts, read 1,017,081 times
Quote:
I thought this was a good read from the professor of the Anthropology class in Kennedy Hall.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/teacher-...dent/945252191

There is a link in the article to his blog.
You can also just look at the social life of all the killers.. It's not hard to figure out they are all social misfits who get triggered by bullying and rejection..

Old 05-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
You can also just look at the social life of all the killers.. It's not hard to figure out they are all social misfits who get triggered by bullying and rejection..
Then why isn't something being done for the "social misfits"? They could have social programs set up in middle school to help combat the rejection and bullying that happens.

I'm a parent of a child with a processing delay and he struggles socially. It's hard to see what he goes through at times as kids can be *******s especially when it comes to other kids that are "different".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte