Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:10 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
The problem is, say they do hold onto these "thugs" in jail, then what? WE won't have room for them all. So some of them will have to be let back onto the streets and the trend will continue. Unless we want to pay more taxes. That would put in more jails, fund more money into the judicial system. I think people need to realize that everything comes at a price and that stricter laws are probably going to mean more $ coming out of our paychecks. Which I am okay with, but I have a funny feeling that some people are not going to welcome this.
So, what do you suggest we do? Let them roam the streets like they are now? I didn't think so. If you want to get into a discussion about jail overcrowding that's another matter. If need be, let the non-violent offenders (drug USERS, bad check writers, etc) out on parole or strict probation, and make more room for the real thugs that pose a danger to us.

If it comes down to it, I'll pay extra taxes for a safer community. But this is where politics really come into play. You know how much $$$$ is being wasted on programs that are not even working? Let's see the politicians spend the money more efficiently and we wouldn't have a funding problem. In the short term, though, I'd much rather pay a little extra then to see the trash walk the streets to repeat their crimes over and over. Ever heard of common sense????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 04:18 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
So, what do you suggest we do? Let them roam the streets like they are now? I didn't think so. If you want to get into a discussion about jail overcrowding that's another matter. If need be, let the non-violent offenders (drug USERS, bad check writers, etc) out on parole or strict probation, and make more room for the real thugs that pose a danger to us.

If it comes down to it, I'll pay extra taxes for a safer community. But this is where politics really come into play. You know how much $$$$ is being wasted on programs that are not even working? Let's see the politicians spend the money more efficiently and we wouldn't have a funding problem. In the short term, though, I'd much rather pay a little extra then to see the trash walk the streets to repeat their crimes over and over. Ever heard of common sense????
Are you asking me if I have ever heard of common sense??? B/c I really don't know where you are going with this post. B/c like I have said I have no problem paying higher taxes, but if I do I want to make sure it is really going to go to fixing these problems, all of them, one of them isn't going to do anything.

No, overcrowding in jail is not another matter at all. It is the same matter, if they do the crime, how can they do the time if there is no room for them in jail??? Why are police even going to bother to continue to arrest the same street thugs when they know they will be back on the street in a few days? The system is broken, all of it needs to be fixed, we need more 9-1-1 operators, more police officers, more jails, stricter laws, better judicial system, all of that is going to mean way more $$ comimg out of our paychecks. So yes I have common sense.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I agree but in another sense, how much is it going to take? And is the $ really going to go to putting more police on the streets, build more jails, etc?? B/c really, having CMPD response time being between 30-45 minutes in an emergency is just flat out rediculous. Now I know they work hard, and I know they must get frustrated arresting the same thugs over and over only to have them back on the streets again and again, but they are grossy understaffed in the burbs. So even if we do pay more in taxes, do you think the cmpd response time will change to a reasonable time frame in an emergency, say 5 minutes tops? And obviously we need more dispatchers too as a bunch of us have stated our "on hold for 5 minutes with the 911 operators" here. Which is also a big problem. So I think that even when our taxes go up, this system is going to take years to fix. I'm wondering how it became so broken in the first place.
You are so right. The PD is understaffed. I guess we can attribute this in large part to the overwhelming growth in the area. These problems may have to be naturally worked out over the next few years. Don't get me wrong - I do not believe that raising taxes is the solution to everything. I am a very conservative person. I think that the current "overcrowding" problems in the jails can be handled without raising any taxes. It takes an efficient, real justice system, which waved bye-bye to this area and many others long ago. All we can do as concerned citizens is take advantage of our democratic system, VOTE, and hold the lawmakers and politicians accountable for their actions.

In the meantime, a dead armed robber never crowded a jail. We have the Second Amendment. If the thugs had their "co-workers" dropping dead left and right while robbing the elderly couple and soccer mom, they would probably re-think their career choice.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Are you asking me if I have ever heard of common sense??? B/c I really don't know where you are going with this post.
I apologize if my post came across as a little insulting. But the way I took your post is that we shouldn't be locking up the violent criminals for longer periods of time. I mistakenly took you as a bleeding heart that wanted to invest more in extra programs or that wanted to overlook the problem alltogether. I see you are concerned as well with this issue, but I personally believe there are ways we can better the crime issue by putting the thugs in jail, where they belong - and not back into the streets, whatever it takes, we need to accomplish this.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:15 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I apologize if my post came across as a little insulting. But the way I took your post is that we shouldn't be locking up the violent criminals for longer periods of time. I mistakenly took you as a bleeding heart that wanted to invest more in extra programs or that wanted to overlook the problem alltogether. I see you are concerned as well with this issue, but I personally believe there are ways we can better the crime issue by putting the thugs in jail, where they belong - and not back into the streets, whatever it takes, we need to accomplish this.
Hahaha, heck no, I do not want them back on the street. The funny thing is cmpd tell us, "do not fight back." "Let them take what they want from you." Did the 92 year old women fight back? She probably did exactly what he told her to do thinking he would leave and she would be okay, and look where that sadly landed her? That guy was a career criminal back on the street. What we need to do is fight back. If more citizens had their license to carry and more of these thugs dropped dead from a gunshot after trying to hurt, rob, or kill someone, I know I for one wouldn't shed a tear. "An eye for an eye." Now I don't think I could honestly ever pull the trigger, but hey if more people did I bet a lot of the robbers wouldn't risk their life for $20. B/c gosh, the cmpd are such a nice afterthought, as in they show up 40 minutes after the crime has been commited. If you were hurt, you could very well bleed to death, if you had hopes that the perp would be caught, it probably isn't likely. Too many people rely on the cmpd here to protect them when the reality is they can't protect us, only we can protect us. I agree with you, I don't think that any programs work for criminals. I think they are all a waste of tax dollars. I honestly don't believe that criminals can be rehabilitated.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:29 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Are you asking me if I have ever heard of common sense??? B/c I really don't know where you are going with this post. B/c like I have said I have no problem paying higher taxes, but if I do I want to make sure it is really going to go to fixing these problems, all of them, one of them isn't going to do anything.

No, overcrowding in jail is not another matter at all. It is the same matter, if they do the crime, how can they do the time if there is no room for them in jail??? Why are police even going to bother to continue to arrest the same street thugs when they know they will be back on the street in a few days? The system is broken, all of it needs to be fixed, we need more 9-1-1 operators, more police officers, more jails, stricter laws, better judicial system, all of that is going to mean way more $$ comimg out of our paychecks. So yes I have common sense.
This exact situation was addressed by the Philadelphia DA yesterday. She was hopping mad & wants the judges to start to impose stricter sentences because that will kick the criminals to the state prisons & relieve the overcrowding in the county jails. Check to see if it applies in NC. If it does, go with it.

cbs3.com - D.A. Warns Of Prison Overcrowding Fallout (http://cbs3.com/local/prison.release.overcrowding.2.703337.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte