Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 20,048 times

Advertisements

I did not mean to start an argument, I just miss my New YoRicans and the flavor and music and attitude. So Harrisburg is where they all are at. I need to startme an restaurant, my husband can cook and I can give him the directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:13 AM

895 posts, read 2,365,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanagirl View Post
I did not mean to start an argument, I just miss my New YoRicans and the flavor and music and attitude. So Harrisburg is where they all are at. I need to startme an restaurant, my husband can cook and I can give him the directions.
Espana girl? Are you puerto rican or spanish? Spanish=spain=european/white. MAny people confuse the term spanish with latin americans, you would never call an american english because he speaks english, english=england.

Anyway on the people talking about culture, Charotte has a southern culture I'm guessing, and an american culture. American culture is the most prevalent in the world right now mostly because of large companies advertising and globalisation. I'm japanese and we have one of the oldest and strongest cultures in the world, and even so i never understood why latin americans would move to US and then say the US has no culture. Just because their definition of culture is not the same as a latin americans doesnt mean they dont have culture. Americans have a very unique and distinctly american culture. Just because they dont eat your food or listen to your music doesnt mean there is no culture. Actually american music is the most influential in the world.

And once again im not even american, but coming from one of the worlds oldest cultures i can clearly say americans have a culture, and i love it.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
Some people are down right rude on this forum.. it always has to turn into a debate b/c people miss where they used to live. Very human nature and nothing wrong with that.. just leave the OP alone. Perhaps Charlotte has culture but a DIFFERENT kind than they are used to or are looking for.. don't be so defensive gee whiz.
I assume that you are referring to my posting? I have a bad habit of commenting when one makes a statement that is misleading, wrong, unneccessarily insulting or simply inaccurate. The comments to which I responded were not that the culture was "different", it was that there reference was to what they considered culture but was not "culture".
My response is, 'understand a situation before you become a critic'. Additionally, I believe that I explained in my last couple of sentences that I was only pointing out to a subscriber that NASCAR is not a culture. GEE WHIZ

Maki, nice posting.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 PM

28 posts, read 103,212 times
-Maki-Chan might it be generican. (not referring to anything specific just offering him/her a term)

-My hubby and I are coming down soon.... lookin at Charlotte, we'll bring you some pasteles He wants to open a restaurant too... wants to call it Papa's Big Burrito LOL, I told him that wasn't going to fly down there.

Where is a place in charlotte.. low crime/ semi PR ?? need to know. I'm Italian, Hubby's PR

Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM

311 posts, read 915,491 times
bandi.. I wasn't referring to your post actually. Northern italian girl right here =D Anyway, I was referring to a few posts before that.. I didn't even look back to see who it was, but it just always appears if someone says something about Charlotte missing something b/c they miss something from where they're from (but they don't mean it as an attack on charlotte), they get attacked! Drives me nuts!

Old 03-03-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
bandi.. I wasn't referring to your post actually. Northern italian girl right here =D Anyway, I was referring to a few posts before that.. I didn't even look back to see who it was, but it just always appears if someone says something about Charlotte missing something b/c they miss something from where they're from (but they don't mean it as an attack on charlotte), they get attacked! Drives me nuts!
Sorry home. I sort of thought you were referring to another post.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 PM

248 posts, read 747,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanagirl View Post
We have been living in N.C. for 11 years and can't seem to find new yorkers any where or puertoricans restaurants.
You mean Puerto Rican restaurants?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 AM

What is a Puerto Rican restaurant? I thought they were just restaurants in Puerto Rico. I have been all over Central America and the Caribbean and can't remember seeing a Puerto Rican restaurant, per se. Isn't Puerto Rican food a combination of Hispanic foods from different Hispanic countries. For example, I lived in Panama and I don't recall any restaurants being called Panamanian Restaurants. They sold local stuff like mussles, etc. but they were all local. Just curious, are there Puerto Rican restaurants that specialize in Puerto Rican dishes?

Old 03-05-2009, 04:53 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Default Sit tight...

I would suspect with the economy the way it is in Puerto Rico right now Mainland USA will get a lot more Puerto Ricans in the very near future.
I was in PR a few weeks ago and saw for my self how poorly they are doing.
See article below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/04/us...er=rss&emc=rss

Old 03-06-2009, 07:33 PM

12 posts, read 19,111 times
Hi espangirl,
Just wanted to let you know that I’m puertorican living just outside of CLT. At first I was just reading thread with no intentions of giving my personal opinion but when I read about that idiot talking crap about my island that got to me.... Because I can tell you that I was born and raised in Tampa FL lived there and I also leaved in PR and Las Vegas and now here and I can tell you that you're 100% correct about your comments. This is the first place that I’ve lived that I feel like a minority I’ve had people ask me for my green card..... People we the puertoricans can come and go with no restrictions whatsoever!!!! Like I said before I’ve been here for 1.5 years and since I got here I’m trying to move back to Tampa and leave this place for the cuellos rojos!!!

Let me apologizes to anyone that I have offended except for Amploud. Before you start criticizing other countries make sure you look in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte