Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 PM

9 posts, read 43,617 times

Advertisements

I've found a number of posts on this forum of people full of praise for Waxhaw, but I have to disagree with that sentiment. While Waxhaw is still full of the friendliest people I've ever come across in a community, it's turned into a jumbled mess of ridiculous traffic congestion at most hours of the day. The building projects are out of control (a Lowe's and several mega shopping centers on a 2 lane road? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???) and driving down Providence Road around noon is like driving through Egypt with the sandstorms from construction, heavy congestion, and relentless heat when the many heatwaves come.

People, don't be fooled by all the Waxhaw praise. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it is coming from developers who stand to benefit from you moving here.

Last edited by linicx; 06-19-2010 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: Per request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,397,826 times
we love living in waxhaw its a shame u feel that way, coming from an up and coming town in NJ we had the same things like this, and well it was the place to live...Your also forgetting Waxhaw has great schools, with every growing town there is going to be bad infrastructure, and alot of congestion and traffic either you learn to deal with it or move..Generally speaking of course....No where is perfect and what do u expect considering Union County is the fastest county that has grown like it has...and let me add Heatwave? well considering waxhaw is in NC I am assuming you dont like the whole heatwave thing maybe NC isnt for you?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
we love living in waxhaw its a shame u feel that way, coming from an up and coming town in NJ we had the same things like this, and well it was the place to live...Your also forgetting Waxhaw has great schools, with every growing town there is going to be bad infrastructure, and alot of congestion and traffic either you learn to deal with it or move..Generally speaking of course....No where is perfect and what do u expect considering Union County is the fastest county that has grown like it has...and let me add Heatwave? well considering waxhaw is in NC I am assuming you dont like the whole heatwave thing maybe NC isnt for you?
I know Union County has had explosive growth and this has been to the detriment of its quality of life, especially in places like Waxhaw. Waxhaw simply wasn't equipped to deal with it, especially not with its elected officials at the town and county level.

As for the heat wave thing, I only threw that one in there to show how horrible these summer commutes can be. The sandstorms and horrible traffic jams are made that much worse when it gets up to 100 degrees. But I don't have anything against heat waves personally.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,978,139 times
I haven't been to Waxhaw in awhile, but I do remember the surprise I felt when I saw that big area cleared on the right side of Providence Rd. It really needs widening all the way to the town center.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,068,828 times
Apparently OP has never really seen a hellhole because despite the traffic and construction Waxhaw is still a very decent community. A visit to some truly less desirable areas might put things in perspective.

Last edited by linicx; 06-19-2010 at 02:08 AM..

Old 06-23-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Apparently OP has never really seen a hellhole because despite the traffic and construction Waxhaw is still a very decent community. A visit to some truly less desirable areas might put things in perspective.
Well, it's not there yet. Getting there though. Give it another ten years.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,397,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Umm hellhole would be brooklyn NY where I grew up...sorry Waxhaw will never be like that....

Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 PM

158 posts, read 466,517 times
Sammills~
It really sounds to me as if you had a bad day? Are you originally from North Carolina? Were you unaware of how hot the south in general can get? However, I must say that a wider lane needs to be created for the shopping stores being sprouted. And by the way, I am not a developer, but a homeowner in Waxhaw and love it! You know what they say... "If you can't stand the heat.... well I think you get the sentiment. :0)

Old 06-23-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisquato View Post
Sammills~
It really sounds to me as if you had a bad day? Are you originally from North Carolina? Were you unaware of how hot the south in general can get? However, I must say that a wider lane needs to be created for the shopping stores being sprouted. And by the way, I am not a developer, but a homeowner in Waxhaw and love it! You know what they say... "If you can't stand the heat.... well I think you get the sentiment. :0)
You may be right. I definitely have had a bad day haha.

And I've lived in Waxhaw for the past eighteen years. Not many people here can say that. :P

Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,673,247 times
Get a grip, OP, traffic congestion is hardly grounds to label a town a hellhole. That's freakin' ridiculous. Perhaps you've never been to West, East, or North Charlotte? What do you call those? Hades?

Waxhaw is a lovely place, it's just going through some growth spurts like all surburbia does. Hardly a hellhole, geez..... If we use your logic, then I guess Ballantyne, Uptown, Matthews, Southpark, Lake Wylie, Lake Norman, and Huntersville are all hell holes too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte