Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
Thought what was the case?
That the south was "predominantly black".

There are more black people in the south I believe than other regions of the country. Perhaps that is what you meant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Do what? hahahaha....I have never heard of such a thing! You really thought this was the case? wow....
carolina_guy - Remember Zip-a-Dee-Doo-dah? It won the Oscar for best song in 1946!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
As usual, you all are wonderful to post the info and clear up my perplexity. It appears there are a lot of reasons to ask that question.

Call me naive but I just assumed everyone is exposed to many different types of people (and lifestyles) no matter where they live. We have people from all over the country in my neighborhood - and different ethnicities and sexual orientations, as well. I go to the stores and I see all types of people - different socio-economic strata as well as ethnicities . . . we are all just doing our thing - some people are more friendly than others . . . seems to have nothing to do w/ ethnicity as to how friendly people are . . . we are all just people, LOL! So I guess the question is somehow lost on me.

I was raised in the South and as a child, I was confused as to why people were "concerned" that their "neighborhood values" might tank b/c black folk might move in. Never made much sense to me as a child and sure didn't make any sense to me as an adult. I was relieved when such discussions dissipated and people seemed to figure out we are all just human beings here, regardless of ethnicity.

So now it seems people ask about diversity and I am so taken back - I thought the whole point of integration was to get past people thinking about - or even concerning themselves with - ethnicity. I thought we were now two generations past those kinds of discussions. I know that some people are into "voluntary" segregation . . . and I totally get that. I can imagine if I moved to Germany, I would perhaps want to find other Ex-Pat Americans to hang with or live near.

I guess I just never have had to think much about this as an adult, b/c I have always had people of different backgrounds and ethnicities around me . . . and it was not something to be addressed. We worked together as well as socialized as couples, individuals, and parents w/ kids in school - different backgrounds and ethnicities . . . so I guess I am surprised that people are so concerned with this.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's like Em and Ani said above "Charlotte is much more successfully integrated than most of the Northeast." We just don't think like you guys up north apparently do (about race and living in the same areas) down here because we are so used to living in mixed neighborhoods. Most of our neighborhoods are truly only segregated by the color green. For 20 years I have had Indian neighbors, Philipino neighbors, black neighbors, white neighbors, Mexican neighbors - you name it. We just don't care about our neighbors races here - it does NOT devalue our property to live in a mixed race neighborhood like I guess it does in the neighborhoods of other cities up north. Here we want our neighbors to be of like VALUES, no necessarily like colors . We want them to care about the community, keep their yard neat, volunteer at the local schools, BE good neighbors.
+1 Exaaaaactly.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
Thought what was the case?
You really didn't think the south was predominantly black is what I meant.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's like Em and Ani said above "Charlotte is much more successfully integrated than most of the Northeast." We just don't think like you guys up north apparently do (about race and living in the same areas) down here because we are so used to living in mixed neighborhoods. Most of our neighborhoods are truly only segregated by the color green. For 20 years I have had Indian neighbors, Philipino neighbors, black neighbors, white neighbors, Mexican neighbors - you name it. We just don't care about our neighbors races here - it does NOT devalue our property to live in a mixed race neighborhood like I guess it does in the neighborhoods of other cities up north. Here we want our neighbors to be of like VALUES, no necessarily like colors . We want them to care about the community, keep their yard neat, volunteer at the local schools, BE good neighbors.
Isn't it ironic how so many northerners have the perception that we're a bunch of racists and don't integrate in the South, when in fact it is their neck of the woods that are more likely to resemble racist attitude and segregated neighborhoods.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
carolina_guy - Remember Zip-a-Dee-Doo-dah? It won the Oscar for best song in 1946!
One of my all time favorite movies. We gonna do our nursery from stories of Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear, Brer Fox, and the whole gang! Not that we're expecting at the moment or anything.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 PM

19 posts, read 54,815 times
I can only answer this question from my perspective.

Let me give a run down of me so you understand.

I am a white woman married to a black man, with 3 little boys ages 4 and under. I grew up in West Central Florida (Tampa Bay area) and my husband grew up in the Jackson Mississippi area. I went to school with kids from all racial backgrounds and many multiracial kids as well. It was a normal thing for me as a child. I never saw another child different based on the color of their skin. My husband grew up in a town where the blacks and whites were completely segregated they did not live in the same neighborhoods, shop at the same stores, work at the same jobs or go to the same schools. His sister-inlaw is of a mutli-racial descent raised by her black mother's family never knowing anything of her father. She has very light skin and her hair is long and thin with no texture at all. She is mistaken for hispanic or native american all the time. She had a very difficult childhood becasue she was so different from everyone else. It was pointed out on a daily basis to her that she was different from all the other children. Anytime we visit my husbands family we get stared at like we have 4 heads and 10 eyes wherever we go. Slowly things are starting to look like the may actually enter the 20th century soon and we hope someday they will make it to the 21st century.

Being that I have 3 multiracial boys to raise I would want to raise them in a community where they can grow up not feeling as if they are the odd balls. I also want them to have tolerance and understaning for other people of all cultures. The best way to acheive this is to live in a multi cultural community. The only way for me to find these neighborhoods is by researching and asking questions.

I would ask "Is Charlotte diverse", becasue I would want make the best decisions for my family if i was moving to Charlotte. Cost of living and proximity to work would be also be factors along with a diverse community.

I know this was long winded but I hope it helped answer your question.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM

302 posts, read 961,371 times
You are all correct.. Diversity up north is completely different then down here. And you definitly said it best " Much more successfully integrated then the North east. But Its not complete racism but if you are middle to upper middle class and white u do not want to live in a black neighborhood up there. They are typically full of drugs, crime and gangs, I hate to say it and most ppl wont, but thats how it is. Its obviously alot different down here and i love that. Just like lovesmountains said "Here we want our neighbors to be of like VALUES, no necessarily like colors . We want them to care about the community, keep their yard neat, volunteer at the local schools, BE good neighbors." As long as i can find a neighborhood like that with educated, hardworking people who just do the right thing i'm happy.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
One of my all time favorite movies. We gonna do our nursery from stories of Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear, Brer Fox, and the whole gang! Not that we're expecting at the moment or anything.
How cute!! I loved those stories when I was a kid. Taught a lot about human nature and always a moral lesson a the end.

My favorite book when I was three was "Little Black Sambo." I guess they don't even print that one anymore. I was entranced w/ the tigers running round and round til they turned into butter.

Ah, how the world has changed since we all are so concerned w/ being PC rather than just being authentic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte