Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 PM

167 posts, read 473,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
It is my opinion that many times there is more tolerance than there is acceptance. We spent several years in Southern Virginia. The white people lived in one part of town. The black people lived in another. Generally the was no open display of racism, but I can certainly tell you that I personaly heard racist terms used on many occasions.
this sums it up well- clearly you can make the argument that this happens in every city- but Charlotte is still years behind general acceptance and cultural diversity

the size of local cultural festivals is often a good indicator of how diverse a place is- is there a sizeable Latin Festival, a sizeable Caribbean Festival, Indian celebrations and events, perhaps a thriving Jewish community at the local and civic level? is each race, culture or creed well supported or funded by the city at the civic level? are their community leaders prevelant at the entire civic level or are they just neighborhood celebrities?

so yes, Charlotte might have different races and creeds and cultures as RESIDENTS- but can you really call simply residing somewhere diversity? just because your kid goes to school with a few children of different race, creed, or culture than your children do you consider that diverse?

the question everyone needs to ask themselves is- in Charlotte do certain races, creeds, and nationalities have a prominent place in the culture like in a New York, Chicago, Miami, Detroit, or LA? to me (having lived in 7 major cities throughout the course of my life) Charlotte is still WASP central
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
this sums it up well- clearly you can make the argument that this happens in every city- but Charlotte is still years behind general acceptance and cultural diversity

the size of local cultural festivals is often a good indicator of how diverse a place is- is there a sizeable Latin Festival, a sizeable Caribbean Festival, Indian celebrations and events, perhaps a thriving Jewish community at the local and civic level? is each race, culture or creed well supported or funded by the city at the civic level? are their community leaders prevelant at the entire civic level or are they just neighborhood celebrities?

so yes, Charlotte might have different races and creeds and cultures as RESIDENTS- but can you really call simply residing somewhere diversity? just because your kid goes to school with a few children of different race, creed, or culture than your children do you consider that diverse?

the question everyone needs to ask themselves is- in Charlotte do certain races, creeds, and nationalities have a prominent place in the culture like in a New York, Chicago, Miami, Detroit, or LA? to me (having lived in 7 major cities throughout the course of my life) Charlotte is still WASP central
Okay, You lost me. This is NOT NY, CHI, MIA, or LA!!!! So of course we are not going to be like NY, CHI, MIA or LA!!!

If all you see is Major Wasp, maybe you need to look someplace else, cause you are not seeing all there is to see.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:

um your for one comparing Charlotte to cities not even in the southern region which has it own diversified culture of the smaller scale due to it is A SMALLER CITY. If you was going to compare choose cities of similar size and in the south.

Austin, TX
Memphis, TN
Fort Worth, TX
El Paso, TX

Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
um your for one comparing Charlotte to cities not even in the southern region which has it own diversified culture of the smaller scale due to it is A SMALLER CITY. If you was going to compare choose cities of similar size and in the south.

Austin, TX
Memphis, TN
Fort Worth, TX
El Paso, TX
Thank you, Sunny. That makes a lot more sense.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If all you see is Major Wasp, maybe you need to look someplace else, cause you are not seeing all there is to see.
I was just thinking the same thing Ani. My wife & I were at the DMV on Idlewild Rd., this morning getting her license renewed. There were a few white folks, some black folks a few asians & some hispanic folks too. No one seemed to care where anyone was from. We were just standing in line joking about why the line didn't seem to want to move inside. Apparently their camera was broken so they couldn't issue licenses.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM

167 posts, read 473,864 times
why does it matter if the city is in the south or not? the only way it would matter is if the culture in that south stood for something other than diversity or has had a lineage of inequality regarding diversity?

Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I was just thinking the same thing Ani. My wife & I were at the DMV on Idlewild Rd., this morning getting her license renewed. There were a few white folks, some black folks a few asians & some hispanic folks too. No one seemed to care where anyone was from. We were just standing in line joking about why the line didn't seem to want to move inside. Apparently their camera was broken so they couldn't issue licenses.
Exactly my point. We are all just people here trying to make a living and raise our families.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Oh, we love the criminals too! Remember "Hug-a-thug"?
I gotta say it . . . my love-my-fellow-man stops at the jailhouse door. Compassion for those who want to live a different life? Yes. Third chances for repeat offenders? NO!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:07 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay, You lost me. This is NOT NY, CHI, MIA, or LA!!!! So of course we are not going to be like NY, CHI, MIA or LA!!!

I really don't think Remedy was trying to offend, nor do I think (s)he meant to really compare Charlotte to NY, MIA, CHI, or LA. Rather, I think he was saying that just having a mixture of different ethnicites and races does not diversity make. If you have a city of 1 million, and 50% are white, 40% black, and 10% other, but the bulk of cultural events are aimed at 1 race (white, in this case), there is not true diversity.

It seems that the more appropriate (though less PC question) would be, is Charlotte racially integrated. Of course, the answer is a resounding yes! Is Charlotte diverse? Working on it!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM

19 posts, read 54,815 times
Quote:

Many of the cities you listed do have a diverse mix of cultures based on there census and based on the fact that they may have large cutlural festivals, but those people of different cultures all leave those festivals and go home to their segragated neighborhoods/communities. I personally am looking for a place to live where the neighborhood/community is diverse. Where i can walk out my front door and see many people of different cultures. Where my kids get on the bus and ride to school with their children and attend classes with them all day. Then go to their extra ciricular activities and see them there as well. Not wait for the annual festival to run into them.

Detroit and Philadelphia both were listed on the worst 10 cities list to live in for interracial families.

Just because they are large metropolitan cities does not classifly them as diverse or better yet accepting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte