Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 14,981 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Matthews area from Los Angeles this summer and I need to start applying for jobs. I am a high school special ed teacher and I'm not sure what district seems to be the best to work for. I really would love not to commute too far. I don't mind teaching in urban schools, either as I've been teaching in Los Angeles for the past 3 years. Any advice you might have on which district is the best for teachers would be great (pay, benefits, support, kids, etc). Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 05:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpete View Post
We are moving to the Matthews area from Los Angeles this summer and I need to start applying for jobs. I am a high school special ed teacher and I'm not sure what district seems to be the best to work for. I really would love not to commute too far. I don't mind teaching in urban schools, either as I've been teaching in Los Angeles for the past 3 years. Any advice you might have on which district is the best for teachers would be great (pay, benefits, support, kids, etc). Thanks!!!
Both Charlotte Mecklenburg (which Matthews is a part of) and neighboring Union county (which Matthews borders) desparately need new teachers. I would say apply to both and see what your options are. If you live in Matthews but went to work in Union county you would most likely have an easy commute against morning traffic - something worth considering. Best of luck to you - welcome to NC!

Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Default I was in LAUSD for 16.5 years and moved to the Charlotte area

I will tell you first of all that there are VAST differences in teaching here than in LA!

1. the benefits are really horrible here. LAUSD has some of the best benefits of any district in the nation

2. THERE ARE NO UNIONS! So, no one is out there fighting for you!

3. Hours are longer and pay is almost 50% less.

Where are you working in LAUSD?

Dawn

Old 02-02-2007, 11:40 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
Do Unions really help anyone but themselves and not the workers?

Old 02-02-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Do Unions really help anyone but themselves and not the workers?
touche' CharlotteAgent. Unions are an outdated concept that only rip people off that are forced to join them in order to work in their chosen fields, in my humble opinion of course

Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 PM

All I can say is that I did much better with all benefits and pay WITH the Union. I may not agree with everything they did, but they most certainly DID help teachers.

If you had worked in a situation with Unions and then one without you would understand.

Dawn

Old 02-02-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
All I can say is that I did much better with all benefits and pay WITH the Union. I may not agree with everything they did, but they most certainly DID help teachers.

If you had worked in a situation with Unions and then one without you would understand.

Dawn
I may not have encountered that situation, but my sister has and I hear plenty from her. As much as she has liked living in New York for several years, she cannot wait to come south again and be free of all the union corruption she has to deal with as a nurse. Knowing that she will make somewhat less than she makes now by coming south again is a small price for her to pay to not have to deal with what she deals with now in the medical community there - all because of the unions.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Ok, obviously I have hit a nerve. But the poster is from the same district I worked in. I was just pointing out differences. I feel like I am being jumped on here.

Dawn

Old 02-02-2007, 01:26 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
Quote:
Ok, obviously I have hit a nerve. But the poster is from the same district I worked in. I was just pointing out differences. I feel like I am being jumped on here.

Dawn
No not at all. I just wanted to say Unions are not always necessary the best thing.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Dawn
Oh no, didn't mean to make you feel that way

North Carolina, and the south in general, won't be like California, as there are major differences in the people, way of life, ect... To those of us here, that is a good thing. That unions don't thrive here is a good thing, to us. For those who choose to come here and embrace the differences I applaud you - just like the people in California would probably applaud me if I moved there and embraced their local values. It just makes me cringe to see people move here to take advantage of all the wonderful things we have here, then critisize or malign us for not doing things such and such a way, like they did back wherever it was they came from. Sorry if I pounced - didn't mean to hurt your feelings, truly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: