Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte from San Diego: schools, safety, recreation, neighborhood, beach feel, shopping and restaurants

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:12 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times

Advertisements

I have moved from Miami, FL, and it seems a lot calmer here.

I MISS THE OCEAN, AND FISHING!
The fishing here isnt the same.

In Miami you have a much more diverse community than in Charlotte.
The humidity isnt that bad here, and the bugs arent bad also.
Mosquitoes? Where do you guys live? haha.

Miami has milllllions of mosquitoes and little insects that bite (gnats).

At least this is where I want to raise my children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 02:26 PM

93 posts, read 391,447 times
Guess you're right on that one, shabby; never really noticed 'em. We had tons of lighting strikes that came along with the monsoon season in Phoenix. They were pretty amazing!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 PM

62 posts, read 298,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeandFamily View Post
I Was raised in Mira Mesa, San Diego...Beautiful Lifestyle over there. Wish i can convince my wife to go out there, But it is tad high to live there. Why would you want to leave the beautiful weather and come to NC.
I lived in Mira Mesa from 83 to 94. Small world huh? I've been in Waxhaw for 2 years now after being in LA for 8 years. Did we go to school together????? Go Mauraders!

Old 07-28-2007, 08:18 AM

104 posts, read 284,047 times
Default I lived in Encintas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfSwamis View Post
I've been reading this forum for several months now after deciding to take a job that will move my 11yo son and I to Charlotte. I grew up in Pacific Beach and have lived in Leucadia for the past 20 years. Needless to say, I have a few doubts. No offense to relocaters from other areas, but San Diegans have a unique perspective.

I'd like to get your thoughts on the area now that you're living there. Cheap real estate isn't our draw, so based on the life style we're leaving, what can we expect? I've focused on Union Cty for living. I currently live in Leucadia and understand the beach and that life isn't there. I am, however, adaptable. I am a single dad, my primary concern is a good life for my son. (Schools, safety, recreation, neighborhood, etc.) Your thoughts on this and what you like and dislike would be appreciated.
Hi,

Well it looks like a lot of people got back to you but I thought I would add my 2 cents anyway, I was borned and raised in the San Diego area..lived in Encintas for a while and worked in Del Mar. Do I miss the beach? YES but we go to the beach here instead of being a few minutes way now it's a day trip or weekend trip but the beaches here are great!
SAND everywhere..something you don't always get back home..the water is WARM..something you almost never get at home....The people here are NICE and really want to get to know you! Yes the pace is a little slower here but I have found that I really like that here.

The fall is beautiful, winter is cold, spring is wonderful and summer is hot and humid but some of the best storms I have every seen. You have the 4 seasons, something we don't have at home. You will have everything you had at home..Okay no Fish Tacos but I am trying to find some here..but there are some great Pizza and hamburger places here! The stores have the same products as home..I have never felt that I have gone without!

I have lived here one year now (in Waxhaw) and yes I do miss home, it was home for 49 years and my friends and family here there but my husband and I are meeting some new friends which will become family and we have a beautiful new home, in a beautiful area! Union County is a great place to live,lower taxes but is growing quickly! The schools in Union County are good and of course some areas are better than other..just like in the san diego area. The one thing your son and yourself will find is there are a lot of transplants here and that it may take a while before you even meet someone that is from North Carolina

I am sure you have made the right choice and you will see that would you get here.

Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:51 PM

14 posts, read 44,910 times
Default Mahi Mahi tacos

This transient from San Diego finally found some really good Mahi Tacos! The new "Shuckers" on Rogers Rd. in Wake Forest, NC. Yummy! I have to say, they were almost as good as the one's in Ocean Beach! Now, if we only had the view of the ocean as we ate 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte