Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 AM

84 posts, read 208,707 times

Advertisements

Ok..so, I got the application back from the guy with the 2 kids, 3 dogs and 2 cats. He really wants us to come up for the kids and dogs to meet George. It seems he may not have told his wife about the addition. I'm wondering if we arrive tomorrow at their house, if she's going to be like "who the heck is that and why do they have a dog with them?"

The other woman and family who is interested in George, hasn't sent back the application yet. We are supposed to meet them, possibly tonight, if they get the application back today and I can call the vets and check them out. This family seems really nice (on the phone) and they aren't a very crowded house---2 teenaged dhtrs, Mom & Dad.

I haven't given an update on how George is doing...He's doing great Our other 2 dogs have gotten used to him being there and we don't have to seperate them through the night because they no longer feel the need to play 24/7. George is ready for his forever home. I really am hoping he doesn't feel abandoned by us when he goes to his forever home....

Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 AM

104 posts, read 284,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastybrew View Post
Ok..so, I got the application back from the guy with the 2 kids, 3 dogs and 2 cats. He really wants us to come up for the kids and dogs to meet George. It seems he may not have told his wife about the addition. I'm wondering if we arrive tomorrow at their house, if she's going to be like "who the heck is that and why do they have a dog with them?"

The other woman and family who is interested in George, hasn't sent back the application yet. We are supposed to meet them, possibly tonight, if they get the application back today and I can call the vets and check them out. This family seems really nice (on the phone) and they aren't a very crowded house---2 teenaged dhtrs, Mom & Dad.

I haven't given an update on how George is doing...He's doing great Our other 2 dogs have gotten used to him being there and we don't have to seperate them through the night because they no longer feel the need to play 24/7. George is ready for his forever home. I really am hoping he doesn't feel abandoned by us when he goes to his forever home....

George will be okay..I felt the same way when we found Kona a new family, she had been with us for almost 3 months and we had became a family but it didn't take long for Kona's new family to make her feel at home and out home got back to normal...what we did was when we took Kona to her new home I took her blanket,bowle and some of her toys so she would have something from our house. I am not sure if it helped her but it helped me to know she had something from her foster home

Also see if his new parents will keep in contact with you with pictures then you will see the George is doing just find

Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
It is amazing how quickly a doggie will adapt as long as the family is loving and good caretakers. I have seen some wonderful situations w/ rescue dogs. I think animals sense when people have their best interests at heart - they just seem to know that they have been "chosen" . . . and they want to please their new owners. What is so sad is that we have no clue about George's circumstances . . . did someone have a wreck and he escaped? Did someone move and he got lost during all the packing? Did he escape out the door and wander many miles so his owners have not looked that far out? Did someone just abandon him? Seems unlikely someone abandoned him b/c he had a collar . . .

I wonder if there is some way to set up a better system for matching up lost pets w/ their owners who are hunting for them. We have another thread on a lost Westie who has been found. I just keep thinking - where would I go to look for my precious furkid if she somehow got separated from me?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:06 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I wonder if there is some way to set up a better system for matching up lost pets w/ their owners who are hunting for them. We have another thread on a lost Westie who has been found. I just keep thinking - where would I go to look for my precious furkid if she somehow got separated from me?
If your furbaby has a microchip, there should be no problem unless the finder is unscrupulous.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If your furbaby has a microchip, there should be no problem unless the finder is unscrupulous.
Good point, SB. I have never put in a microchip b/c (please don't think I am nutty) I have read that there may be a connection b/tn chips and cancer in dogs. I just didn't want to take a chance w/ it. However, now that she is older, I have been thinking maybe I should do that.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good point, SB. I have never put in a microchip b/c (please don't think I am nutty) I have read that there may be a connection b/tn chips and cancer in dogs. I just didn't want to take a chance w/ it. However, now that she is older, I have been thinking maybe I should do that.
I have several cats and dogs that were rescues so they came to me already chipped. However, when the chips first came out, I had my dogs and 1 cat done - they all died of old age w/o any cancer. This is just anecdotal, not true evidence, but I don't think there is a study showing a link or my vet wouldn't be doing the chipping.I have watched it done a number of times and if the vet/tech scratches the dog's ears or chest, they don't even notice it going in. It really is microscopic and fits in a syringe with a normal-looking needle, not some monstrous thing.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 PM

George has been chipped already, as well as both our other pups. Makes me feel better. I've never heard that it causes cancer...We're going to meet the BIG family tomorrow.

I just know that if we lost one of our dogs, I'd be posting and searching and looking at every possibility for months. So, if George's 'real' parents are out there, I feel like we would have heard something by now....wouldn't we have?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastybrew View Post
George has been chipped already, as well as both our other pups. Makes me feel better. I've never heard that it causes cancer...We're going to meet the BIG family tomorrow.

I just know that if we lost one of our dogs, I'd be posting and searching and looking at every possibility for months. So, if George's 'real' parents are out there, I feel like we would have heard something by now....wouldn't we have?
I would think you would have! I mean - you have done all you know to do. What else could you do? I have been thinking about this a lot - how to match up owners and lost pets. Unless he has wandered a very long distance - seems his owners would have been posting in the area where you found him - plus calling all rescue agencies, etc.

You are doing the right thing. Gosh, Tasty, if it had not been for you - George may be dead right now! Not to sound harsh, but - truly - the chances of getting run over . . . starving . .. attacked by a pack of wild dogs (and yes - we do have those roaming around).

You have been George's Guardian Angel. All you can do now is help him find a new Forever Family - his original owners have to be considered out of the picture after this much time.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have several cats and dogs that were rescues so they came to me already chipped. However, when the chips first came out, I had my dogs and 1 cat done - they all died of old age w/o any cancer. This is just anecdotal, not true evidence, but I don't think there is a study showing a link or my vet wouldn't be doing the chipping.I have watched it done a number of times and if the vet/tech scratches the dog's ears or chest, they don't even notice it going in. It really is microscopic and fits in a syringe with a normal-looking needle, not some monstrous thing.
Well, I need to do that, then. I knew it would sound crazy but truly, that is why I have not had her "chipped" - so afraid it would compromise her immune system after reading that article on chips and a link to cancer. I know better than to believe everything I read, of course . . . Thanks for sharing your personal experience. Yes, it is anecdotal but anecdotal info means a lot to me - after all - wisdom is cumulative, based on group experience!!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 01:48 PM

Well...George has a forever home! We went up for him to meet his new family and he LOVED them. He did excellent with the other 3 dogs (yes 3 other dogs). The alpha dog even corrected a couple of George's behaviors! I was soooo impressed. The boxer (the one in charge) simply stood over George and told him, pretty much, to knock it off. He didn't show his teeth or anything! Much better than our 'bratty' alpha of the house.
He, juust simply stood over him George didn't try to hump him anymore while we were there. He was running around playing with the 10 month old...which is great because that's what they wanted. Another active pup to play with the other puppy. They were a great team. He seemed really happy. The new parents even called to give us a update. George was taking a nap All seems good...I'm going to miss the rascal....I'll update as I get more news.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all the support and everything you all have done through these past two weeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte