Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,967 times

Advertisements

Sounds like she is just asking to get egged and TP'd this Halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Yes thats true. But I wasn't referring to it in the legal sense, just in the "lets try not to hate our neighbors and see it from both sides" way. I meant she has a right not to have it ruin her enjoyment of her home, and at the same time the kids have to play... compromise would help.
It's always best when neighbors strive to respect one another

Old 10-07-2008, 09:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Good neighbors can be part of the value of your home! I knew when I left my former neighborhood, I would never be able to replace that situation. It was singular and I think part of it was - we pretty much raised our kids together . . . so lots of interaction thru/ those years . . .

The best thing to do is discuss issues that come up in a neighborhood. If that doesn't work, go to the HOA . . . but calling the cops . . . wow. Talk about instant bad feelings . . . it will only go downhill from there . . .

Old 10-07-2008, 10:10 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
We have a new neighbor, moved in within the last month maybe even the last few weeks, that is having MAJOR issues with kids playing in the culdesac. It started when a handful of kids on Saturday were playing and the lady came out on the porch and started "F**ing kids" out loud so that the kids could hear very well. They were drawing with sidewalk chalk, riding bikes, normal kids stuff. She called the cops on the kids . Cops came out talked to parents and her. Nothing really he could do. He did say that the kids shouldn't really be playing in the culdesac but he also said that she really shouldn't be parked in the culdesac either. Our neighborhood has marked parking spaces on the streets and there are none in this particular culdesac. Police officer said it is a HOA issue but the HOA says that the streets are owned by the county. Well the same thing happened yesterday except I think it was one of the moms that called the police on her. I wasn't there but they apparently got into a screaming match. I know, I know but I honestly don't blame her. This new woman is unbearable. The cop basically said that there is nothing he can do. While she had the car parked in the culdesac, I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the car. Her driveway and garage is in the back completely accessible by an alleyway so the kids can't get to it at all so she could so easily park around there. She was asked why she moved into a neighborhood like ours when it is clear there are tons of kids around and she said "peace and tranquility"

So, I am not hopeful for any positive outcome. Noone is going to tell us that we can play in the culdesac for liablity reasons, i understand that but the cop basically said that everytime she calls he would have to come out but there wasn't really anything he could do. Is there not anything we can do about a neighbor who screams profanities at young children??

I don't understand some people. Why would you live on a culdesac and expect the whole world to change around you? Most of us have lived here 4+ years and while there has been the occasionally neighbor spat, it never involved the kids and noone has ever had an issue with kids playing in a culdesac much less come out screaming profanities at them.

Any advice?
Like they say,"You can take a person out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the person". Good luck. You are experiencing what we all dread.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:15 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Control their kids and keep noise to a minimum??? You aren't a parent yet, are you, lol Look, when kids are outside playing they are allowed to use their "outside voices" - they need to play hard - it's GOOD for them. You are obviously in the camp that does not believe cul de sacs are for playing in. But it's pretty much been tradition here for years that cul de sac properties are sought after by young families just for this purpose. It's kind of an unwritten rule - if you live on a cul de sac kids will play there. We used to block ours off with our lawn chairs to keep cars from coming too fast down the street and give us a chance to get all the kids out of the way for the car

Bottom line, if this stuff is really an annoyance to anyone they should think twice about buying in a cul de sac.
The complaint wasn't about playing in the cul-de-sac, it was about drawing on the street (making it look ghetto) and the discusting language that was used by the woman in front of children. I believe the problem goes well beyond playing in the streets. Some people are meant to stay in the country where they are not around civilization.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Well, maybe everyone should just keep the kids out of the c/d/s for a while, and instead, take turns using leaf blowers and see if it is really the noise bugging her or if she just doesn't like kids, LOL.

If she is worried about her car, she should move it out of the street.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
The complaint wasn't about playing in the cul-de-sac, it was about drawing on the street (making it look ghetto) and the discusting language that was used by the woman in front of children. I believe the problem goes well beyond playing in the streets. Some people are meant to stay in the country where they are not around civilization.
Escuse me Bandi - go back and read it again...

The OP said, "having MAJOR issues with kids playing in the culdesac".

Drawing in chalk on a street hardly makes a neighborhood look like a ghetto for pete's sake. IT'S CHALK, NOT SPRAY PAINT.

I would agree however, the cranky woman would have been better off staying in the country - she's apparently not meant to live so closely to others .

Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,255 times
[quote=anifani821;5586263]Well, maybe everyone should just keep the kids out of the c/d/s for a while, and instead, take turns using leaf blowers and see if it is really the noise bugging her or if she just doesn't like kids, LOL.

If she is worried about her car, she should move it out of the street.[/quote]

What if she doesn't have the option to move her car out of the street? Some folks don't have big enough driveways.
Although a street is a public area, doesn't someone have the right to have reasonable expectation that others respect their property?
I'd never let my kids play near a neighbors car and would make it a point to carefully explain why to them.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,377 times
Why would either party think that either incident was a police matter? People are absolutely ridicules!

New neighbor calls the police because kids are playing. IF they were being too loud, how 'bout talking to the parents before you call the police?

Old neighbor calls police because of a shouting match? Kinda like telling teacher.........I'm telling on you!!

Gimmie a friggin break!

Common sense, ain't so common.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
OP - Don't complain too much. The little town we moved here from instituted ordinances that prohibited playing in the streets, including ball sports, frisbee, skating, skateboarding, etc. They also prohibited basketball nets within 15' of the sidewalks and made it a law for kids to wear helmets when riding bikes. (Not that I don't think kids should wear helmets, but it's not the towns place to make it a law.)

Talk about a police state!

I'm not shy about saying that I'd move back to the area if I had the chance, but I would not live within town limits where laws like these are put into place by "kneejerk reaction" to placate a vocal, complaining mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte