Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 08:52 AM

227 posts, read 293,225 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Wife and i have been here since October 1. We like the city and where we live(Elizabeth), but we really haven't made many friends. We are a relatively young couple, late 20's and 30's. We have met some twenty something singles who are nice, but we really need to meet some people that are married, to hang out with.

I think when spring comes around it will get easier, and my wife will be starting a new job soon and i think well meet people that way too. We are just now starting to explore several church's as well.

Any other suggestions?

Maybe all these new people on CityData, need to meet out for drinks one night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
Hi,

Wife and i have been here since October 1. We like the city and where we live(Elizabeth), but we really haven't made many friends. We are a relatively young couple, late 20's and 30's. We have met some twenty something singles who are nice, but we really need to meet some people that are married, to hang out with.

I think when spring comes around it will get easier, and my wife will be starting a new job soon and i think well meet people that way too. We are just now starting to explore several church's as well.

Any other suggestions?

Hey there Mr. Sippi - welcome to Charlotte! Finding the right church community will really help you meet people for sure. Have you visited Forest Hills on Park Road? Loads of people your age there and a great minister, David Chadwick. He has a pre-recorded radio show on Sunday mornings on WBT if you want to get a feel for what he's all about. But also, are you outdoor types? If so, look in to CHOA - Charlotte Outdoor Adventures. This group is great, many singles and couples your age who do everything from whitewater rafting to hiking some great trails. They also just get together and socialize. I think their web address is choa.com. Good luck finding your niche (it's here somewhere!)

Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Hi,

Any other suggestions?

Hey, dont laugh at that!( having drinks from people on City Data) I have meet up with two people so far from here it and we are now friends!But-- we are all mid 40's so for you i'm sure you'd run from us!
But she will probably meet people from work,getting involved with church is a good way, ( but i have not done that yet) and yes, i think spring time will bring you out and about more so you can meet people.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 AM

Hey we dont discriminate based on age.. ill be 39 in a few weeks. Im stopping after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Hey, dont laugh at that!( having drinks from people on City Data) I have meet up with two people so far from here it and we are now friends!But-- we are all mid 40's so for you i'm sure you'd run from us!
But she will probably meet people from work,getting involved with church is a good way, ( but i have not done that yet) and yes, i think spring time will bring you out and about more so you can meet people.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:42 AM

Funny you should mention. That was out 1st church experience. It was fine, and we will probably go back. We have also check out CHOA. Havent joined, but probably need to as your recommendation is 1 of several ive gotten.

Interesting point about Forest Hill. My wife was looking for a church similar to the one we had been attending where we came from. Forest Hill is similar to a T. Some interesting comparisons i came up with. Both these churches are what I would now call "Praise Church's" with a progressive style worship and music (not my fav, but my wife likes). Our former church had baptist roots, and im guessing Forest Hill had Presbyterian roots from what i can tell. The one difference between the church's is that the people at Forest Hill are a bit more subdued when it comes to the singing, as compared to the last church we came from. This is all fine with me, as i dont sing! hah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hey there Mr. Sippi - welcome to Charlotte! Finding the right church community will really help you meet people for sure. Have you visited Forest Hills on Park Road? Loads of people your age there and a great minister, David Chadwick. He has a pre-recorded radio show on Sunday mornings on WBT if you want to get a feel for what he's all about. But also, are you outdoor types? If so, look in to CHOA - Charlotte Outdoor Adventures. This group is great, many singles and couples your age who do everything from whitewater rafting to hiking some great trails. They also just get together and socialize. I think their web address is choa.com. Good luck finding your niche (it's here somewhere!)

Old 02-13-2007, 10:11 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Hey we dont discriminate based on age.. ill be 39 in a few weeks. Im stopping after that.
Stopping at 39 cause ya dont want to see 40!
I dont blame you, but the alternative is one option i dont want either!
if you ever feel like comming up to the Mooresville area,let me know as we'd be happy to get together with our other City Data friends and have a drink

Old 02-13-2007, 10:16 AM

thanks for the invite... Mooresville? thats up around Virginia isnt it???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Stopping at 39 cause ya dont want to see 40!
I dont blame you, but the alternative is one option i dont want either!
if you ever feel like comming up to the Mooresville area,let me know as we'd be happy to get together with our other City Data friends and have a drink

Old 02-13-2007, 10:58 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,567 times
When we moved from NY to Marietta, GA (which we will thankfully vacate very soon) we thought for sure we would make local friends in no time. Three years later, and with not a new friend made, we have determined where we may have gone wrong, and set out the following rules for ourselves:

1 - Do not stay inside the house playing video games every weekend night. While this may have enabled us to save a lot more cash than bar hopping would have, it didn't do much to improve our social situation. My dwarf hunter IS level 70 though ....

2 - Put a lot of time into researching the community we are moving to. We made the mistake of moving to a very socially conservative, family-oriented subdivision. This is all good and fine, except for the fact that I used to be the lead singer of a NYC punk band and look every bit the part (not as bad as ten years ago, but still). I guess the neighbors don't know that I am as afraid of them as they are of me ....

3 - Join something. Anything. When you move away from home (read: where you grew up), it becomes much more difficult to meet new people. Without the benefit of having a history in a given area, it is advantageous to find established groups of people with similar interests to our own. For us that is going to mean volunteering at animal shelters, joining some IT user group (Mac or Java I guess) or starting a new band ....

4 - Hang out on our new, beautiful wrap around porch and say hi to everyone who walks by!

I am sure that in no time we will be drinking on our porch with a bunch of dog-loving, washed up punk rockers with jobs in IT who love video games.

Right?

Old 02-13-2007, 11:15 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
When we moved from NY to Marietta, GA (which we will thankfully vacate very soon) we thought for sure we would make local friends in no time. Three years later, and with not a new friend made, we have determined where we may have gone wrong, and set out the following rules for ourselves:

1 - Do not stay inside the house playing video games every weekend night. While this may have enabled us to save a lot more cash than bar hopping would have, it didn't do much to improve our social situation. My dwarf hunter IS level 70 though ....

2 - Put a lot of time into researching the community we are moving to. We made the mistake of moving to a very socially conservative, family-oriented subdivision. This is all good and fine, except for the fact that I used to be the lead singer of a NYC punk band and look every bit the part (not as bad as ten years ago, but still). I guess the neighbors don't know that I am as afraid of them as they are of me ....

3 - Join something. Anything. When you move away from home (read: where you grew up), it becomes much more difficult to meet new people. Without the benefit of having a history in a given area, it is advantageous to find established groups of people with similar interests to our own. For us that is going to mean volunteering at animal shelters, joining some IT user group (Mac or Java I guess) or starting a new band ....

4 - Hang out on our new, beautiful wrap around porch and say hi to everyone who walks by!

I am sure that in no time we will be drinking on our porch with a bunch of dog-loving, washed up punk rockers with jobs in IT who love video games.

Right?
LOL, I have NO doubt!!

Be sure to check out Tremont Music Hall when you get a chance, sounds like your kind of music venue

Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,036,130 times
Default hello

Hello,

My husband and I will need friends too but our house won't be built until July! I am sure you will have meet some people by then and then you can show us around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte