Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 04:21 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,693 times

Advertisements

I don't like spiders crawling on me, driving or not. LOL. Or any other bugs or "critters". I understand! I had a Black Widow crawling up my coveralls last week after I got out from under a house! I agree with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
WAIT A MINUTE/..I must interject.

Its not a big deal to have spiders crawling on you while you are driving??? Are you guys freakin serious? Any distraction can cause an accident. Bugguy you may live with bugs and think its not a big deal but the fact is most people would be pretty freaked to see a spider crawling up their leg when they are driving...geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 04:54 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
I don't like spiders crawling on me, driving or not. LOL. Or any other bugs or "critters". I understand! I had a Black Widow crawling up my coveralls last week after I got out from under a house! I agree with you!
Well thanks..I mean an infested car would have me looking around with my head on a swivel every moment..thats no way to drive. I'd be parking that car somewhere else or ditching it..no way I'd deal with that, it is a big deal, at least to me./

Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 PM

123 posts, read 218,049 times
When I lived in AZ, I put my weedeater in the car to return it to the store since it wasn't working correctly. While driving, I noticed a Black Widow on the weedeater (it had sat on my backporch all night). I'm terrified of spiders and pulled into the K-Mart parking lot and someone in the parking lot told me to buy a insect bomb in the car, the type that are made to put in your home to get rid of bugs, spiders. I was desperate so I bought one. Had to drive the car home, not knowing where in the car the spider was. I parked the car in the carport. Put up all the windows and followed the directions. My car fogged up inside, but I know it killed the spider. I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS IN A GARAGE. DO IT OUTSIDE. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it worked. If it had been a summer day, I probably would have kept the windows up and the heat would have killed it, but this was in the fall. Just follow the directions and make sure you air out your car very good afterwards.
Sounds ridiculous, but it worked for me.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
When I lived in AZ, I put my weedeater in the car to return it to the store since it wasn't working correctly. While driving, I noticed a Black Widow on the weedeater (it had sat on my backporch all night). I'm terrified of spiders and pulled into the K-Mart parking lot and someone in the parking lot told me to buy a insect bomb in the car, the type that are made to put in your home to get rid of bugs, spiders. I was desperate so I bought one. Had to drive the car home, not knowing where in the car the spider was. I parked the car in the carport. Put up all the windows and followed the directions. My car fogged up inside, but I know it killed the spider. I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS IN A GARAGE. DO IT OUTSIDE. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it worked. If it had been a summer day, I probably would have kept the windows up and the heat would have killed it, but this was in the fall. Just follow the directions and make sure you air out your car very good afterwards.
I agree..there is NO WAY I'd drive that car with that thing in it.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:11 PM

Some ingredients in some foggers could, just could, damage some fabrics, etc. Read the label on whatever you use and abide by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post

Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Girl View Post
Plus....I thought bug guy has tried to help people with this issue - on this forum, and now you are agreeing with Native Son and we should just get therapy? Great.
yeah, get some therapy!

You share the road with countless other drivers, and common sense would dictate that you wouldn't subject them to the dangerous whims of your irrational phobias. It doesn't happen often, but from time to time a spider will crawl on you while you're driving. Having an irrational fear of them creates a potentially fatal condition from some fear-based reaction while driving. And while I can find no evidence of a spider-bite-induced-death in NC, folks at the wrong end of a careless driver find a body bag frequently.

Sac up.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
yeah, get some therapy!

You share the road with countless other drivers, and common sense would dictate that you wouldn't subject them to the dangerous whims of your irrational phobias. It doesn't happen often, but from time to time a spider will crawl on you while you're driving. Having an irrational fear of them creates a potentially fatal condition from some fear-based reaction while driving. And while I can find no evidence of a spider-bite-induced-death in NC, folks at the wrong end of a careless driver find a body bag frequently.

Sac up.

Native you are so full of it If a black widow was staring at you suddenly from oh lets say your belt buckle area...you'd jump...thats ridiculous to think someone would not react. Now granted one should always remember they are behind the wheel of a ton or more vehicle and keep their composure, but to say it should not startle you is well.....just not right. The only way to test this theory is to put a nice hairy wolf spider on your shoulder while you are driving 60...

Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Be honest with me jp... Would you consider junking an automobile fearing it was infested by spiders? Am I on a limb here thinking that it is a clear sign of an irrational fear?

If so, I apologize. Perhaps *I* am the one acting hysterically.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Be honest with me jp... Would you consider junking an automobile fearing it was infested by spiders? Am I on a limb here thinking that it is a clear sign of an irrational fear?

If so, I apologize. Perhaps *I* am the one acting hysterically.
I would get rid of it if I saw spiders in the car every time I got in it..I really would.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 PM

Black Widows aren't notorious for jumping, or biting through belt buckles, etc. If it were me, I'd just smash it with my hand and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Native you are so full of it If a black widow was staring at you suddenly from oh lets say your belt buckle area...you'd jump...thats ridiculous to think someone would not react. Now granted one should always remember they are behind the wheel of a ton or more vehicle and keep their composure, but to say it should not startle you is well.....just not right. The only way to test this theory is to put a nice hairy wolf spider on your shoulder while you are driving 60...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte