Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:25 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times

Advertisements

chuckles34
i totally agree with you , the only thing i find cool about ballantyne
are the columns at the four corners.
know the guy who designed them and also i do love ginko trees.
it is a totally soulless place but it does seem to be what people like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
chuckles34
i totally agree with you , the only thing i find cool about ballantyne
are the columns at the four corners.
know the guy who designed them and also i do love ginko trees.
it is a totally soulless place but it does seem to be what people like.
I think people just like that it's new, clean and convenient with beautiful homes all around. Think about it, there's not a single eyesore or anything nasty - which is very pleasant.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Do they really? Last time I was there, I was with someone who told me their brain was being turned to jelly by the utter boredom of the place. I believe they used the metaphor of a rat in a maze that had no exit.

Regardless of that, I will say that I had a hard time finding what I was looking for as every street looks just like every other street and it all does start all start to run together. They could have done it much much better given the money spend down there. One day they will write about about the suburban diaspora centered around these developer creations.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Do they really? Last time I was there, I was with someone who told me their brain was being turned to jelly by the utter boredom of the place. I believe they used the metaphor of a rat in a maze that had no exit.

Regardless of that, I will say that I had a hard time finding what I was looking for as every street looks just like every other street and it all does start all start to run together. They could have done it much much better given the money spend down there. One day they will write about about the suburban diaspora centered around these developer creations.
One man's trash is another man's treasure

Plenty of people LOVE the Ballantyne area, they don't miss you there I'm sure!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Plenty of people LOVE the Ballantyne area, they don't miss you there I'm sure!
Indeed. The metaphor given by my friend seems to be quite appropriate as the rat in the maze is often quite content with it's situation. It confirms what was said.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:35 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,575 times
Quote:

Regardless of that, I will say that I had a hard time finding what I was looking for as every street looks just like every other street and it all does start all start to run together.
That's what street signs are for!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Indeed. The metaphor given by my friend seems to be quite appropriate as the rat in the maze is often quite content with it's situation. It confirms what was said.
Be careful, I'm sensing sour grapes!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Be careful, I'm sensing sour grapes!
"Sour Grapes" comes from an old fable by Aesop where a fox was unable to reach a bunch of juicy looking grapes so after trying a few times insisted that he didn't want them because they were probably sour.

Now I am the first to say that personal anecdotes on a site such as this are pretty worthless as they can't be disputed or argued against so I won't bother to say that if I wanted to live there I could as it would be irrelevant. My post history here however should be an indication. Regardless if the only defence of the place is to cast doubts of credibility on the party bringing it up, then I think that speaks for itself. The tune I posted earlier was more prophetic than I originally thought.

Grooveshark - Listen to Free Music Online - Internet Radio - Free MP3 Streaming

Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
"Sour Grapes" comes from an old fable by Aesop where a fox was unable to reach a bunch of juicy looking grapes so after trying a few times insisted that he didn't want them because they were probably sour.

Now I am the first to say that personal anecdotes on a site such as this are pretty worthless as they can't be disputed or argued against so I won't bother to say that if I wanted to live there I could as it would be irrelevant. My post history here however should be an indication. Regardless if the only defence of the place is to cast doubts of credibility on the party bringing it up, then I think that speaks for itself. The tune I posted earlier was more prophetic than I originally thought.

Grooveshark - Listen to Free Music Online - Internet Radio - Free MP3 Streaming
So everyone who lives in Ballantyne is stuck in a system and trapped with no glass?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM

You yourself say personal anecdotes are worthless. Just because you and the person you were with doesn't like it there doesn't mean everyone hates it there. And by your own admission, your own anecdote may not be how the majority feels about the area.
People like different types of areas. And that's where they live. Many people choose where to live based on the location of their job also. It could be that's why many live there? My husband's job is moving to Ballantyne and we're considering that area. We hadn't considered it before that. There are some nice established subdivisions there that's < 5 minutes from his work. So why not?

Anyway, people live in all different types of places from rural, old homes, mobile homes, trailer parks, new homes, condos, etc etc. Everyone has different needs and different wants.

What's your preference/what area do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte