Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 PM

693 posts, read 2,177,016 times

Advertisements

Ok, this is going to sound dumb, since I have been here a year and still don't really know for sure...but... can somebody define Ballantyne.

What are geographic boundaries that define Ballantyne...I know its a section of South Charlotte...but where does it begin and end. Is Pineville or Weddington part of it? I seem to drive through Ballantyne without ever knowing I have entered or left it. Is the Arboretum area part of it? Rea Road Trader Joe's? The giant Target near the AMC movie theater?

Also, geographically speaking what constitutes South Park?

Last edited by Damemeow; 10-27-2008 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Ballantyne has big concrete pillars at its boundaries, but generally I'd say that Elm Ln marks a boundary, as does Rt 485. The sewage treatment plant forms a third side & Lancaster Hwy is the 4th side.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Ballantyne has big concrete pillars at its boundaries, but generally I'd say that Elm Ln marks a boundary, as does Rt 485. The sewage treatment plant forms a third side & Lancaster Hwy is the 4th side.
It's not Elm Lane, that's "inside" Ballantyne.

Ballantyne is bordered by I485, Rea Rd, Johnston Rd and at it's south end mostly Providence Rd W/Bryant Farms.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Ok, this is going to sound dumb, since I have been here a year and still don't really know for sure...but... can somebody define Ballantyne.

What are geographic boundaries that define Ballantyne...I know its a section of South Charlotte...but where does it begin and end. Is Pineville or Weddington part of it? I seem to drive through Ballantyne without ever knowing I have entered or left it. Is the Arboretum area part of it? Rea Road Trader Joe's? The giant Target near the AMC movie theater?

Also, geographically speaking what constitutes South Park?
lol, not dumb at all - I'm sure a lot of people wonder the same things.

Pineville is not part of Ballantyne. Pineville is its own little town with it's own police force and government. Weddington is also not part of Ballantyne, and it is in Union County whereas Ballantyne is part of southern Mecklenburg County. Traders Joe's is in the Piper Glen neighborhood and the Arboretum is just a shopping complex in south Charlotte - all the surrounding neighborhoods have come to be known as "the Arboretum area", but again, it's all just south Charlotte.

South Park is basically bounded by Runnymeade, Sharon Rd and Park Rd, though the section of Colony Rd off of Sharon is South Park too. It's kind of a squiggly boundry in South Park, not so north, south, east or west - more like a triangle, sort of

Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,609 times
Not a silly question at all. I live in Balantyne (or at least I thought I did) and wasn't sure of it's boundries. I live off of Ardrey Kell and Johnston and was always under the impression, from Realtors, that this was Ballantyne???? Go figure...

Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM

533 posts, read 1,834,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Not a silly question at all. I live in Balantyne (or at least I thought I did) and wasn't sure of it's boundries. I live off of Ardrey Kell and Johnston and was always under the impression, from Realtors, that this was Ballantyne???? Go figure...
i would think the techinical answer is that ballantyne is the area in the pillars as they have signs that say "thank you for visiting ballantyne" when you pass them (i think they do, or maybe i made that up lol).

i would consider 521 and ardrey kell to be outside the ballantyne limits, but still ballantyne "area" because its so close. i think if i lived there i would say i live near ballantyne, but does it really matter?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,609 times
No, not to me. I was just letting the op know I didn't think the question was silly at all as I live in or near it and don't know the answer.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:47 PM

693 posts, read 2,177,016 times
Thanks all! I really do drive past those signs and think..."I just left ballantyne and didn't even know I was in it"! I kept thinking there had to be more to it... It does seem like the surrounding areas are just as nice...so I couldn't tell. I drive around the area it's kind of like I blink and miss it. Your info definitely will help me get my bearings.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM

716 posts, read 2,159,086 times
(I had to go look up "Brigadoon!")

There's one of those short Ballantyne pillars at Lancaster Hwy and Ballantyne Commons Parkway, so I'm thinking the western boundary is one more n-s-oriented road west of Johnston.

As for south...you can't go farther south down Johnston Rd than the SC border, so that's probably it on that side!

And that's just a wee bit south of Ardrey Kell Rd. So I'd consider Ardrey Kell a good border too.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
There are a set of pillars on 521 at the South End of Ballantyne as well.

South Park didn't exist until the mall was built in 1970, so there's nothing wrong with saying "Arboretum area".

A lot of realtors will use "Ballantyne Area", in order to increase property value, but there are some legal ramifications if someone is selling a property as "in Ballantyne" and it isn't.

Before 1995, it was called "Piper Glen Area", and Ballantyne Commons Parkway WAS Providence Road West all the way to McKee Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte