Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:26 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times

Advertisements

I've heard some pretty interesting things about Crush. I'm not quite too old to find myself in a club, but that one sure as heck will NOT be it.

Just get out of the house and you might stumble in to a place you like. Best thing I can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 AM

Location: Hitler City, North Carolina If they hadn't changed their name to Charlotte they'd be sunk
22 posts, read 48,715 times
Well, first of all Charlotte is a status/image conscience town, everybody here wants to be the celebrity/millionaire they see on TV. The Becky and Chads or Ken and Barbies are the status quo. The city caters to the haves and the upwardly mobiles. Charlotte is a city of wanna-bes. I see it and obviously you see. I've traveled all over the country and this is the last city I would want to go out for a night on the town in.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:40 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
I don't have any first hand knowledge but I've heard Savoy Club advertised a lot.

Clubzone- Charlotte

Old 10-31-2008, 06:32 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeSzyslak View Post
Well, first of all Charlotte is a status/image conscience town, everybody here wants to be the celebrity/millionaire they see on TV. The Becky and Chads or Ken and Barbies are the status quo. The city caters to the haves and the upwardly mobiles. Charlotte is a city of wanna-bes. I see it and obviously you see. I've traveled all over the country and this is the last city I would want to go out for a night on the town in.
Care to share some examples of how Charlotte "caters to the haves and the upwardly mobiles"?

I've been here for nearly 2 years and I don't see that here more than any other city of comparable size.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 AM

117 posts, read 597,473 times
If you are looking for dance clubs then University is NOT the place to go. I live in the University area and there aren't any dance clubs up here (unless you want to go to LKN). It doesn't sound like most of the places uptown are going to be what you are looking for. Forum is very popular as is HOM but you're not going to find the laid back type. Most of the uptown clubs are home to the "local celebrity" crowd you are trying to avoid (or the drunk college kids).

You mentioned minimal-techno...does that mean you are looking for a techno dance club? If so then try the Garden & Gun Club. It draws a gay crowd (FYI - I personally don't have a problem with that but don't want to send the OP there if he/she is a homophobe) so if good dance/techno is what you are looking for and that doesn't bother you then definitely check it out.

The Evening Muse in NoDa always has great bands and "laid-back" people.

There is another thread from last year that has info on music venues...not sure if it will help you but here it is:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...sic-scene.html

Charlotte has a lot of cool places but you gotta hunt around for them. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 AM

Excellent call on the Evening Muse, but I don't think they do many hip-hop or R&B acts...

I loved seeing Christabel and the Jons there, though!

Old 10-31-2008, 11:17 AM

184 posts, read 359,517 times
hey LOL at the Club I-85 joke

best response I've received in a while

in reference to the techno thing- no I am not looking for techno- I just observed it from a few places I've been to so far

caribbean music aside (sadly, ) I just want a club/lounge with grown, diverse, and accepting people and to also avoid the Charles & Beckster types and especially avoid racist white folks that say disparaging things against black people around their white friends but throw their hands in the air when they ear a Fatman Scoop hook

is that too much to ask?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 AM

I like the lounge in the Hilton on 4th St. uptown, FWIW. They make a heck of an Old Fashioned. Though they play the Sirius channel called "Chill", not exactly R&B or hip-hop.

Other than that, I don't have much for ya. I tend to frequent the Tyber Creek Pub/Flying Saucer/Red Lion Pub/Madison's type of establishments, rather than clubs.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeSzyslak View Post
How can Charlotte be catagorized by its citizens when the majority are not from Charlotte? It has to be like other places. Are the people that come here just more educated and richer or something? If you think that this is the last city in the country where you would take people out for a night on the town, I would bet that you know nothing about the city and would love to know the cities that you basing your comments on. Charlotte may not be the best, but it certainly isn't anywhere near the worst. I just moved here, but I am amazed at the mentality of some people that have also moved here. Geeeez, who do you people hang with and where do you go? What is lacking here? Nothing.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:22 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
For anyone confused about the OP, below are translations from the Urban Dictionary:

1. Ed Hardy - An incredibly stupid and overpriced (think Hot Topic but even more stupid and over-priced than that) clothing brand worn by hipsters and "starving artists" in Hollywood.
2. Confederate Flags - slang for rednecks, I would guess
3. Becky - In terms of a minority male dating a "white" girl, the white girl is known as a Becky. A stereotypical white girl name fits the basis of all white girls OR unbelievably sexy, thin white girl with gorgeous eyes and an awesome personality, but a little on the crazy side, loves to party and has a high chance of becoming an alcoholic.
4. Chad - Chad can be identified by his appearance which usually consists of the following: mesh trucker hat, frosted hair, greasy spiked hair, polo shirt with the collar turned up, fake tan, ringer t-shirt two sizes too small, pants two sizes too small, wifebeater in public, and a light colored button-up shirt. Chad's also have spent time in a fraternity, will dance by themselves to attract attention, and typically drink light beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: