Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:52 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,419,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Man, I still haven't turned on my heat, the lowest inside temp I've hit was 63 degrees which is totally within my comfort zone. I guess if it falls below 60 I'll throw a log into my fireplace.

I can report tomorrow morning.. I bet it'll be around 57 when I wake up.

What are you, a polar bear? My heat has been on (and off) for over a month now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 02:55 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,330 times
Gotta watch the EMF's from those electric blankets. I warm up my neck warmer in the microwave and throw it under the covers about 5 mins before I get in. Toasty!!! Do you have something like that you can use? Good luck and stay warm.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:15 PM

144 posts, read 403,908 times
I have this heater. I got at walmart last year when our heat was broken and it was the best 40 bucks I have ever spent. I still use it even though our heater works fine. It heats up our bedroom in 20 minutes which is great since we don't have kids so heating up the whole house at night isn't always necessary. It also has a timer and different temp settings. It turns off automatically in seven hours if you don't set it. It says its not available in stores but I who knows since I got mine in store.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:54 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,899 times
My electric blanket is officially going on the bed tonight! I just took the dog out for a quick walk, I thought I would do it before it got too cold, too late!

Old 11-19-2008, 05:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
kja25 I am so worried thinking about you especially letting a dog this morning.

I prayed and thought about you all evening and doing so again this morning

I HOPE YOU ARE OK.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:14 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,460 times
So I decided to kick on the heat for my dog for the first time all year this morning. I don't want him shivering when I'm at work do I? I woke up to it being 54 inside. Nice brisk shower and I'm good to go.

But my heat seems to be blowing lukewarm air as well... Its been on an hour and only managed to heat 1000sqft 2 degrees...

Does anyone know what the outlet temperature of the air should be? I've got an IR thermometer that I can use to track the temperature at the vents.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:24 AM

143 posts, read 537,587 times
We survived the night I brought my space heater home from work and made sure to dress (and sleep) in layers of clothes (and blankets). The house was 56 degrees when I woke up, eww. This morning I blew a fuse in the middle of drying my hair because the space heater was going at the same time ...not fun to have to face the low temperatures with wet hair! :-P

But thanks everyone for their nice thoughts and advice. One more night of this til the Heating & Air tech comes (I found out that this "problem" is covered by my home warranty too!! yay!)

Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,460 times
Just as a point of advice....

When I was a kid in scouts we were on top of a mountain where the windchill made it feel like were in -22degree weather. We had no fire, and inside the tent it was a nice 3 degrees. The first night I slept in layers and was freezing cold all night.

The second night the scout master laughed at us and said to sleep in your underwear. No joke, I slept like a baby when I stripped down to my boxers.

I don't think it'll get cold enough in your house for this to really make a difference, but sleeping in layers will cause you to sweat, and when you're wet and the outside air temperature is cold, you get colder quicker. Food for thought.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
So I decided to kick on the heat for my dog for the first time all year this morning. I don't want him shivering when I'm at work do I? I woke up to it being 54 inside. Nice brisk shower and I'm good to go.
'Mr. T' might be a better moniker for you, sir.

Quote:
The second night the scout master laughed at us and said to sleep in your underwear. No joke, I slept like a baby when I stripped down to my boxers.
I do not quite understand it, but this definitely works.
When camping and it is really cold I am much warmer in my sleeping bag the LESS clothing I wear.
Possibly less clothing allows your body heat to radiate yet be contained within the sleeping bag warming your whole body - I don't know.
Perhaps somehow more schooled than I in thermodynamics can weigh in.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,899 times
Quote:
Just as a point of advice....

When I was a kid in scouts we were on top of a mountain where the windchill made it feel like were in -22degree weather. We had no fire, and inside the tent it was a nice 3 degrees. The first night I slept in layers and was freezing cold all night.

I don't think it'll get cold enough in your house for this to really make a difference, but sleeping in layers will cause you to sweat, and when you're wet and the outside air temperature is cold, you get colder quicker. Food for thought.

Yes, we did the same when we tent camped, less is better. I also slept on my clothes, nothing worse than putting on cold Levi's in the AM.

Also, if you watch Surviorman, whenever Les is in the cold trying to do something he always warns you not to work up to a sweat.

So I would say this myth is confirmed! Good advice Mr Config T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte