Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:11 PM

143 posts, read 537,708 times

Advertisements

Anyone else out there suffering with a COLD house because of a broken/inefficient heater? My heater goes on but doesn't stay on to reach the desired temp; like it could ever get there by spitting out lukewarm air anyway. *sigh*

Acosta Heating & Air is supposed to come look at it tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that it isn't a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kja25 View Post
Anyone else out there suffering with a COLD house because of a broken/inefficient heater? My heater goes on but doesn't stay on to reach the desired temp; like it could ever get there by spitting out lukewarm air anyway. *sigh*

Acosta Heating & Air is supposed to come look at it tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that it isn't a big deal.
Ahhhhh...the joys of home ownership!

Sorry this has happened to you kja25 - hopefully the problem will be easy to fix and not cost too much. Can you stay somewhere else tonight, it's going to be in the 20's I believe!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
try to stay near gas fire place or use the oil filled space heaters and tonight drip your water so your pipes do not burst . This reminds me of one of my first rentals years ago I wanted to move in the day before power was turned on . I was wrapped up like an Eskimo and slept throught this and to find out days later I choose the draftiest room to be in . Malls are cool to hang out in and especially by the fireplace in panera bread.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Ditto to what Sunny & LM said.

If you can't find a relative or friend to stay at...then

Space heaters are a great thing. This is an emergency, goto Walmart and get a couple NOW before the temp drops another 10-20 deg tonight. Place them in various rooms you use. They're not that expensive. It will get you through for the short term....its what I did when I had an emergency like yours.

good luck.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
try to stay near gas fire place or use the oil filled space heaters and tonight drip your water so your pipe
I love mine, but leaving it on all night would cost a fortune.
Might as well stay warm by burning stacks of $20s.

Seriously though, I hope it isn't a big expensive deal, kja25!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:32 PM

143 posts, read 537,708 times
Well, last night was pretty bad...I slept in a hoodie, flannel plants and those really puffy socks and I was still cold. Tonight should be more interesting.

I don't have anyone to stay with so I (along with my partner, 2 cats and 1 dog) will be dealing with it. Maybe I should let my dog sleep in the bed to add a little more body heat, haha.

Quick question, when you say drip the water does that mean every sink? This whole homeownership deal is new to me

Old 11-18-2008, 02:31 PM

677 posts, read 2,238,375 times
Man, I still haven't turned on my heat, the lowest inside temp I've hit was 63 degrees which is totally within my comfort zone. I guess if it falls below 60 I'll throw a log into my fireplace.

I can report tomorrow morning.. I bet it'll be around 57 when I wake up.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kja25 View Post
Well, last night was pretty bad...I slept in a hoodie, flannel plants and those really puffy socks and I was still cold. Tonight should be more interesting.

I don't have anyone to stay with so I (along with my partner, 2 cats and 1 dog) will be dealing with it. Maybe I should let my dog sleep in the bed to add a little more body heat, haha.

Quick question, when you say drip the water does that mean every sink? This whole homeownership deal is new to me
Oh shoot, if it weren't for the dog I was going to offer you my spare bedroom! My cats just can't tolerate dogs I'm afraid!

Do follow couponJack's advice - go to Walmart and get a little electric heater. You can warm yourself up very nicely with one of those by shutting your door and keeping the heat in just your room. And they don't cost much at all - under $25.00. Best of luck to you!

Oh, and dripping the kitchen sink should be sufficient - pencil thin stream, it doesn't take much okay?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I think if you drip the kitchen sink, it keeps the water flowing in the pipes and not all have to be dripped. But it depends on what kind of foundation you have, a crawl space might mean all have to be dripped. You can buy pipe insulation at Home Depot or similar, and wrap all exposed pipes. If you're on a slab or basement, one faucet should do it.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 PM

223 posts, read 538,012 times
Electric blankets are pretty nice if you have electricity where you live. And they're more economical than heating a whole area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte