Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
It might be interesting to know from our members: If you couldn't find one single piece of work would you do something illegal?
How illegal?
If no work and no illegal what do you do for a safety net and/or survive?
You should start a new thread, lol.

Off the top of my head I say an emphatic "NO" to anything illegal. But then again, I have spent my life cultivating relationships and being a good friend, so I feel I'd find places to fall until I could regroup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 09:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
It might be interesting to know from our members: If you couldn't find one single piece of work would you do something illegal?
How illegal?
If no work and no illegal what do you do for a safety net and/or survive?
Well, I am too old, too fat and too grumpy to be a streetwalker, so that is out.

As for anything else illegal . . . I had family members who made and sold white lightning back in Prohibition and I would have done that, if it meant putting food on the table.

I am afraid to grow marijuana. First of all, I would not know how to market it, so that is out.

As far as stealing, no, am too morally opposed to that.

So I don't know anything else illegal to do that I could make money doing.

My response to unemployment is to create a job for myself. I am a liturgical organist, but have stopped b/c I have some arthritis in my right hand. However, I could push through that if necessary. I could teach sewing lessons and I also could make clothing, so I think I would go for that - alterations, clothing perhaps for children (inexpensive but cute). I also love to cook, so would think of some way to use that skill. Writers are the first to go when times get bad (well, right behind marketing people and I do both, so . . . not very marketable skills when money is tight). I can tutor and also am an editor - so would see how those skills could be used.

I have also wondered about starting a gutter installation company. Seems a lot of people out of work would be willing to work for me for $18/hr to do installation of gutters. I have tried to research what it would cost to start up that business cause it seems it would give others a job as well as make a small profit for me. I had two bad experiences w/ gutter companies showing up w/ illegal immigrants who could not communicate w/ me, so I dismissed them. So I am thinking others might appreciate having an all American crew show up - guys who need the money and are hard workers.

So I would figure out a way to make money - legally. I really don't understand why the guy in the article didn't take some of his money he made off his house - and start a business.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,033,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I am too old, too fat and too grumpy to be a streetwalker, so that is out.

You know some people may like that

As to me doing anything illegal if its less than 20 million I am not interested.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
You know some people may like that

As to me doing anything illegal if its less than 20 million I am not interested.
ROFL!!! Yeah, they say there is someone for everyone!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,721,398 times
Default easy answer

Quote:
I really don't understand why the guy in the article didn't take some of his money he made off his house - and start a business.
Was eating 3 meals a day until he starting thinking about Thanksgiving. Got hungry for money REAL quick!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:

As for anything else illegal . . . I had family members who made and sold white lightning back in Prohibition and I would have done that, if it meant putting food on the table.

white lightning=Prohibiton
Cigarettes = 8 bux a pack in some states

Not a smoker. Just keeping my gas tank filled and my road map out.
LOL. Actually I am going to change my "status" slogan now and write a song tonite:
"On the Road again...".
Didn't someone already write that????

Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,636,472 times
I guess I am alone in having some empathy for the interviewee. As a professional, degreed person, I would assume that I should have been able to find a job in the last 2 years. Especially since 2 years ago, Charlotte was supposed to be in a boom.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,225,321 times
I feel empathy and a little sympathy.. but we all are reviewing our situations.. it is getting nutty out there!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:10 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,033,264 times
Quote:
ROFL!!! Yeah, they say there is someone for everyone!!!
]

Sorry could not resist

Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Default maybe

Well, she needs to eat!

YouTube - I just wanna be happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte