Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 AM

171 posts, read 272,450 times

Advertisements

It is a pity that Mccrory wears his swaztika so high on the sleeve, he is well known in Charlotte and had that going, but then he opened his mouth....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clavoski View Post
It is a pity that Mccrory wears his swaztika so high on the sleeve, he is well known in Charlotte and had that going, but then he opened his mouth....
Excuse me? I am not connecting here . . . methinks you need to explain a statement like that. ????

Old 12-24-2008, 06:03 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Excuse me? I am not connecting here . . . methinks you need to explain a statement like that. ????
I think I can explain this one Ani. Pat has made several public statements about "young blacks" in Charlotte causing trouble at events such as 4th of July and New Years. Regardless of whether it was true or not, citing their race was just dead wrong. Pat was also against an increase in the minimum wage of city employees (many of them black) back when we voted for the arena. Pat also doesn't think light rail should go to the nation's 9th busiest airport. Most of that corridor from Uptown to the airport is black. I don't think Pat is racist at all, but many blacks in this town do and for good reasons.

Some blacks even have a little hatred for Charlotte because this town has constantly voted in McCrory. Last year, McCrory defeated Ms. Beverly Earle (an AA female) and it wasn't even close. Ms. Earle already held a state office and still does today. McCrory does not. Pound for pound, Ms. Earle was a more qualified mayoral candidate than Pat and she lost big time.

McCrory also supported John McCain and ultimately, that is what did him in. Pat's campaign was all about "changing Raleigh" yet he did not support the presidential candidate that was calling for "a change" in Washington. Perdue rode Obama's coattail right into Raleigh's governor mansion. I almost did not vote for McCrory after he so proudly supported McCain. That is why Obama gave a "shout out" to Mrs. Beverly Perdue as "NC's next governor" during the start of his speech in UPTOWN CHARLOTTE!!! If Pat had not gone against Obama politically, he would have won hands down. He underestimated just how much Charlotte supported Obama. He should have known better. Now it is time for him to step down because he is politically out of touch with his own backyard.

I voted for Pat in the governor's race because he was the better candidate, but Pat's "big mouth" did him in. He was too darn honest and it made him look like a racist at times. He should have been like most politicians and just lied a little bit!!!

Anthony Fox will make a great mayor of Charlotte next year and I hope this city opens its eyes and VOTE HIM IN!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-24-2008 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I am sorry, but if you think "young blacks" have not caused disturbances such as at the 4th of July deal, then you are blind. Just look at the newspaper pictures next time. I am no McCroy fan, I can assure you, but the bedlam at the 4th was hardly a small deal --- what would you rather he said.."young people?' C'mon, get real.

Having said that, I am old and I am white, so the next time I terrorize an area and the people in it, during a celebration, you have my absolute permission to call me "an old white." No problem.

lln

Old 12-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I am sorry, but if you think "young blacks" have not caused disturbances such as at the 4th of July deal, then you are blind. Just look at the newspaper pictures next time. I am no McCroy fan, I can assure you, but the bedlam at the 4th was hardly a small deal --- what would you rather he said.."young people?' C'mon, get real.

Having said that, I am old and I am white, so the next time I terrorize an area and the people in it, during a celebration, you have my absolute permission to call me "an old white." No problem.

lln
You don't know me very well lln. My son's grandmother is old and white!!! In 30 years, my wife will be old and white LOL!!! Like I said, I don't think McCrory is a racist, but he should not have cited the race of the accused (you know, innocent until proven guilty). That is the news reporters' job, not the mayor of Charlotte. Think about it, what was the point of reminding all of us that they were black? We all saw their mugshots on channel 9 that evening!!! That is kinda like saying "the salty food has lots of salt on it".

Harvey Gantt would have NEVER publically said "young white" trouble makers during his term as mayor. He would have called them "troubled youth". I know this may sound petty (which it is) but Charlotte has a growing population of blacks that are very sensitive to certain words and usage of words. McCrory forgot that often times when he spoke. That is why a poster here implied that McCrory is a racist. It is just that simple.

And one other thing. I don't have to look at newspaper pictures. I was there!!! My wife and my step son (he is white) was interviewed by WBTV that night. CMPD had their hands full with several drunk people that night. They were not all black (many were). Trust me, I have over 100 videos of my outings in Charlotte if you think I don't know this city. You don't have to preach to me sister. I know my city quite well!!! As for calling me "blind", well my mother taught me to respect my elders so I won't comment on that one. Happy Holidays!!!

In the future, if you wish to see what an uptown celebration really looks like, just ask me to show you a video. It would be my pleasure!!! Getting the dirt from the observer is not a good source. The "O" made that night sound like a war zone and it was hardly that at all.

Here are some sample videos just for you. Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D3bn...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ycnu...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDu52...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6SW6...e=channel_page

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-24-2008 at 08:41 PM..

Old 12-24-2008, 09:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What concerns me at this point is - we generate the most tax revenue - but you watch - our road projects are gonna get the shaft.
At least since your mayor didn't get into the governors office, the rest of the state won't be taxed to build Charlotte's light rail.

Oh and you should see all the money from Raleigh never go any further west than Hickory.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Very interesting, those tv ads. I wonder if thats why Asheville isn't developing as fast it could.
Anything west of Hickory just isn't on their radar.

But Asheville is developing way too fast as is. If I wanted to live in a place like Charlotte or Atlanta with all the sprawl and traffic, I'd move there.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
At least since your mayor didn't get into the governors office, the rest of the state won't be taxed to build Charlotte's light rail.

Oh and you should see all the money from Raleigh never go any further west than Hickory.
If Charlotte seceded from NC, NC would go broke!!! And I am sorry, but Asheville has almost as many freeways as Charlotte and is barely larger than Gastonia!!! No city in NC as small as Asheville has quite the freeway network that Asheville enjoys. NONE!!! Monroe, Concord, Gastonia, Lake Norman, and several other towns surrounding Charlotte should have freeways like Asheville being that they are similar in size huh? And the US 321 mountain blasting road project near Blowing Rock is a "high priority" road project that is draining this state's money big time. I guess that area is not west of Hickory? I am sure the 4 lane highway to Blowing Rock will be used by more North Carolinians than I-485 around Charlotte LOL!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-24-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-24-2008, 10:48 PM

505 posts, read 2,543,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You don't know me very well lln. My son's grandmother is old and white!!! In 30 years, my wife will be old and white LOL!!! Like I said, I don't think McCrory is a racist, but he should not have cited the race of the accused (you know, innocent until proven guilty). That is the news reporters' job, not the mayor of Charlotte. Think about it, what was the point of reminding all of us that they were black? We all saw their mugshots on channel 9 that evening!!! That is kinda like saying "the salty food has lots of salt on it".

Harvey Gantt would have NEVER publically said "young white" trouble makers during his term as mayor. He would have called them "troubled youth". I know this may sound petty (which it is) but Charlotte has a growing population of blacks that are very sensitive to certain words and usage of words. McCrory forgot that often times when he spoke. That is why a poster here implied that McCrory is a racist. It is just that simple.

And one other thing. I don't have to look at newspaper pictures. I was there!!! My wife and my step son (he is white) was interviewed by WBTV that night. CMPD had their hands full with several drunk people that night. They were not all black (many were). Trust me, I have over 100 videos of my outings in Charlotte if you think I don't know this city. You don't have to preach to me sister. I know my city quite well!!! As for calling me "blind", well my mother taught me to respect my elders so I won't comment on that one. Happy Holidays!!!

In the future, if you wish to see what an uptown celebration really looks like, just ask me to show you a video. It would be my pleasure!!! Getting the dirt from the observer is not a good source. The "O" made that night sound like a war zone and it was hardly that at all.

Here are some sample videos just for you. Enjoy!!!

YouTube - urban charlotte

YouTube - urban charlotte

YouTube - Thanksgiving Day

YouTube - Thanksgiving Day

I don't see what the big deal is about Pat calling out a race. It's fact?? Why cover that up?

I also don't believe Charlotte is getting the bad end of the stick. You have light rail, Wachovia (wells), Bank of America, Nascar, New Wachovia and Bank of america towers going up. Ritz Carlton, Epicentre, The Vue, new museums, NFL Football...etc

I could go on and on and on.

Keep expanding on that light rail. You guys are in great shape and will be even better! Raleigh can't even get the outer outer loop finished! We are adding tolls to pay for the rest. So Raleigh is doing no better.

Also...you talk about downeast projects. One of the biggest arguments is the Fayettville loop. Fay-nam is getting 66 million, Charlotte a Billion, Raleigh 750 Million roughly. That sums it up. My source is news 14 carolina.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:07 AM

I don't see what the big deal is about Pat calling out a race. It's fact?? Why cover that up?
Because blacks were not the only race out there causing trouble that night. Again, I was there.

I also don't believe Charlotte is getting the bad end of the stick. You have light rail, Wachovia (wells), Bank of America, Nascar, New Wachovia and Bank of america towers going up. Ritz Carlton, Epicentre, The Vue, new museums, NFL Football...etc
Out of all the things you just named, light rail is the ONLY project funded by the state. Only 25% of it is state funded at that. That 25% is NOTHING to compare to the hundreds of millions Charlotte gets short changed every year in highway dollars.

I could go on and on and on.
So can I!!! What's your point?

Keep expanding on that light rail. You guys are in great shape and will be even better!
We know!!! Thank you!!!

Raleigh can't even get the outer outer loop finished!
Raleigh doesn't need one. Charlotte does!!!

We are adding tolls to pay for the rest.
Save your money by building roads that Raleigh needs (ie a freeway from downtown to North Raleigh. Capital Blvd is a joke!!!)

So Raleigh is doing no better.
I see 6 to 8 lanes of pavement on I-440. I-77 in Charlotte should have twice as many lanes.

Also...you talk about downeast projects. One of the biggest arguments is the Fayettville loop. Fay-nam is getting 66 million, Charlotte a Billion, Raleigh 750 Million roughly. That sums it up. My source is news 14 carolina.
If Raleigh is getting 750 million, then Charlotte should get 1.5 billion (Charlotte is nearly double Raleigh's population). Being that "Fay-nam" is now 200,000 strong (more than half of Raleigh's population), "Fay-nam" should get almost 400 million. Looks like Raleigh is getting the biggest slice per person. I am not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte