Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Go for it, it is your choice. That is all I am saying. This person has the right to spend his money where he wants. From what I understood the OP to say was he wanted either a gay or gay friendly dealership. I believe we all like to do business with people we feel have similar values as we do. That also goes for who we vote for. It is our right.
Exactly, and why I haven't used Domino's Pizza in many years b/c of the founder's support of things I don't believe in.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:36 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,776 times
revrvt -- i'm sorry, somewhere in the insanity that this thread has turned into, i lost whether you indicated the kinds of cars you might be interested in. it seemed like from other's posts you might be looking at mileage, in particular.

if so, i recently rented a corolla and i can tell you because i set the trip computer, it got exactly 33.1 highway mpg. only thing about that corolla, though...it was LITTLE! it was peppy, though...seemed to be peppier than the civic which, i think, has the same size engine. also, speaking of toyotas, a friend of mine has the prius, and he loves it.

as far as suvs go, i used to lease a jeep grand cherokee, and i loved that thing, but the 17 city mpg i averaged with it just did not do. but if you like the grand cherokee, you might also like the nissan murano, which gets about 24 mpg.

another car that i've spent some time in recently was the chevy hhr. don't know if you're interested in american-made. this suv is little and sort of odd-shaped (imo), but really comfortable inside, good on gas, and very peppy.

as far as your other question, unfortunately i don't know the answer to that one. (however, i do feel that you should be able to buy a car from whomever you please without attracting the wrath of 3/4 of the people in the charlotte metro area!)

good luck with your car-buying experience. it definitely is a great time to buy!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
good luck with your car-buying experience. it definitely is a great time to buy!
+1

Leasing is now more expensive though.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:58 PM

mullman -- really, you think so? i haven't found that to be the case with the cars i have been interested in...the lease deals have been really competitive, more so when the salespeople have found out i've been shopping around. i wonder why our experiences have been different...

edit: reread, and realized this could sound sarcastic...don't at all mean the post this way...sincerely curious...

Old 02-07-2009, 05:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
barndog,

I have not bought a car in over 20 years, and lease for business purposes.
Leasing is definitely more expensive now due to lower future residual values.
They are pegging future values for 2-4 year old vehicles much lower than they have historically done.

That being said, I just ordered a car that I will be leasing.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,641 times
Yeah, residuals have changed dramatically. Apparently car companies used to regularly lose money hand over fist on leases, because of unrealstic residuals...that has changed now. The upside is that if your car is in good condition and has low miles at the end of your lease, it may be worth more than the residual...and you can use that "equity" towards a new lease/purchase.

We've put less than 2500 miles on our new leased SUV since Labor Day...

Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Ssd3-FYI Just because you are a business and open your doors to the public, it doesn't mean you must serve everyone. I know plenty of people who own businesses that flat out refuse to do business with certain people for certain reasons.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
[
another car that i've spent some time in recently was the chevy hhr. don't know if you're interested in american-made. this suv is little and sort of odd-shaped (imo), but really comfortable inside, good on gas, and very peppy.

as far as your other question, unfortunately i don't know the answer to that one. (however, i do feel that you should be able to buy a car from whomever you please without attracting the wrath of 3/4 of the people in the charlotte metro area!)

good luck with your car-buying experience. it definitely is a great time to buy![/quote]

You didn't address the initial question. You gave your critique of cars and didn't suggest a gay/gay friendly salesperson. That was the whole point of hs posting. Many of us feel that one should buy from whomever one wishes. The problem some of us have is the descrimination against others for sexual behaviors and/or attitudes. I feel that if a person inquired about finding a white car salesman that is against marital rights for gays, their would be an outrage. Is descrimination O.K. in certain circumstances? Anotherwords, is it O.K. to refuse the services of a car salesman because he practices heterosexual sex? Go figure. Hypothetically speaking, if te subscriber had a father or mother that was a salesperson, would he not buy from him/her if not gay? I am personally fine with gays and have no hangups concerning them. I simply support equality for all without descrimination due to sexual preferences, race, or religion.

Last edited by vindaloo; 02-08-2009 at 08:52 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 10:24 AM

bandi -- this is the op's original post:

"One car lease ends in March, the other in October. Looking for a gay or gay friendly automobile salesperson. Still not sure what make or model I'll end up with, or whether I'll buy this time or lease again. Currently drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I love but I want something more fuel efficient... anyone have any recommendations for a good GLBT salesperson and/or a good vehicle? THANKS!

i was responding specifically to his request for information about a good vehicle.

now if you want to talk specifically about the other part of the op's question, i will answer that as well...as a female, in the past i have wanted to deal specifically with female salespeople at dealerships. if i had wanted to post on this board asking for a recommendation for a female salesperson and i had been pounded for that request, i would have been seriously pissed off because it is none of yours or anyone else's business who i do business with.

likewise, if the op prefers to do business with someone else of his/her own sexual preference that is most certainly his own business.

i have gay friends (i don't know if you do), but i have been horrified at the way they have been treated both outright to their faces and in subtle ways behind their backs. if it lessens the op's anxiety in some way to walk into a dealership where he feels that he will be treated more fairly (and he very well may be!), then i support him wholeheartedly!

i am sure that this individual has experienced a level of bias that most of us will never understand. and it is fine for you to say that you support equality for all, blah, blah, blah...but when you say that, it almost sounds as if you haven't really even known anybody who has suffered discrimination on a daily basis. it changes everything when you do...not everything is so clear cut anymore.

(oh, and op, if you're female, sorry for continuously calling you a male.)

Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
This is the way I look at the OP - OP wants a particular type of vehicle, FIRST; then it is a plus to go to a gay friendly dealer/dealership, to satisfy comfort level in negotiation. Nothing wrong with the request now...OP got plenty of leads. My 2 (depression era, devalued) cents!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-08-2009 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: let the moderators do the moderating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte