Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte economy losing jobs, seeking information from citizens on financial plans, move away from Charlotte for job, stay in Charlotte, starting a new business, going back to school

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Would that make them pod people?
Yes, it would. A family of three would live in a tri-pod and of course a single person would rent an I pod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 PM

677 posts, read 2,237,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I've been there in my younger years. I won't say the method used but it got me there and back mostly in one piece.
See, I found some little known 1980s documentation that mentions a traveler named Brian.

It's stating to make sense now... I'll have to mention this new information to Jack and Jim (if he shows up, lousy drunk).

Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorway View Post
yes, it would. A family of three would live in a tri-pod and of course a single person would rent an i pod. :d
roflmao! :d:d:d

Old 02-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
See, I found some little known 1980s documentation that mentions a traveler named Brian.

It's stating to make sense now... I'll have to mention this new information to Jack and Jim (if he shows up, lousy drunk).
Sounds like we all hang w/ the same crowd. Those guys sure get around . . .

Old 02-18-2009, 06:09 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Yes, it would. A family of three would live in a tri-pod and of course a single person would rent an I pod.
That gets and Ed McMahon "Hey-O!"

Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
To keep it on topic though, I can see the party starting back up, possibly even more aggressively than before. The more people's life savings take a hammering, the more inclined they may be to move to a more tax friendly state in order to reclaim some of what they lost. States like New York and New Jersey may become even more unrealistic places to retire in.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
To keep it on topic though, I can see the party starting back up, possibly even more aggressively than before. The more people's life savings take a hammering, the more inclined they may be to move to a more tax friendly state in order to reclaim some of what they lost. States like New York and New Jersey may become even more unrealistic places to retire in.
For some strange reason, I have a hunch (but don't live in a bell tower) that we may see a large influx of Californians. Yes, their economy's in shambles, but Charlotte's only one of many cities to relocate. I don't have much more back up than that. Maybe it's just me.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
For some strange reason, I have a hunch (but don't live in a bell tower) that we may see a large influx of Californians. Yes, their economy's in shambles, but Charlotte's only one of many cities to relocate. I don't have much more back up than that. Maybe it's just me.
Very expensive to move from CA to NC if you have belongings to ship . . . but if you are traveling light . . .

We have had quite a few people move here from CA . . . there are stats somewhere - saw this last year - outmigration patterns and wh/ states people are moving to. Wish I could find that info.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So here we are. Some of us grew up here . . . some of us moved here with a job or hoping to find a life for our families or a new career move . . .

And it appears that collectively, we are getting ready to deal with some big issues that will affect us all - if not directly, then certainly - indirectly.

Last year, Charlotte lost 32,000 jobs. This year . . . who knows? I suspect at the end of this quarter, we will have an official unemployment rate of 10%.

We are all in this collectively - and what happens to part of us will affect all of us.

Just wondering what your personal strategy is for the coming year to 18 months. If you have lost your job (or feel pretty certain a lay-off is on the horizon) . . . what are you thinking about doing?

1. You want to stay in this area; you are happy here; you hope to replace your job here

2. You want to stay in the area, but you feel pretty certain you will have to relocate. You are worried, tho, about selling your house in this market.

3. You know you will have to leave to find a new job. You are worried about selling your house but will think about that when you land a new position.

4. Charlotte has been a bad experience, and you want OUT.

What strategies have you come up with? Starting a sideline business? Going back to school? Living off your 401Ks and part time work? One spouse employed, the other getting unemployment checks and hoping to find a job?

Petrified and no clue what to do?

What are your strategies? What do you see in your future?
I actually might be one of the few blessed, lucky people to actually be rehired just recently...(very long story)...in my field.

I am also continuning making side income by preparing taxes.

To answer your question(s), for the next 18 months I will continue to look for ways to cut my spending. By no means do I have a "long term" contract and things can go downhill mighty quickly in construction (meaning in 6-8 months I could be on shaky ground again).

All I can say is that I'm thankful we had a plan (emergency fund) before I was laid off due to our pretty frugal lifestyle, and pray for others in our area every day to find work, because being unemployed sucks.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
I don't know Ani. The jobs we've gained recently aren't going to replace any high paying bank jobs lost, but imagine if you live in a city worse off than Charlotte (and there are many), and you read these recent headlines...

News 14 | 24 Hour Local News | Charlotte | Hundreds line up for shot at Charlotte job fair

Job Seekers Line Up At LMS For Resort Job Fair - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Thousands Line Up For Carowinds Job Fair - Money News Story - WXII The Triad (http://www.wxii12.com/money/18668169/detail.html - broken link)

IKEA Seeking 400 to Join Swedish Family in University City | Reuters

To locals, we probably say, "Wow look at all those people fighting for those few jobs ". To people in other cities they may say, "Oh man, I've got to get down there, they've got companies hiring! ".

As I always say, its all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte