Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:32 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,111 times

Advertisements

Yes, I also saw the other thread that was posted referring to Waxhaw as a "hellhole" and I was really taken back a bit..and found it insulting (even though I have only been here for a short time). I can only imagine how a native would feel hearing that term.

As far as the "changes" to the area go, I agree that the changes to the landscape is unfortunate. On Long Island they actually impose a moratorium on issuing new building permits to slow down growth. Although, with the housing market as bad as it is today, I doubt that will happen right now. But, if people feel that growth is happening too fast, then they can always voice that to the town reps (although politicians are only interested in money and chances are they are as corrupt as they are up here). I can only hope that by the time I get to move there permanently that the area won't be too altered. But for those reading these posts, IMO, this area is wonderful, and is certainly worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
I really think that people moving to the area from out-of-state need to have an open mind, visit, and take all of our posts with a grain of salt. We considered Waxhaw when we moved here, but ended up in Kannapolis for the ease of commute to UNCC. I think both are nice areas, although I have heard both described in very negative terms. Sometimes, it is actually the natives that have more negative opinions on towns around here, I have found. One good thing about being new to an area is you can really choose the best place for yourself without harboring any negative stereotypes!

Remember, almost every place will be considered a "hell hole" by someone!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times
Default Google Waxhaw hellhole

+1 DNaomi

I've never lived in Waxhaw so this is an outside perspective; Upon reflection, I think uk2va2nc's heart was in the right place but now there are two threads stating that Waxhaw is/was a hellhole.

If one takes the time to read that other thread, there are many posts disagreeing with the OP's opinion. There is a lot of positive feedback on Waxhaw. I think there is some good dialogue about the town's past and future in that thread.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:09 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
+1 DNaomi

I've never lived in Waxhaw so this is an outside perspective; Upon reflection, I think uk2va2nc's heart was in the right place but now there are two threads stating that Waxhaw is/was a hellhole.

If one takes the time to read that other thread, there are many posts disagreeing with the OP's opinion. There is a lot of positive feedback on Waxhaw. I think there is some good dialogue about the town's past and future in that thread.
I agree her heart was in the right place, but the title of the thread is misleading and not a good choice.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:42 AM

92 posts, read 274,172 times
Maybe you would stand by your words and start a new thread say "Waxhaw is and always has been a wonderful place to live", personally I was just getting peed off with seeing that other thread popping up with nothing particularly connected to it's subject topic being discussed.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2va2nc View Post
Maybe you would stand by your words and start a new thread say "Waxhaw is and always has been a wonderful place to live", personally I was just getting peed off with seeing that other thread popping up with nothing particularly connected to it's subject topic being discussed.
When a thread like that comes along it is better to dispute it's claims IN THAT THREAD. Starting a new thread with a misleading title just to get back at the person who wrote another misleading thread only compounds the problem.

To repeat...Waxhaw is a nice place. It has always been a nice place. It has never been a hellhole. It has always been desirable, especially in it's past to farmers and horsemen - now recently to transplants looking for low taxes and nice new homes.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 AM

IMHO most of this message board is used by people interested in living here and realtors. Those interested in living here will search a subdivision or a town and read all they can about it. So I would hope they have the intelligence to see my little joke in starting a new thread to replace the old one. The old one was 12 pages long and starts out very negative. This one is only 3 pages long and starts out positive. So my aim is achieved. I don't think I broke the rules of 'threading' - I never was a good seamstress :-)

Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 AM

575 posts, read 1,515,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2va2nc View Post
IMHO most of this message board is used by people interested in living here and realtors. Those interested in living here will search a subdivision or a town and read all they can about it. So I would hope they have the intelligence to see my little joke in starting a new thread to replace the old one. The old one was 12 pages long and starts out very negative. This one is only 3 pages long and starts out positive. So my aim is achieved. I don't think I broke the rules of 'threading' - I never was a good seamstress :-)
I thought that your thread was a sarcastic poke at the other thread with its negative description about Waxhaw. That thread was clearly done to bash/blame the newcomers for the ills, namely congestion, of the present day Waxhaw. Funny how with all this congestion the people who run the town of Waxhaw fear it is becoming a ghost town and are looking to redevelop Main St. Did the other thread decry the development being planned by the locals that will change Waxhaws character from a sleepy town to a bustling Main St. with a large apartment building and probable chain stores. Every developing world class city will have its suburbs prosper meaning some type of change is coming, those are the costs.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:31 AM

540 posts, read 1,705,848 times
why do people care about what a thread's title is called...if you have a problem with it...you're the problem, not the title....get a life....geez

Old 03-19-2009, 06:04 AM

Default Medicate me

"why do people care about what a thread's title is called...if you have a problem with it...you're the problem, not the title....get a life....geez"

Sounds like you're losing patience with my issue (maybe you need to get a life too).
Would you have a problem with someone calling your area a hellhole?
And you're right I am going to get a life and stop reading these petty boards - once I can get the medication started
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte