Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:18 PM

171 posts, read 272,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I would think that some of the luxury retailers are hurting right now, as people are scaling back and curbing their spending to make ends meet. For me, personally, I would much rather make sure that my mortgage and bills are paid, as well as make sure there's food on the table, than be concerned with sporting the "latest" and "greatest" brands.

With that said, I'm sure there's a reason why certain high end stores do not have a presence in Charlotte. Their market research must have indicated that it would not be beneficial open here, so they haven't.

The wealthy start behaving like normal people as soon as economy goes south, which makes the notion of increasing their tax breaks to improve economy a non starter. the wealthy curb their spending in bad times and would only put away their savings, and not influence the economy.

This argument is dated, i realize, since economy has picked up , but i overhead the conservative lady in the Mclaughlin group rehash the notion just recently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:46 PM

183 posts, read 230,845 times
This is something old I found about Saks not coming to Charlotte

Mall management tried hard to convince the retailer to become its fifth anchor tenant, adding to the prestige of SouthPark's pending addition of Nordstrom. No deal could be worked out, however, before the mall's new owners, Simon Property Group, took over the center last spring.

Dee Dee Harris lands Saks for south Charlotte project - Charlotte Business Journal:

Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 PM

16 posts, read 62,853 times
Dee Dee Harris killed Saks for now, and the real reason they aren't here is because with a Neiman's and Nordstrom the luxury market of Charlotte is at what it can handle. Here's a little secret though: SAKS was in for the Augustalee/Village at Lake Norman project that may or may not happen up in Cornelius. Whole Foods... it's about politics...

Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 PM

17 posts, read 46,236 times
Saks would do well at Northlake Mall, they still have a opening for another department store. Whole Foods may go in now at Midtown Metropolitan where the Home Depot Expo Center used to be. Btw, a 1st class city is because it offers all or most of retail, restaurants, hotels and restaurtants. Why would you not want Charlotte to gain all that it could? It's not gonna stop growing. The other cities may have a Saks, but do not have the other stores that Charlotte has, thats why its there, Raleigh has a Saks too, but no Neimans. Charleston only has Saks.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:58 PM

554 posts, read 1,508,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd327 View Post
Saks would do well at Northlake Mall, they still have a opening for another department store. Whole Foods may go in now at Midtown Metropolitan where the Home Depot Expo Center used to be. Btw, a 1st class city is because it offers all or most of retail, restaurants, hotels and restaurtants. Why would you not want Charlotte to gain all that it could? It's not gonna stop growing. The other cities may have a Saks, but do not have the other stores that Charlotte has, thats why its there, Raleigh has a Saks too, but no Neimans. Charleston only has Saks.
Agreed. The economy took a hit on not just Charlotte but the vast majority of America. Charlotte is a fast growing city and if I had to make a best educated guess, it will continue to grow at a fast pace. We will end up getting these stores to come..and why wouldn't we want it? Every larger city wants to have all options! It will come, but everything is either in slow mode or on a freeze right now..and it very well should be, the economy needs to recover before adding more stores here. For now, I am happy with what we have! And I'm even more excited about getting Nordstrom Rack than I would ever be about getting a SAKS!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
If you really want Saks or Whole Foods then drive to a city that has them. Every city is turning into a carbon copy of every other city. Soon there won't be anything about Charlotte that makes it a destination worth visiting. I think individuality & uniqueness are good traits to cultivate. If I wanted to move to NYC or Newark or Chicago or LA I'd be there.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:16 AM

14 posts, read 67,376 times
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Saks Incorporated announced it will close its Saks Fifth Avenue store on King Street, after serving the Charleston community for 14 years
The store will close on July 17th. Saks Incorporated also announced it will close stores in Portland and San Diego

This space won't be empty for too long, clothing and accessory retailer Forever 21 says it will move into the 33,000 square foot space later this year, and bring along with it 150 new jobs.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:17 AM

830 posts, read 1,531,076 times
Saks would not do well at Northlake...maybe Southpark, but a lot of competition, even if the Neimans and Nordstrom there are at best "C" level stores.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 PM

94 posts, read 248,587 times
No Saks or Whole Foods in Charlotte? Oh, no!

Good lord people. There are greater tragedies in life.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 PM

468 posts, read 790,526 times
The reason probably is because Neimans and Nordstroms are all the market can Handle. While most Neimans are over 100,000 square feet Charlotte has the smallest one. The Demand Is just not there yet. Give it sometime there will be more options in the future for those who enjoy luxury Shopping..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte