Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to why Ft Mill SC o Indian Land SC is so much less expensive? than lets say Union County NC? and to get a house that size for that price WOW...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 07:49 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,245 times
When you refer to the school system being one of the best in South Carolina I am assuming you are speaking of the Fort Mill School District which is true (in fact it has also gained national attention as well).

But LEGACY PARK is not in Fort Mill...it is located in Indian Land. Children in Indian Land attend schools in Indian Land (which is part of Lancaster County School District). Also Indian Land is within Lancaster County (I only mention as taxes will be different as well). The only thing that Indian Land shares with a part of Fort Mill is the same zip code....29715)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsky88 View Post
I just moved from NJ to Legacy Park last year. There are two parts to Legacy Park. The DR Horton side and the Parker Orleans Estate side. You want the Parker Orleans Estates. There are currently four homes over 3500sf for sale and they are all between 279 to 299k. Much nicer homes than the DR Horton homes.

The school system is one of the best in South Carolina. If you read up in the Fort Mill Times, the school was just ranked top in the state as well as their athletic program is excellent. They are top seeded in most sports for the state.

As for the basements, you won't see many if any. You will get a bonus third floor instead. IMO, you're better off with a third floor than a basement. Less water problems.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 AM

240 posts, read 1,033,342 times
I think that Fort Mill has parts to it that are similarly priced to Union County (specifically the Waxhaw/Weddington/Marvin areas). The area around Baxter seems to be a higher priced area of Fort Mill. But you can go into older parts of the town (near Carowinds amusement park, for example) and wind up paying a lot less due to the location within the town. I think that holds true for Union County as well. You can probably get a 3500 sq ft house in Indian Trail, Stallings, or Monroe for much less than a similarly priced house in Marvin, Weddington, or Waxhaw. Not that the other areas aren't perfectly fine, but they might be less convenient to work areas, have less conveniences nearby (shopping, restaurants, etc), etc.

Indian Land is very rural, and there's not much around there that I've seen besides smaller homes and older shopping. It might be more difficult to command a high price for a home when the surrounding area doesn't really support it. It's much different than Waxhaw, Marvin, and Weddington, where 400k+ home communities are sprouting up everywhere I don't think it's a bad area. It's just very rural and less convenient to day-to-day things.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:56 AM

Now before I get blasted for what I am about to say...know that I am saying this in total jest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Just curious as to why Ft Mill SC o Indian Land SC is so much less expensive? than lets say Union County NC? and to get a house that size for that price WOW...
Because all you folks from the East Coast gravitated to the Union County area and raised the prices.

...and of course me being a west coast transplant..I too..have contributed to the rise in my area.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 AM

It is true...depending on where you are located in Fort Mill the prices will vary some. I think if you were to look into the area you will find that Fort Mill, SC commands a higher price than say Indian Land. And I think that is for two 2 reasons...one being the schools in Fort Mill are excellent...and as seahawks has stated Indian Land is a little more rural and has just recently been discovered by the developers. But you watch...Indiand Land's location will become the next hot ticket...due to its location between the Ballantyne area and the Del Webb community (I have lived long enough to see what the Del Webb communities have done to other parts of the country).

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks80 View Post
I think that Fort Mill has parts to it that are similarly priced to Union County (specifically the Waxhaw/Weddington/Marvin areas). The area around Baxter seems to be a higher priced area of Fort Mill. But you can go into older parts of the town (near Carowinds amusement park, for example) and wind up paying a lot less due to the location within the town. I think that holds true for Union County as well. You can probably get a 3500 sq ft house in Indian Trail, Stallings, or Monroe for much less than a similarly priced house in Marvin, Weddington, or Waxhaw. Not that the other areas aren't perfectly fine, but they might be less convenient to work areas, have less conveniences nearby (shopping, restaurants, etc), etc.

Indian Land is very rural, and there's not much around there that I've seen besides smaller homes and older shopping. It might be more difficult to command a high price for a home when the surrounding area doesn't really support it. It's much different than Waxhaw, Marvin, and Weddington, where 400k+ home communities are sprouting up everywhere I don't think it's a bad area. It's just very rural and less convenient to day-to-day things.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,674 times
Default Perspective on Indian Land, SC

To give you some perspective...My parents live in Marvin, NC. My nephews live in Legacy Park in Indian Land, SC. They frequently walk or ride bikes to visit my parents. You can literally toss a rock over the state line from Marvin and be in Indian Land, SC (Shelley Mullis Road travels between Highway 521 in Indian Land, SC and connects with Waxhaw-Marvin Rd in Marvin, NC.)

One of the main differences between the Union County, NC, side of the state line and the Indian Land, SC, side of the state line is that there is a major four-lane divided highway running through Indian Land. Indian Land has been more open to commercial/industrial development than the Marvin/Weddington side of the line. The spillover from Marvin and Ballantyne is just beginning in Indian Land. I think this area will soon also explode with development.

One thing that I know frustrates the folks in Indian Land is that they are in the "panhandle" area of Lancaster County. If you could look at the county map, you will see that Indian Land, SC is just a little strip of Lancaster County wedged in between Union County, NC and York County, SC. That part of Lancaster County, SC is experiencing the fastest development. The rest of Lancaster County, SC is still very rural. I know they are experiencing some of the same frustrations that Western Union County has with local government not understanding their needs because they are so far away from the government center of the county. For so long our areas were considered "boonies" and so local government pretty much ignored us. When the boom started, it was hard to get anyone to listen until we were overwhelmed with growth. Indian Land is now pretty much where Marvin was about 5-6 years ago, only with better transportation access and more commercial.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post

Because all you folks from the East Coast gravitated to the Union County area and raised the prices.

...and of course me being a west coast transplant..I too..have contributed to the rise in my area.

Shame on you and I thought it was all these Floridians........

Old 04-18-2007, 09:56 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
To give you some perspective...My parents live in Marvin, NC. My nephews live in Legacy Park in Indian Land, SC. They frequently walk or ride bikes to visit my parents. You can literally toss a rock over the state line from Marvin and be in Indian Land, SC (Shelley Mullis Road travels between Highway 521 in Indian Land, SC and connects with Waxhaw-Marvin Rd in Marvin, NC.)

One of the main differences between the Union County, NC, side of the state line and the Indian Land, SC, side of the state line is that there is a major four-lane divided highway running through Indian Land. Indian Land has been more open to commercial/industrial development than the Marvin/Weddington side of the line. The spillover from Marvin and Ballantyne is just beginning in Indian Land. I think this area will soon also explode with development.

One thing that I know frustrates the folks in Indian Land is that they are in the "panhandle" area of Lancaster County. If you could look at the county map, you will see that Indian Land, SC is just a little strip of Lancaster County wedged in between Union County, NC and York County, SC. That part of Lancaster County, SC is experiencing the fastest development. The rest of Lancaster County, SC is still very rural. I know they are experiencing some of the same frustrations that Western Union County has with local government not understanding their needs because they are so far away from the government center of the county. For so long our areas were considered "boonies" and so local government pretty much ignored us. When the boom started, it was hard to get anyone to listen until we were overwhelmed with growth. Indian Land is now pretty much where Marvin was about 5-6 years ago, only with better transportation access and more commercial.
About a year ago I noted the same thing about Indian Land being the "next big thing" and looks like I was right I just hope local government will learn by what it has seen happening in Union county and do a better job of reining in the developers. What is needed is restrained growth, which might need to come in the form of occasional moratoriums on new homes going up. I'm not saying stop developers, just restrain them a bit to let schools and infrastructure catch up. If they could accomplish that they would make Indian Land even more desirable to folks by maintaining a great quality of life. I personally hope it retains its rural charm, like Waxhaw has done.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,674 times
Default Planning for the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I just hope local government will learn by what it has seen happening in Union county and do a better job of reining in the developers. What is needed is restrained growth, which might need to come in the form of occasional moratoriums on new homes going up. I'm not saying stop developers, just restrain them a bit to let schools and infrastructure catch up. If they could accomplish that they would make Indian Land even more desirable to folks by maintaining a great quality of life. I personally hope it retains its rural charm, like Waxhaw has done.
Hindsight is 20/20, they say. Unfortunately, it is hard to have that sort of vision when you've not experienced anything like this before. Also, nothing is ever so simple as you might think.

My first reaction when the first wave hit was, whoa, stop, let us catch up! But, the zoning was not in place to receive the housing boom and once the door was open, it was hard to stop the flood. By the time you figure out the zoning/infrastructure plan, it is too late to implement it. It is a constant game of catch-up. All the while the newest wave of transplants is complaining about why you don't have your ducks in a row. Heck, our boat's got a hole in it and more people keep piling in...if you're gonna jump in the boat, then you're gonna have to help us bale water or row!

And, if you put a freeze on building, then the builders and developers and landscapers are all out of work. Plus, the landowners who were depending on their property as an investment (think older folks expecting to use money from the sell of their property to take care of them in their old age) freak out about others trying to take away their investment/security.

It's a complicated thing to find a solution that doesn't allienate someone. It takes open minds and reason. But, you'll find everyone gets "protective" of their particular concern...and in my opinion, the loudest voice wins.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:28 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Hindsight is 20/20, they say. Unfortunately, it is hard to have that sort of vision when you've not experienced anything like this before. Also, nothing is ever so simple as you might think.

My first reaction when the first wave hit was, whoa, stop, let us catch up! But, the zoning was not in place to receive the housing boom and once the door was open, it was hard to stop the flood. By the time you figure out the zoning/infrastructure plan, it is too late to implement it. It is a constant game of catch-up. All the while the newest wave of transplants is complaining about why you don't have your ducks in a row. Heck, our boat's got a hole in it and more people keep piling in...if you're gonna jump in the boat, then you're gonna have to help us bale water or row!

And, if you put a freeze on building, then the builders and developers and landscapers are all out of work. Plus, the landowners who were depending on their property as an investment (think older folks expecting to use money from the sell of their property to take care of them in their old age) freak out about others trying to take away their investment/security.

It's a complicated thing to find a solution that doesn't allienate someone. It takes open minds and reason. But, you'll find everyone gets "protective" of their particular concern...and in my opinion, the loudest voice wins.
I LOVE that visual marvinnative! If you're gonna jump in the boat, you're gonna have to help bale water or row!!!

I so agree that Union county was definitely caught off gaurd by all the explosion in growth. It IS a very complicated issue. I am not anti-growth at all, just for restrained, smart growth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte