Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:44 PM

29 posts, read 56,037 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
I wanted bump his discussion. My wife and I just moved to Ballantyne from NJ. We are renting for 6 months and hen deciding where to buy. This thread is a number of years old. Is Legacy Park still a good place to buy/live? We don't have kids so schools are not a huge issue for us, but because of Legacy Parks location do the kids go to Marvin Ridge or Indian Land school system? Are the still building in Legacy Park? How are the ammenities? Would a couple without any kids have trouble meeting people, well, because we don't have any kids?

I would sincerely appreciate any an all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 07:47 PM

8 posts, read 18,501 times
If you are looking for new construction and basements look at Massey in Fort Mill. It is a Ryan Homes community and they have several basement lots available. It's a beautiful neighborhood and has Fort Mill schools, including a brand new elementary school to open in the fall that will eventually be connected to the neighborhood.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 PM

I was responding to the old thread before reading your bump. Personally we love in Fort Mill and do not have kids yet. I think you will find many other couples like yourself.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:13 PM

The only concern I have about Massey is that it might be too far out there. I'll be working from home, but would be concerned about my wife's commute.

I am a on the fence about new construction vs. existing. So maybe something in an established neighborhood like Legacy Park near the NC/SC border within close distance to 521 and easy access to Ballantyne.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortmillfamily View Post
I was responding to the old thread before reading your bump. Personally we love in Fort Mill and do not have kids yet. I think you will find many other couples like yourself.
And thanks for reaffirming that. We are 2 very fun, active adults who love kids but just don't have any of our own.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darook View Post
Hey All,
I wanted bump his discussion. My wife and I just moved to Ballantyne from NJ. We are renting for 6 months and hen deciding where to buy. This thread is a number of years old. Is Legacy Park still a good place to buy/live? We don't have kids so schools are not a huge issue for us, but because of Legacy Parks location do the kids go to Marvin Ridge or Indian Land school system? Are the still building in Legacy Park? How are the ammenities? Would a couple without any kids have trouble meeting people, well, because we don't have any kids?

I would sincerely appreciate any an all feedback.
Legacy park is in SC and is zoned for Indian land schools. I love the Indian land schools. It's a nice community but with small lots and so many similar looking homes.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,740 times
Legacy Park is a nice, family friendly area but I would think that a young couple with no children might enjoy Ballantyne more. My husband and I have lived in Ballantyne nearly ten years and the area's growth has been phenomenal. There is much more to do and there are many more conveniences. Also, you may find the resale to be better.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:45 AM

115 posts, read 229,072 times
darook - I failed to read your post, I went way back to the OP, - I need to watch the post dates. LOL. - So, this post won't be relevant to you. I hope it is useful to someone. One thing darook, since you have no children, IMO, the closer to Ballantyne the better. Best of luck making your decision.

And here is my irrelevant post:

The best advice I can give you is to rent for a year. Yes, moving 2x is not fun, but it beats making a bad decision that you will have to live with for many years. We moved from up North and I am so glad that we did rent. We did not purchase in the area we rented in. We learned so much during the year we rented - you don't know a place until you live there for a while. Are you also considering NC, or definitely moving to SC? Union Co. is a nice place to live, too. Schools - we have friends in the Fort Mill district, Tega Cay (Clover) district and Indian Land district. They all seem happy. We live in Union Co., NC and the Union Co. School Board is currently involved in a war with the residents over redistricting-- because the area grew rapidly and several schools are at capacity. Baggleflap mentioned above that Ft. Mill schools are overcrowded too. So, even if you buy in a particular school district, you are not exempt from being redistricted. It really stinks, but it's a fact Have you visited the area yet? You should visit - more than once. You can (and should) do as much research as you can, but there is nothing like seeing an area with your own two eyes. Getting the lay of the land. Something I like a lot about Indian Land - you are just down the road from Ballantyne, NC. You will find almost everything you want in this area, but not pay the Ballantyne taxes.

Last edited by Maggiemovingtocharlotte1; 02-02-2014 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Irrelevant response!

Old 02-02-2014, 01:26 PM

625 posts, read 488,519 times
We bought a house with a basement in Fallbrook. Its a part of Regal Manor. The homes are built by True Homes- not super high end but also not the bottom either (we're getting granite countertops, ceramic tile floor- not all builders include that). They have a few basement lots available in Fallbrook on Fischer Road.

I work in Ballantyne, Fallbrook is about 15 minutes from Ballantyne. I believe that Ballmoral, which is also part of Regal Manor, has basement lots left as well. There's also a pre-built houses with a basement in Stanton Heights - they are they nicest homes in Regal Manor - all brick, high end construction, and there are basement lots left there as well.

There's a clubhouse with 3 pools and walking trails nearby. The Anne Close Springs Greenway is down the road and the Anne Close Rec Center is nearby as well (that's where my husband and son are right now going for an afternoon swim in the indoor pool).

The best thing you can do is meet with builders and see the different locations.

I did a lot of driving around when I came down here for work and went to some neighborhoods in Indian Land and others in Fort Mill. Coming from a long commute in NJ we didn't want to do the same thing again if we could avoid it here which is why we chose Fort Mill and Fallbrook. Regal Manor is on the border of Indian Land and Pineville, NC. Just another option to look at.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 PM

The new southern bypass will be close to Massey and will cut down on the time to 77. I like Fallbrook but I believe it is built-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte