Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavoski View Post
La Plaza, in so. calif, best ever.
Yea, and the La Fiesta in Mexico City is great to. Oh what! This is a Charlotte thread? And you don't care about the Mexican restaurants in So. Calif or Mexico City ? Well, excuuuuuussse me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
Good advice, there is NO place in Charlotte that delivers true, authentic and palatable Mexican food.
Compare Foods is a huge grocery store that boost a lot of the ingredients used in Latin cuisine, including Mexican.

PS: Cabo Fish Taco is horrid, been there once -although years ago- and my fiancee got sick, and the food I thought was way overrated.

You say that there is "no" place in Charlotte that delivers true, authentic and palatable Mexican food. In this thread, there are plenty of positive comments about really good Mexican restaurants. Do you feel Mexicans that have restaurants and prepare Mexican food in Charlotte have different cooking skills than the Mexicans that prepare food in other cities? Do the Mexicans in Charlotte have different cookbooks or are their mothers terrible cooks and failures at teaching traditional cooking, or could they just be lousy cooks in the part of Mexico from where they come. Could they possibly cook bad Mexican food in Charlotte to keep us from emmigrating to Mexico? I am just really surprised that there are "no" good Mexican places in town. Guess I will have to eat Italian. Woops! forgot. They say there's no good Italian restaurants in town either. I guess it's pizza. No wait, bad too. Thank god for credible food critics around.

Last edited by vindaloo; 05-14-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 04:46 PM

140 posts, read 323,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
You say that there is "no" place in Charlotte that delivers true, authentic and palatable Mexican food. In this thread, there are plenty of positive comments about really good Mexican restaurants. Do you feel Mexicans that have restaurants and prepare Mexican food in Charlotte have different cooking skills than the Mexicans that prepare food in other cities? Do the Mexicans in Charlotte have different cookbooks or are their mothers terrible cooks and failures at teaching traditional cooking, or could they just be lousy cooks in the part of Mexico from where they come. Could they possibly cook bad Mexican food in Charlotte to keep us from emmigrating to Mexico? I am just really surprised that there are "no" good Mexican places in town. Guess I will have to eat Italian. Woops! forgot. They say there's no good Italian restaurants in town either. I guess it's pizza. No wait, bad too. Thank god for credible food critics around.
You make very good points and in retrospect my post should have been different. You can find good "street" Mexican food around here but not the one offered at high end Mexican restaurants in Mexico and big cities worldwide. It is not a Charlotte thing either since I've found very few places that offered high quality Mexican food. I remember one I had in Miami from all places that was simply outstanding, expensive but well worth it.
The same goes for other cuisines, Argentinian, Peruvian, Colombian, you can find very decent places in the QC but not to the level you can actually find there or bigger cities in the US, since Charlotte is not ready IMO to embrace such restaurants yet.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 AM

210 posts, read 604,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
You make very good points and in retrospect my post should have been different. You can find good "street" Mexican food around here but not the one offered at high end Mexican restaurants in Mexico and big cities worldwide. It is not a Charlotte thing either since I've found very few places that offered high quality Mexican food. I remember one I had in Miami from all places that was simply outstanding, expensive but well worth it.
The same goes for other cuisines, Argentinian, Peruvian, Colombian, you can find very decent places in the QC but not to the level you can actually find there or bigger cities in the US, since Charlotte is not ready IMO to embrace such restaurants yet.
That's probably fair -- there is very good street Mexican food here -- as good as SoCal, imo, for things like tacos, tortas, etc. I would agree that there is not an outstanding higher-end Mexican place. Cantina 1511 is good but not great, and same for La Paz. I would usually rather go to La Unica or Casa de las Enchiladas than La Paz/Cantina, but I would go to a first-rate gourmet place. Rosa Mexicana in NY/Miami comes close.

There's a new place trying to hit that gourmet Mexican niche on Elizabeth -- friends gave poor early reviews so I haven't tried yet.

I would do anything for a high-end Peruvian place here -- I have rarely had a meal to equal a good Peruvian seafood place. (Since you mentioned Miami, a place like Francesca's.) We have Peruvian chicken places -- Pio Pio, and a place in Indian Trail -- but are lacking in the ceviche/amazing fresh fish area.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 AM

I guess London is just a small country town as well. I have never found a good Mexican restaurant there. The pizza there is pretty bad too. To get descent bagels, one has to go to Golder's Green in northern London. Geeezzz, London is just like Charlotte.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I guess London is just a small country town as well. I have never found a good Mexican restaurant there. The pizza there is pretty bad too. To get descent bagels, one has to go to Golder's Green in northern London. Geeezzz, London is just like Charlotte.
A lot of it is about personal preferences, not everybody likes the same types of food.

When I said I hadn't found great pizza in Charlotte yet, it's because every place I go to seems to have NY style pizza...which I don't like! I just don't like thin crust, no matter how good the rest of the pizza is!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:08 AM

444 posts, read 1,144,142 times
Seriously. Why is everyone so picky about their damn food?

Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM

140 posts, read 323,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
Seriously. Why is everyone so picky about their damn food?
Why? Because some people do appreciate the art that involves haute cuisine, and trust me you can not make the same food at home. I suggested to make your own Mexican food at home b/c although there are good street places, you can have some fun replicating them at home.

However high end restaurants offer the works of highly trained and educated chefs -FYI I'm not a chef, just enjoy cooking- that you just can not replicate.

Vindaloo, London does have some serious high end restaurants, just Nobu comes to mind, mind bottling like Will Farrell would say -that dude's hilarious- but I give you I didn't know about Mexican places, then again when I go to London I'm not precisely looking for Mexican food.

Plan PR, there is a new Peruvian restaurant in Pineville, the name is Genaro's, the same guy from Indian Trail, the chef is Peruvian-Italian, he used to be the executive chef at Mama Ricotta's way back. The restaurant has the best rotisserie chicken in town hands down -they use charcoal- you'll find it will make Pio Pio look bad, trust me.
The ceviche is outstanding as well, although I believe you can only find it during weekends and it is not on the menu. It's located off Park Road extension, close to Tin Tin right behind the Kangaroo gas station.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 AM

830 posts, read 1,531,076 times
Find food to be a great entree, no pun intended, into a culture. I think that it tells you a lot about people and their history. When we travel, we love seeking out local or unexpected cuisine, be it conch fritters in the USVI, sublime falafels in Paris, street vendors in Taipei, etc. When we're at home, trying out different restaurants gives us a small window into a culture without having to travel. Plus, we just plain like to eat!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
A lot of it is about personal preferences, not everybody likes the same types of food.

When I said I hadn't found great pizza in Charlotte yet, it's because every place I go to seems to have NY style pizza...which I don't like! I just don't like thin crust, no matter how good the rest of the pizza is!
You are absolutely right. Mexican food is different in Mexico. It is usually pretty bad as meat is not used as much as in the U.S. It is generally very bland as well. Besides, I only like TexMex. Everything else is too bland.

I agree with you about New York pizza. The pizza that New Yorkers raved about in Florida (when I lived there) and around here are really bad. Yes, it is all about personal preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte