Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times

Advertisements

I would keep in mind that (at least from what I gather), most people posting on here are white. I may be wrong, but take their "no racial problems here" with a grain of salt. Not saying anyone is racist, just saying they might not have the background to comment on it honestly. I am white and most of my white friends would not think twice about such a relationship, though I've have heard some older -- and younger -- white folks say things that made me blush. Having never been in an interracial relationship other than dating an Asian girl briefly in college, I can't really comment on what issues interracial couples might deal with here. So again, grain of salt, but I would steer clear of most of the burbs, Monroe especially, (this is just from my experiences). Racial tensions high there. University City is probably the most diverse part of town and you can find a nice house there relatively cheap. But it is very spread out and has some traffic problems. Uptown is yuppie but I don't think you would find any problems there. Dilworth probably 80 percent white, more family-oriented but also more live-and-let-live (very expensive though). Plaza-Midwood is a gentrifying area with lots of funky shops and artists, its fairly diverse, and I don't think you would have any trouble there, but it is a game of good-block, bad-block a lot of the time when it comes to crime there. Ballantyne is overwhelmingly white and more conservative as is most of south charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:43 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Bottom line, from my personal observation, the areas where people are more educated and more exposed to diversity tend to be where interracial couples get along the best.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeSzyslak View Post
You'll have few problems in Charlotte. Most of the black guys will have white girls in 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!

What????

ANYWAY....You'll get along fine in Steele Creek. There are many interracial couples in our neighborhood.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
Believe me. You will be noticed...

Old 05-28-2009, 05:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Geeeezzz. Coped gave good advice. So did Seapr. There are always gonna be some people who look twice and like everywhere else in this country, there are downright bigots. I think Coped nailed it when he said - go where people are educated and you will find diversity there and smoother sailing. I don't know that it is accurate to say "South Charlotte is conservative." Maybe this means - S. Charlotte is mostly white - but the truth is - there are asians, hispanics and black folks in S. Charlotte, as well as gay couples, living happily. The demographics are changing - lots of people moving in from other areas. Money is the big equalizer here. If you are a good neighbor and pleasant to be around. . . your ethnicity is not going to be an issue. If you are a jerk, people are gonna shun you regardless of ethnicity, sexual orientation or where you are from. You can drive around, do some shopping and get the feel of any area that interests you. Like an earlier poster said . . . you know the drill. People are people everywhere - some are idiots but most aren't. It's no different here.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:59 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Absolutely. This is true in any city every day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Bottom line, from my personal observation, the areas where people are more educated and more exposed to diversity tend to be where interracial couples get along the best.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I would keep in mind that (at least from what I gather), most people posting on here are white. I may be wrong, but take their "no racial problems here" with a grain of salt. Not saying anyone is racist, just saying they might not have the background to comment on it honestly.
What kind of racial statement is that? A lot of assumptions here buddy. I would recommend that you please speak for yourself and not for other gracious posters here when it comes to your unsupported gatherings.

Yes, I assume those who 'constructively' take the time to comment on this thread are, indeed, providing honest commentary based on their own experiences. And just as race should not have bearing on a person's value, being 'white' does not negate a person's ability to make constructive, productive or realistic racial commentary. Do you honestly feel that only a person of a particular group has proper knowledge and authority of subject matters directly related to their own race?

No one person here or anywhere course can ever entirely make absolute statements or assumptions about any given population, regardless of statistics. But such blanket 'grain of salt' gatherings about 'whites' only debilitates (rather than promotes) the progress of racial interaction and insults those who's experience, regardless of race, are on the positive end of a belief system.

I agree with you that education and exposure to diversity is the key to success. But that is with anything one must accept as a differing factor from the each individual's perspective on what they consider is normal for them.

However, I actually find it refreshing that more individuals here are providing positive commentary and outlook on racial coupling here in North Carolina. It may mean that a majority of our population is, indeed, progressing closer to a color blind society. A society where such a concern presented by the OP will be one never considered. As constructively subjective and individually honest your commentary may have been, Coped, your assumptions, or gatherings, quoted above are certainly not adding to such color blind aspirations.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
What kind of racial statement is that? A lot of assumptions here buddy. I would recommend that you please speak for yourself and not for other gracious posters here when it comes to your unsupported gatherings.

Yes, I assume those who 'constructively' take the time to comment on this thread are, indeed, providing honest commentary based on their own experiences. And just as race should not have bearing on a person's value, being 'white' does not negate a person's ability to make constructive, productive or realistic racial commentary.
Of course it doesn't but I really don't understand your problem with this poster's statement. Everyone views life through their own lens based on their experiences. If you were in an interracial relationship, you might view events in a different way. Doesn't make your way wrong of my way right, it's just different. Why would one think that make one more valid. Advice from someone with a similar lens might be more insightfull. Might.

Perfect example. I have yet to see an Anglo come to this board and ask if Area XXX is welcoming to White people. Or a straight person ask is Area XXX a good place for heterosexual families. I would assume that the question doesn't occur to them. So their answer may be colored by that experience or lack of. Different lens.

I get that you would like a color blind society, but the poster asked the question and so far, everyone is giving their honest opinion. I'm not sure how that undermines race relations.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Of course it doesn't but I really don't understand your problem with this poster's statement. Everyone views life through their own lens based on their experiences. If you were in an interracial relationship, you might view events in a different way. Doesn't make your way wrong of my way right, it's just different. Why would one think that make one more valid. Advice from someone with a similar lens might be more insightfull. Might.

I would even argue that getting well constructed advice from a white person might be better than from an interracial couple. Figure it this way: they're the ones who know what's being said behind people's backs that they don't have the guts to say in person. I'd value that a lot more in that instance.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I would even argue that getting well constructed advice from a white person might be better than from an interracial couple. Figure it this way: they're the ones who know what's being said behind people's backs that they don't have the guts to say in person. I'd value that a lot more in that instance.
That might be true if the person felt comfortable about being openly bigoted. Otherwise, someone with a similar lens might be more in tune to the type of nuances that the op would be aware of. IE: Staring, pointing, double take, etc... I'm not dismissing anyone's opinion. They all matter. But as in your example, we all bring different dishes to the buffet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte