Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times

Advertisements

We moved to the Carolina's a little over 3 years ago from L.A. County (and have never looked back..not even once). We are just across the stateline in Tega Cay, SC (outside of Charlotte, NC - Fort Mill, SC area). My thought is...if you come out and visit in July and like it...might as well pack the rest of your bags..cause your going to love it here the other 11 months of the year.

Best to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by la2nc View Post
Hello,

I am thinking of relocating to Charlotte from Los Angeles. My husband loves it there but I have never been. We are planning to come and visit in July. I dont want anything too rural. He loves Mint Hill. Are there any other neighborhoods you can suggest for us? Wanting to spend up to $400k for a house. We have a 5 year old daughter so good schools are a must. Private vs public is a decision that I am very worried about. She attends private school now because LAUSD is so bad but if I could find a good public school that would be ideal. A diverse school is also important to us. I am a litigation paralegal so I figure that all these jobs are probably Uptown. Your suggestions are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
WONDERFUL place to live! The best schools in MY opinion (I am sure I will get flack for saying that but as a teacher and school counselor I think I have a leg to stand on).

I wanted to live in Charlotte. I am a city girl. DH talked me into moving to Marvin which I thought was "in the middle of nowhere." Well, it took all of 18 months for the city to literally come to me. it is still not "city", but much more so than when we moved in. And Ballantyne area is only a few miles away with lots of shopping, eating, etc....

It is an excellent place for a family. My boys are 9, 7 and 3 and we have over 2 acres. They LOVE the space.

The people here are very nice. Marvinnative (on this board) lives in my neighborhood and lisaf (also here) is moving in next month! I haven't even met her but I "sold" her on our neighborhood! Guess I should be a realtor! HA!

Dawn
Thanks DawnW, awesome info. Hard to find rental's though, but will keep looking. How's Waxhaw? I see that the zip code (28173) is for both Waxhaw and Marvin. Don't understand that one.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:56 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
The reason is because Marvin does not have a post office. We use the Waxhaw post office.

It makes it hard for folks looking in areas though I know. Waxhaw land area is HUGE! I can go 20 miles and still be in Waxhaw from my house.

When you do a search for MLS take a look at the schools. If it says "Weddington" or "Marvin Ridge" then you are in the marvin area. If it says "Parkwood HS" that is in Waxhaw.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalex View Post
Thanks DawnW, awesome info. Hard to find rental's though, but will keep looking. How's Waxhaw? I see that the zip code (28173) is for both Waxhaw and Marvin. Don't understand that one.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:21 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
we are moving into Marvin/Waxhaw 28173, we bought in Hunter Oaks I cant wait to move....We choose this area because of the schools and location...good luck to you, go to www.greatschools.net
My son will be going to the new marvin ridge middle and daughter the new Rea View Elementary...instead of Marvin Elem

Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
The reason is because Marvin does not have a post office. We use the Waxhaw post office.

It makes it hard for folks looking in areas though I know. Waxhaw land area is HUGE! I can go 20 miles and still be in Waxhaw from my house.

When you do a search for MLS take a look at the schools. If it says "Weddington" or "Marvin Ridge" then you are in the marvin area. If it says "Parkwood HS" that is in Waxhaw.

Dawn
This threw us for a loop too- we physically are in Wesley Chapel but have a Waxhaw address. To even make it more confusing our neighbors in Blackstone have a Matthews address- of course I'm trying to figure out how the town lines work- it didn't and it's just a place to deliver the mail

Old 04-10-2007, 10:30 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
I must say Mike that was the most confusing to us...as Hunter Oaks is Waxhaw mailing however alot closer to Marvin, and everytime we looking somewhere else it had a different mailing address....when one is looking into areas it gets awfully confusing

Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
I must say Mike that was the most confusing to us...as Hunter Oaks is Waxhaw mailing however alot closer to Marvin, and everytime we looking somewhere else it had a different mailing address....when one is looking into areas it gets awfully confusing
Agreed- I stopped telling people were are in Waxhaw, which really is a good 5 mile drive. The actual PO is a good 10 miles out-lol. So I expect to be "assimilated" into Wesley Chapel at some point (which we were told could happen way before we moved in).

No worries, as long as my blockbuster dvds by mail finds us!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,503 times
Wow, who's on first? I understand and thank you all for the information. It has been very helpful. It's so true what they say about the people from NC, "Very Friendly and Helpful". "lovethecarolinas" I think your move from LA to NC will be good. I've done a lot of research online, but talking with folks from the area will make a true difference.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,497 times
Red face Huntersville

If you are going to have to commute u/t, I wouldn't consider going any further north than exit 23 in Huntersville. Rosedale is a nice community built by Centex, under your price range with 3000 sq. ft. homes. The schools are good but crowded. I've heard very good things about Torrence Elementary from parents in our community but it's also going to be the largest school in NC next year, how I understand it. There is a private school around the corner, I think it's called St. Mark's. I don't know much about it, other than it's there.

I'm also going to be looking for jobs u/t. I've been a litigation secretary for many years and I'm currently going to college to be a paralegal. I've heard that we will probably have issues about not having NC experience. I had NC experience many years ago but I don't remember it and it's probably going to be a problem. Some recommendations that I've heard is to get your notary and get involved with the local paralegal association. There also are not a lot of ads in the local paper for legal positions, so you may have to be flexible and try to find the untapped market. I've never personally had good luck with headhunters but will probably have to try that route. I know a girl in our neighborhood that was a paralegal and ended up in another field because she had a hard time finding a job. I don't believe attorneys will bother with an out-of-state applicant because there are so many here.

I hope you find what you're looking for and good luck!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:49 AM
flh

11 posts, read 29,213 times
Default Thinking of moving to Charlotte

Hello,

we have several areas here in Charlotte that will appeal to you. Also, consider living in South Carolina. You will have excellent access to CLT Uptown through I-77, I-485, 521, etc. Property taxes are much lower there, and people are raving about the quality of the Fort Mill public schools. Let me know if you need more info.
Regards,
Frans

Quote:
Originally Posted by la2nc View Post
Hello,

I am thinking of relocating to Charlotte from Los Angeles. My husband loves it there but I have never been. We are planning to come and visit in July. I dont want anything too rural. He loves Mint Hill. Are there any other neighborhoods you can suggest for us? Wanting to spend up to $400k for a house. We have a 5 year old daughter so good schools are a must. Private vs public is a decision that I am very worried about. She attends private school now because LAUSD is so bad but if I could find a good public school that would be ideal. A diverse school is also important to us. I am a litigation paralegal so I figure that all these jobs are probably Uptown. Your suggestions are much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte