Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:33 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what kind of "Class" they would offer you to reduce the fine or dismiss the car seat class.

I say chalk it up to a lesson learned. A lawyer will probably cost more to fight those charges that the ticket itself.

I am still confused about how you looked out of place in a 200K neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:45 PM

68 posts, read 163,505 times
No I don't know what you are sayin. Why are we making it more than what it is. I just ask will they give me a class or would I be better off paying for the seat belt tickets and go to court for the tag.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:59 PM

68 posts, read 163,505 times
I'm just going off what the officer told me. 200k was just a range price I gave the community. The lowest house price I saw was 265k. I'm very sure that their are some houses close to four thousand. Look, I thank everybody for there comments all was helpful, I do now pay more attention to my kids when the are in the backseat. Like I said they was strapped up at first, but I'm not upset. I just wanted to see if their was something can be done about it. Should I pay for the ticket or should i go to court and they will offer me a class

Old 08-09-2009, 05:42 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout007 View Post
...... I just wanted to see if their was something can be done about it. Should I pay for the ticket or should i go to court and they will offer me a class
Sure you can do something about it. The cop is not the judge, he is the accuser. You can always go to court and plead your case in front of a judge as he is the one that is responsible for the decision.

You might get off on the tag. You probably won't get off on the child seat charge. Everyone that gets caught not taking responsibility for their children will say the same thing,... "oh I didn't know". Judge has probably heard this a million times. This isn't the fault of the person who called 911, this isn't the fault of the children, this isn't the fault of the police. You have suggested this in this topic. If you tell this to a judge I would expect that you might get a similar lecture if not worse. In any case, they are not going to offer traffic school for expired tags and unbuckled children.

The silver lining here is that if you are now paying more attention to your children then you got a bargain. Best that you found out from a police fine, rather than after an car accident. Those seats are there for a purpose and you really don't want to learn to use them after your kids have been thrown through the window of your car and are laying mangled on the ground. I recommend a visit an orthopaedic rehab waiting room to see the people there who didn't think their belts were important

Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
That Totally tells you everything you need to know about that neighborhood dude!
Look at the $600 loss as a short term investment. I hope you find a better place and for
good sake, use the child restraints when driving.

Last edited by ClevelandMike; 08-09-2009 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: need to add more

Old 08-09-2009, 04:02 PM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
I think the fact that you are railing about someone calling the police on you for "racist" views is a cop out (pardon the pun). The bottom line is that YOU are responsible for your children ALONE and the reason the officer stopped you in the first place has nothing to do with it. Please stop looking to play the race card on this one. He didn't ticket you because of appearance, except the appearance of your children out of their car seat.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
SunnyKayak, Why wouldn't it be better to delete it all and DM me with your decision? Posting an innocuous comment regarding my post can also be misconstrued.

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Appearance is everything when that's the only thing someone has to go on. I'd have called the cops too if I saw someone that #1 didn't live there and #2 looked out of place--I'll let you figure out what "out of place" means.

And on the car seat issue...come on...seriously? You didn't know they had gotten out? Speaking from someone who's brand new to this car seat game, I can tell you everything that's going on in the backseat when my kid is back there...let alone the click and struggle of wiggling out of a properly fastened car seat by a little kid.

You would call the cops for seeing a car that "looks out of place" in a neighborhood??? We do still live in a free country I thought.... pathetic that someone would call the police for seeing an unknown person if you ask me.

The fact the cop gave you those tickets is truly disheartening. He had no right to pull you over in the first place. I would plead innocent to all of those tickets and go to court. Explain that the cop had no reason to pull you over and that it was only after-the-fact that the cop saw no seat belts. The cop had no way of knowing if the seat belts were fastened as you were driving, for all he knew they could have been worn when you were moving. Please fight this case. Also, are these cases common in Charlotte? I am looking to possibly move to Charlotte but these sort of stories really paint a bleak picture. When I visited there everyone was nice, however I did not have run-ins with law enforcement.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Your points are completely illogical IMHO. The cop has every right to stop someone if they have reason to question them. It's the price we all pay for vigilant neighborhoods. People often complain that neighbors don't care; this one did, and the police did their job well. If vigilant neighbors paints a "bleak" picture to you, what about stories of neighborhoods were people look the other way, only to find out later that a crime took place.

The reasoning of your point about the stop being bogus and thus so are the tickets? That's a weaselly way out and not based in law. Simply a way to try to beat the rap when one is admittedly guilty.

I, for one, am much more concerned about the safety of his children in this case rather than the perceived "slight" of being harassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
You would call the cops for seeing a car that "looks out of place" in a neighborhood??? We do still live in a free country I thought.... pathetic that someone would call the police for seeing an unknown person if you ask me.

The fact the cop gave you those tickets is truly disheartening. He had no right to pull you over in the first place. I would plead innocent to all of those tickets and go to court. Explain that the cop had no reason to pull you over and that it was only after-the-fact that the cop saw no seat belts. The cop had no way of knowing if the seat belts were fastened as you were driving, for all he knew they could have been worn when you were moving. Please fight this case. Also, are these cases common in Charlotte? I am looking to possibly move to Charlotte but these sort of stories really paint a bleak picture. When I visited there everyone was nice, however I did not have run-ins with law enforcement.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:03 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Your points are completely illogical IMHO. The cop has every right to stop someone if they have reason to question them. It's the price we all pay for vigilant neighborhoods. People often complain that neighbors don't care; this one did, and the police did their job well. If vigilant neighbors paints a "bleak" picture to you, what about stories of neighborhoods were people look the other way, only to find out later that a crime took place.

The reasoning of your point about the stop being bogus and thus so are the tickets? That's a weaselly way out and not based in law. Simply a way to try to beat the rap when one is admittedly guilty.

I, for one, am much more concerned about the safety of his children in this case rather than the perceived "slight" of being harassed.
lowercountry You are arguing "against" the grain here. We are suffering from the overcrowded conditions, taxes are on the way up and there's no ceiling in sight. Why would you try to reason with someone who has talked themselves out of moving here because our laws are archaic and our police are unreasonable. Leave it alone, agree with them and hopefully they won't move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte