Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:38 AM

68 posts, read 163,567 times

Advertisements

Well I was driving around trying to find a home for my family and the location was a place were homes was around 200k and more. Well, the people in the community called the police on us saying that we look suspect. They describe my car and said that there was people riding up and down the street looking to break into a home. The people in the car was me, my wife and three kids from age seven and younger. First of all, we rode down each street one time and never returned back. While existing out of the community a police car pulls up and turns his lights on. Then four other cops comes out and back him up within ten sec. He comes up and say did you just come off a certain street, I don't know the name but I told him maybe. Then he said someone called the police and said that it looks like we were trying to break into a house. It gets worse so he looks back in the my back seat and Oh no" Oh no"! You have kids in the car and they are not restrained. My kids got out of the car seat while we were looking at the homes. He stated that he has to write me up four tickets and also my tag expired a day before One day before" well I blame myself for that but he wrote me a ticket for expired tag, three tickets for not having the kids restrained in a car seat. Four tickets in all with a toal of around $610.00 This is bad I felt like I was judge because of my appearance. I know the community I was looking in was middle high class but everybody that stay in a nice neighborhood don't have to have the best cars to go with a home. My car is well put, I get the oil change and everything else before due time. But they called the police and I got a ticket for a reason that should not have came down to it. Will they throw the car seat case out? I have my new tag but how are they gonna treat the care seat case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:43 AM

310 posts, read 672,855 times
Get the sleaziest most well connected lawyer you can. There are two factors that lead me to believe you will have a hard time getting anything thrown out: This is North Carolina and they're gonna steal as much of your money over stupid crap as possible, and this is North Carolina in a recession; They're taking all the dough from you that they can get. Get a lawyer and fight this BS.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
200K = High Middle Class

Old 08-08-2009, 05:47 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,854 times
You may be able to get the tag infraction dropped if you go in with proof of renewal. The car seats are a different situation. Regardless of the reason why the police were checking your car out doesn't exclude the fact that you were breaking a law that in the eyes of many people, is very dangerous. To think it will be tossed out because that wasn't why you were stopped? Too much TV dramas. If that were the case, a cop could charge you for drug possession if you were just stopped for speeding.

You comments about being judged by your appearance is moot. You were putting your children in danger and were, in my opinion, rightfully ticketed, not matter how often your car is washed or your oil is changed.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
expired tags and no safety seat. no other issue.
nice try.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:58 PM

165 posts, read 559,616 times
I agree. It's like someone saying I didn't do anything for the cop to pull me over but when he did I got a DUI. You were breaking the law regardless of the reason. Now if he pulled you over because people thought you were going to break in and you had no law breaking issues that would be a different story.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:03 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
Get the sleaziest most well connected lawyer you can. There are two factors that lead me to believe you will have a hard time getting anything thrown out: This is North Carolina and they're gonna steal as much of your money over stupid crap as possible, and this is North Carolina in a recession; They're taking all the dough from you that they can get. Get a lawyer and fight this BS.
Care to explain exactly why having three children out of their car seats and putting them in danger is "BS" and simply an attempt to "steal as much of your money over stupid crap..."

If you believe child safety is "stupid crap" your issues with the police are deeply rooted.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 PM

68 posts, read 163,567 times
My point is this I didn't know my kids was out of the car seat. They had unstrapped themselves without me knowing. They wasn't jumping around or sitting up. They was sitting back with their strap unloose. I'm wrong about the tag, but the point is The person did under estimate my appearance. The officer even told me. I'm not a racist person, but the fact is the person had no other reason to call the police on me. I know who the person was that called. We stopped at the house doors down from the homeowner that called. She under estimated my appearance. I have every right to put the reason why I think she called. It will sound racist if I said they called because the color of my skin. But I don't think my skin had anything to do with it or maybe it did, I don't know so I tried to look at it like maybe it was my car. I do deserve the right to have a ticket, I should have payed more attention to my kids, but my point is will they offer me a class or should I just pay because theirs no other way out.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 PM

165 posts, read 559,616 times
You didn't know three of your kids had unbuckled their car seats?!?! Anyway, Its still your responsibility. No one elses. And if you don't wan't people all up in your business... Don't move here. Nosey Parker central, know what I am sayin?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:26 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
Appearance is everything when that's the only thing someone has to go on. I'd have called the cops too if I saw someone that #1 didn't live there and #2 looked out of place--I'll let you figure out what "out of place" means.

And on the car seat issue...come on...seriously? You didn't know they had gotten out? Speaking from someone who's brand new to this car seat game, I can tell you everything that's going on in the backseat when my kid is back there...let alone the click and struggle of wiggling out of a properly fastened car seat by a little kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte