Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
wave the conservative flag for this man!!!
Are you sure it's a man? Ann Coulter, S.E. Cupp, et al have inspired a whole crowd of women to go down this path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 01:44 PM

125 posts, read 243,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiscal conservative View Post
I'm on the side of the guy complaining about the homeless and the pesky bums. I feel no pity for them. The life they portray is a CHOICE. They CHOOSE to live that lifestyle. There are so many businesses in need of labor, but they CHOOSE to live off of the heartstrings of the public by either begging, or abusing every handout program there is. From snap, to welfare, to plain ole panhandling, they ( when you total the benefits) can live like a person who works making 30k a year. It actually discourages them from getting a real job. Why work when you can get all these free benefits ( paid for by my hard earned tax dollars).. I say boot them away, and cut them off....
Ignorance at its best. What about the diabetic who has to make a choice between paying for her medical expenses or having a roof over her head? Or how about the med school student who is put on the streets because he is up to the brim in college debt but can't find an employer?

Sure there are individuals that are homeless because of self inflicted abuse of substance, but you can not put a blanket over every single person that has run into hard times. Oh and the always redundant stanch conservative wining about your tax dollar persona.... you live in a country that requires you to pay taxes, if you don't agree with it don't be a part of it and leave the country. If my tax dollars can go to saving the life of someone in need than I am all for it. Besides I have a bigger problem with the billions we spend in the dead end wars we start.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
I've worked with mentally ill people for 30 years. Every single schizophrenic I have ever known wanted a job. Every one.

People who bang on the "Homeless people choose it" drum often do that so they can feel superior and "safe" from ever having mental health problems themselves.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:15 PM

284 posts, read 605,997 times
As a guy who is on the somewhat conservative side, I cannot stand people like that because then people on the other side of the equation assume all conservatives think this way. The fact that he chose that screen name and those were his first posts tells me he is likely just a troll trying to rile people up and wanted to act like conservatives feel that way. Looks like it worked, unfortunately.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiscal conservative View Post
I'm on the side of the guy complaining about the homeless and the pesky bums. I feel no pity for them. The life they portray is a CHOICE. They CHOOSE to live that lifestyle. There are so many businesses in need of labor, but they CHOOSE to live off of the heartstrings of the public by either begging, or abusing every handout program there is. From snap, to welfare, to plain ole panhandling, they ( when you total the benefits) can live like a person who works making 30k a year. It actually discourages them from getting a real job. Why work when you can get all these free benefits ( paid for by my hard earned tax dollars).. I say boot them away, and cut them off....
Well. . .you know what they say about karma.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I've worked with mentally ill people for 30 years. Every single schizophrenic I have ever known wanted a job. Every one.

People who bang on the "Homeless people choose it" drum often do that so they can feel superior and "safe" from ever having mental health problems themselves.
Yes. Mental health is the root of most of this. The irony is that cost cutting for mental health services has at least in part caused the homeless problem we have today. Of course, it wasn't any better for the mentally ill when we locked them away in asylums to be ignored and abused. It's a tough, tough problem.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Yes. Mental health is the root of most of this. The irony is that cost cutting for mental health services has at least in part caused the homeless problem we have today. Of course, it wasn't any better for the mentally ill when we locked them away in asylums to be ignored and abused. It's a tough, tough problem.
Who you tellin! We try but it's extremely hard work. One thing I can say without hesitation: mental illness is not a choice.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:50 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,751 times
How many of us, or those among us, are one TBI, one paycheck or one "life-event" away from the circumstances many of the homeless find themselves in? It's a multi-faceted problem - like cancer, there is no "one" cure and everyone is at risk of having it "happen" to them. However, there is no need to rush headlong towards either through poor choices as many appear to have done.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
How many of us, or those among us, are one TBI, one paycheck or one "life-event" away from the circumstances many of the homeless find themselves in? It's a multi-faceted problem - like cancer, there is no "one" cure and everyone is at risk of having it "happen" to them. However, there is no need to rush headlong towards either through poor choices as many appear to have done.

Well said.

Let me be clear. Much of my work, even with people who have no insight at all, has been to help people see their options. I am the first one to ask "What can you do to make this better?" I will never stop thinking that people always want to do better.

Everybody makes poor choices. The trick is to learn. It's harder when a major mental illness is part of the problem.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post

Well said.

Let me be clear. Much of my work, even with people who have no insight at all, has been to help people see their options. I am the first one to ask "What can you do to make this better?" I will never stop thinking that people always want to do better.

Everybody makes poor choices. The trick is to learn. It's harder when a major mental illness is part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte