Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Counting the days, lol!!!
Is the northern influence in Charlotte a bad thing? In my opinion, they have made Charlotte what it is. I hope the influx continues because it will only make things better. Without the northern influence, Charlotte would still be on the level of say Birmingham.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:04 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Is the northern influence in Charlotte a bad thing? In my opinion, they have made Charlotte what it is. I hope the influx continues because it will only make things better. Without the northern influence, Charlotte would still be on the level of say Birmingham.

mmmkay. thanks for your generosity. as a mostly backwood country yokel idiot I sure do appreciate you yankees seeing it fit to come down here to tame the natives.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
mmmkay. thanks for your generosity. as a mostly backwood country yokel idiot I sure do appreciate you yankees seeing it fit to come down here to tame the natives.
I don't appreciate being called a yankee as that is disrespectful. Same as if I called you a redneck or hillbilly. I happen to think the mixture of northern and southern culture in Charlotte is a good thing. You get the best of both worlds. If you don't like it, move somewhere like Morganton...a town stuck in 1950 where you won't have to worry about northerners, racial/ethnic diversity, religious diversity, entertainment options, etc.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:33 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
I couldn't care less what you call me. PC sensibilities never really appealed to this hillbilly redneck.

But thanks again for your permission to leave if I so desire. I'll add that to the list of yankee platitudes that I feel so grateful for.

Civilization? check
Entertainment? check
Diversity? check
Religion? check
Culture? check
Permission to leave the plantation? check

Old 10-15-2009, 02:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
This is a county municipality map that shows what the city limits looked like in 2001. There have been several annexations since those days. However what is more interesting is the "Sphere of Influence". The 7 city governments in Mecklenburg divided up the county some decades ago and this map shows where each is allowed to annex until it runs out of space.

As you can see, Charlotte is land locked in the North by Huntersville, to the south by South Carolina, by Mint Hill and Matthews into some of Union County, so the only places it might cross the county line is on the Cabarrus, at the SE on the Union border and across the Catawba River. I believe, by using state definitions on how annexations are allowed to work, the Catawba river is a natural border that Charlotte can't annex across. I have not looked at the Cabarrus and Union borders, but I am pretty sure that Concord, Harrisburg, and those Union county places might stop some, if not all annexations in that area.

Charlotte has done most of it's growing by annexation. I know this statement unglues some, but this is where most of the city's growth has come from. Yet when looking at this map, you see these annexation days are coming to an end. Will there be a million here anytime soon? Not a chance.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Actually Birmingham is doing well. The northern influence has been a big part of Charlotte's prosperity and a major factor in making it what it is today. They have brought in businesses and restaurants, etc. But, Charlotte is a city that grew mostly from local blood, sweat, and tears. Many local people had a vision and the energy to creat an environment attractive to outsiders. Northerners have been the icing on the top of the cake. And they have been what has made us the big city that we are today. I don't think that there is a great city on earth that hasn' t prospered significantly from those from other places. We love them, just not the "ugly" ones.

Last edited by vindaloo; 10-15-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I don't appreciate being called a yankee as that is disrespectful. Same as if I called you a redneck or hillbilly. I happen to think the mixture of northern and southern culture in Charlotte is a good thing. You get the best of both worlds. If you don't like it, move somewhere like Morganton...a town stuck in 1950 where you won't have to worry about northerners, racial/ethnic diversity, religious diversity, entertainment options, etc.
I see Native_sons points. We do go through lots of constant slams, insults and other degradations from enough northern newcomers. The "When in Rome do as the Romans" means nothing to many of them.

I too am half yankee. Yankee is not a derogatory name. It only hints of being derragorary if preceeded by fu....ing, or damn. Yankee is a label used for early Americans that settled in New England. Hell, they even make candles with the title of "Yankee" candles. So, it must be O.K. Besides, overseas, we are all yankees. The first time I was overseas and saw "Yankee go home" written on a brick wall, I thought, "this place can't be all bad". Just kidding. But, I have many yankee friends (all assimilated southerners by the way) and I sometimes use "Yankee" as a means to identify. For example, I had three friends named Kenny. One was from Rhode Island so I called him "Yankee Kenny". It really isn't derrogatory.

People shouldn't be so sensative. We southerners have been insulted all our lives and have mostly developed a thick skin. Get over the title yankee. I've heard worse.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
No argument at all on this, but I don't see where it has anything to do with the OP.
He is making a comparison with what is happening in Mecklenburg.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_bwnage View Post
So what you are saying is that NY has 350K less people than in 1990?
I am sure that there is some sanity somewhere in this posting, but please help me find it. What are you talking about

Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
It wasn't a bad thing to me until the yanks began to outnumber the southerners.

I'm fine with there being a bit of a melting pot here. I have enjoyed getting to know my neighbors of different nationalities. But ideally I would have preferred to see Charlotte remain a southern city, not a replacement city for folks who come from the northeast and only care about replicating what they had up there, only for cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte