Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:32 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times

Advertisements

Just curious, why didn't you take care of this before you started your new job? Anyway, N.C. is tough with license. I had to leave the DMV, go home and find a form of identification that actually had my middle name on it. You can not get you license using any identification that doesn't have the middle name. I got there very early and had to leave. Very frustrating.

The reason that N.C. is so strict is because of the huge problem with illegal immigrants and identifications getting into the wrong hands. It was explained to me that that was the reason for the middle name problem.

Be sure to go over your rules book. I noticed many out of state people going away disappointed (pissed off).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 04:42 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
To the OP;

This state is definitely NOT geared to the working person...wait until you have to go to the doctor!!
So does that mean there is some mandate that forbids workers in N.C. from taking off to take care of business? Wouldn't a time off policy be established at the workplace and not by the state? I have never heard anyone say what you just stated. I am very interested to hear your reasoning. I must be missing something.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
So does that mean there is some mandate that forbids workers in N.C. from taking off to take care of business? Wouldn't a time off policy be established at the workplace and not by the state? I have never heard anyone say what you just stated. I am very interested to hear your reasoning. I must be missing something.
Well, I know that it is not conducive to retaining your employment to taking off (for ANY reason) when you first start working...and, sometimes, even after you have been there awhile. For example, last January when I had the flu and pneumonia, it was expected that, as long as I could sit and talk, I would be at work. (I actually only missed 2 days due to high fever) Of course, it then took 8 weeks + to get well, but, I still had my job!! And, that, my friend, is working at a bank corporate office after 10 years of service!!

Another office of the bank that I worked at here in NC wrote me up for having to have emergency surgery and resulting physical therapy. (because it was stated that I "mismanaged" my time off).

So, no, it is NOT a good idea for the OP to take time off to get his DL. IMHO, those offices should be required to have late hours at least once weekly and Sat hours. Doctor's offices should also be required to do this as well. People need to keep their jobs....in particular in this day & time. Secular jobs are not like gov't jobs, vindaloo...people are in serious jeopardy each and every day of loosing their jobs for no real reason.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:20 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,380 times
I've lived here most of my life and the DMV has always been about as customer-oriented as a root canal. I don't see why all of the government service offices don't have extended hours so that people would not have to take off of work to do every little thing.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:04 AM

257 posts, read 669,322 times
I actually went and got my license this morning at the Arrowood Road location. I got there around 9am and waited about 10 minutes to be seen. The whole process took about 40 minutes. I didn't have to take a test though b/c my old license was still valid here. The only issue is you can't register your car until you get your license in the mail. I guess you can't do it the same day. Also, if your checks don't have your NC address on it then you must pay cash. Be careful with that. Good luck! I dreaded today but it actually went pretty smooth.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post
I actually went and got my license this morning at the Arrowood Road location. I got there around 9am and waited about 10 minutes to be seen. The whole process took about 40 minutes. I didn't have to take a test though b/c my old license was still valid here. The only issue is you can't register your car until you get your license in the mail. I guess you can't do it the same day. Also, if your checks don't have your NC address on it then you must pay cash. Be careful with that. Good luck! I dreaded today but it actually went pretty smooth.
I bow down to how you got this done in 40 minutes. Someday you will need to share your secret: you know someone who works there? You bribed someone?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:18 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
While I am hardly a fan of the DMV here in NC, I fail to see where this one is much worse than in any other state that I've lived in (NJ, VA, MD).

Did you know that you can make an appointment with the License Bureau here?

Your boss is not willing to give you time off during the day (maybe a long lunch time one day) to do your legal duty and get a new license? What if you were called for jury duty?

Anyway, good luck with your situation.

You never lived in NY or Florida then. Florida DMV, your in and out in 15 min.. You just have to show your current pictured license, a current utility bill and SS card. Oh and a vision test. All in fifteen minutes. That is a well run DMV.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post

You didn't make an appt.?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,712 times
The "eye test" is identifying street signs.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
I now haven't lived in Charlotte or NC since July of 2012, and the state is demanding that I pay a fine because of lapse of insurance coverage. I don't in fact have a lapse in coverage I just don't have it registered in NC anymore but apparently the DMV thinks I do and am driving around without insurance. How can I convince the state I no longer live there? I miss Charlotte, but I still think NC has the dumbest DMV in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte