Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,059,334 times
I am loving this winter so far here in Charlotte! My second winter here and I love it!
I always liked the cold weather (but not too cold like when it got biting cold in NY), but here I have my gloves on and a coat and it's perfect!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 08:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,836,276 times
In the morning I try to let my labby out back to do his business so I don't have to freeze, but no. He'll just stand and stare at me, so as I start to walk to the front door he trots ahead and rings his bell to go out, so I have to bundle up, leash him up and take him out, stinker.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,575,257 times
When I lived in Kansas, this would actually have been considered nice weather for January, lol. But as others have said . . . we are not in those cold regions now.

I wish I had a fire place in my bedroom.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 PM

166 posts, read 392,079 times
Ya'll are spoiled. Where I'm at all day has been at or below zero and current temp is -8. If we have your low 30s temp, people would call it heat-wave and go out in shorts

Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic View Post
Ya'll are spoiled, where I'm at all day has been at or below zero and current temp is -8. If we have your low 30s temp people would call it heat-wave and go out in shorts
You are right! We are spoiled!

I am dreaming of Grand Cayman right now . . . warm is good.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:16 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,836,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
When I lived in Kansas, this would actually have been considered nice weather for January, lol. But as others have said . . . we are not in those cold regions now.

I wish I had a fire place in my bedroom.
I only have So Cal to compare with and it's pretty much no comparison.

I so wanted a wood burning fire place, I love the smell of burning wood. But at least I have a gas fire place, we didn't have one at all in CA. You're right though Ani, a fire place in the bedroom would be nice.

For some reason this reminded me onetime when I was camping, I was 15 and my BFF and I slept outside on cots by the firepit. I woke up the next morning and had coon prints on my sleeping bag! Never even felt him, I guess I was pooped from waterskiing.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I only have So Cal to compare with and it's pretty much no comparison.

I so wanted a wood burning fire place, I love the smell of burning wood. But at least I have a gas fire place, we didn't have one at all in CA. You're right though Ani, a fire place in the bedroom would be nice.

For some reason this reminded me onetime when I was camping, I was 15 and my BFF and I slept outside on cots by the firepit. I woke up the next morning and had coon prints on my sleeping bag! Never even felt him, I guess I was pooped from waterskiing.
Raccoons are notoriously nosey! But wow - one walking on ya - that is just plain crazy!!!

We had a beautiful fireplace in our MBR suite in our former home. We even found an antique fireplace surround and had it installed. I miss it so so much. I put an electric fireplace in our bedroom here but it was just one "for looks" - didn't really put out heat, so hubby took it to his office just for some ambience, lol. I have seem some advertised, tho, that actually do put out heat and are very attractive. So maybe I will break down and get one someday . . . there is just something cozy about the lights off at night and watching a fireplace, even a semi-fake one, Hee Hee.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,935,097 times
I sure could accept the cold snap if we didn't have to pay about the upcoming natural gas bills! My DW has become to accustomed to the warmer weather in NC and she loves to crank up the thermostat.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:26 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,222,809 times
The weather channels this morning are teasing for snow now on Thursday. Better start stocking up the survival provisions now. LOL We are in Charlotte's prime time for snow season. Such as it is.

----------------------

I do predict that a lot of South Carolina based coastal plants, palmetto trees, oleander, hibiscus, etc, that have been planted here in Charlotte are all gonna bite the dust if this weather holds and the ground freezes some. They just can't take it. Maybe it will run the recently arrived fire ants back down there too. If you have anything like this planted in your yard, I recommend taking some steps to protect them.

-----------------------

I do enjoy a change of weather like this as it really isn't that severe. I did a stint for a while in S. Florida and I can tell you the boring monotonous weather day after day really isn't that nice. We are fortunate in Charlotte that we see all 4 seasons and none of them are really that severe. We can thank Mr. Mountain for that some which shunts all that cold air coming down from Canada through the midwest away from us. (most of the time)

Old 01-03-2010, 08:08 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,713,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are right! We are spoiled!

I am dreaming of Grand Cayman right now . . . warm is good.
Tell me about it Ani. We were in San Juan between Christmas and New Years...sunny and 83 was fine December weather. As soon as we walked off the plane back at CLT, we were like, BRRRR!

Although the week after next I am off to NJ and Milwaukee for a week, so coming back here from that will make the weather feel like Springtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte