Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:47 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times

Advertisements

I got 7 inches of snow here before it changed over to sleet. Been mostly sleeting this morning with a little snow mixed in. This is in the South Lake Norman area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:51 AM

210 posts, read 507,871 times
I left South Charlotte about 3:30 yesterday and saw the first snow in Clemmons- Lewisville at about 5. Squalls for about the last 10 miles. Now home in Winston Salem with about 5" of snow, no cars on the road that we have seen. Have to drive back either late Sunday afternoon or very early Monday. Which will be better?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:28 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Here are snowfall totals in the western Carolinas at 9 a.m. Totals were reported by emergency management and other National Weather Service observers, and from county law enforcement officials:

Burke County

Morganton -- 7.5 inches

Connelly Springs -- 5.5 inches

Morganton -- 5.0

Cabarrus County

Concord -- 3.3

Kannapolis -- 3.5

Caldwell County

Hudson -- 5.0

Granite Falls -- 4.0

Lenoir -- 4.0

Catawba County

Hickory -- 7.0

Conover -- 6.6

Chesterfield County

Pageland -- 1.5 (mostly sleet)

Cleveland County

Casar -- 4.0 (6:30 p.m.)

Kingston -- 3.5

Shelby -- 3.5

Davie County

Cooleemee -- 6.0

Mocksville -- 6.0

Advance -- 2.5

Gaston County

Cherryville -- 8.0

Gastonia -- 5.0

Iredell County

Troutman -- 7.0

Statesville -- 6.0

Lancaster County

Indian Land -- 1.5

Lancaster -- 0.5 (sleet)

Lincoln County

Vale -- 6.5

Lincolnton -- 6.0

Denver -- 6.0

McDowell County

Marion -- 6.5

Old Fort -- 6.0

Mecklenburg County

Huntersville -- 5.0

Davidson -- 4.5

Charlotte -- 1.1

University City -- 1.0

Matthews -- 0.8

Montgomery County

Troy -- 2.0

Star -- 2.0

Rowan County

East Spencer -- 7.0

Woodleaf -- 7.0

Salisbury -- 4.0

Rutherford County

Union Mills -- 10.0

Rutherfordton -- 8.3

Lake Lure -- 5.6

Stanly County

Richfield -- 4.0

Albemarle -- 2.5

Union County

Monroe -- 1.5

Stallings -- 1.0

Waxhaw -- 1.0 (sleet)

York County

Fort Mill -- 0.7

ELSEWHERE

Major N.C. Cities

Greensboro -- 7.0

Durham -- 7.0

Winston-Salem -- 6.8

Raleigh -- 5.0

Avery County

Linville -- 9.0

Flat Springs -- 6.4

Buncombe County

Arden -- 9.5

Asheville -- 6.0

Leicester -- 3.7

Graham County

Robbinsville -- 6.0

Haywood County

Canton -- 9.0

Waynesville -- 7.0

Maggie Valley -- 5.0

Henderson County

Mills River -- 13.0

Fletcher -- 11.3

Hendersonville -- 9.0

Macon County

Franklin -- 10.2

Old 01-30-2010, 09:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Here are snowfall totals in the western Carolinas at 9 a.m. Totals were reported by emergency management and other National Weather Service observers, and from county law enforcement officials:

Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
A little note from the NC Highway Patrol:
"ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW AND SLEET ARE SIGNIFICANTLY
IMPACTING TRAVEL ACROSS THE WARNING AREA. HIGHWAY PATROL IS
REPORTING OVER 600 VEHICLE ACCIDENTS STATEWIDE. TEMPERATURES ARE
EXPECTED TO REMAIN WELL BELOW FREEZING THROUGH MIDDAY MONDAY
ALLOWING ROAD SURFACES TO REMAIN VERY ICY."

Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Put all politics aside but compared to the last Democratic governors
I really feel Beverly Perdue does care about North Carolinian's

This is her warning on storm conditions across the state
Perdue urges drivers to stay off the roads - News14.com (http://news14.com/charlotte-news-104-content/headlines/621315/perdue-urges-drivers-to-stay-off-the-roads - broken link)

Old 01-30-2010, 10:46 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
I was gonna try to go to the movies, but I guess I'll stay home today and maybe venture forth tomorrow. There's no need for me to go out today. (Except that my brother and his wife are pregnant and due any day. Let's hope that bun stays in the oven for a little while longer.)

Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
There was a sharp cutoff in terms of accumulations...

Charlotte is pretty much the cutoff...anything S and E of there (ie union/anson) you got an inch if lucky....anything N & W got several inches to over a 1/2 a foot......

I have to give credit to the meteorologists on this one. Although they cannot be 100% accurate, they called where pretty much where the cutoff would be
You're right - and they also said Union County would mostly just see freezing rain not much if any snow, which is exactly what seems to have happened.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This is her warning on storm conditions across the state
Perdue urges drivers to stay off the roads - News14.com (http://news14.com/charlotte-news-104-content/headlines/621315/perdue-urges-drivers-to-stay-off-the-roads - broken link)
So does this mean that NC is in a state of emergency over the winter storm?

Would it not make more sense to budget a bit more on plows/equipment to clean and clear more roads? I realize snow like this is a bit more than usual, but the mountains should expect to get dumped on at least once in the season, if not more.

And just a side question: what are you guys in Concord and Lake Norman area doing about leaving your houses this weekend? It is nearly impossible to drive on 5 or 6 inches of snow if no one is plowing. That is just ridiculous and completely unsafe. Even if the main roads are cleared you still need to leave your neighborhood to get out to things. We only have maybe 1 inch of snow on our neighborhood roads, and I don't even feel comfortable on them given the amount of ice I suspect is under it.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
So does this mean that NC is in a state of emergency over the winter storm?

Would it not make more sense to budget a bit more on plows/equipment to clean and clear more roads? I realize snow like this is a bit more than usual, but the mountains should expect to get dumped on at least once in the season, if not more.

And just a side question: what are you guys in Concord and Lake Norman area doing about leaving your houses this weekend? It is nearly impossible to drive on 5 or 6 inches of snow if no one is plowing. That is just ridiculous and completely unsafe. Even if the main roads are cleared you still need to leave your neighborhood to get out to things. We only have maybe 1 inch of snow on our neighborhood roads, and I don't even feel comfortable on them given the amount of ice I suspect is under it.
Up here in Concord we don't plan to drive at all (unless some emergency were to arise!). We've had a fire in the fireplace since last night, plenty of popcorn and hot chocolate and no reason to venture out except for a walk later on to stretch our legs

Once the weather was forecast we knew we wouldn't be going out at all. Since this happens only once or twice a year the state just cannot afford to have that many snow plows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte