Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:42 PM

297 posts, read 1,141,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
I actually DO think ticks are a big deal. NC has a big problem with ticks on animals and people--CDC rates show that.
Sure, check them when they come in and if they have one it is a bit** to take out a tick!!
Get a good flea and tick protectant, period.
Right on the money. Rabies are also a concern here. Keep the shots and tags current. I have heard the heart worms stories over and over but I do not but into it. Currently I have two dogs and have always had at least two dogs living indoors and out and I have never had any with heart worms. I belong to several hunting clubs we probably 250 dogs total per year combined in the clubs that I hunt with and over the last 15 years I have never seen a verified case of heart worms in any of the dogs that members own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 04:48 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,743 times
I have a friend who has lived in NC most of her dogs life and she didn't do any heartworm meds and he has them...they can get them, and heartworm medication can be combined with other flea meds, I think revolution does it...either way it isn't that much more money, our dog is part of our family and we treat him as such. jmo

Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Where will you be living? That will determine your Vet's office.

We have used Indian Land Animal Hospital for shots. It is less $$. I have also used Waxhaw Animal Hospital. They are very nice and caring. I tried Weddington Animal Hospital when I first moved here. I will not be going back.

I order pet meds online as they are cheaper. We do flea meds once a month and heartworm once a month (we did flea meds in CA too.)

Dawn

Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 AM

We use Brown Creek for anything major as they are a lot cheaper and very nice, however they are a hike..in Anson County. I am STILL looking for something closer to my house.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:22 AM
BNY

49 posts, read 192,404 times
If you're living near the border around 77 & 485, Carolinas Animal Hospital is an excellent large facility. They were very good with us when our dog was diagnosed with a brain tumor... terrific care and very empathetic.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:52 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,936 times
First thing I am doing for my pooch when we move down for good is put down the granules for fire ants. Right now that is my biggest fear concerning him.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:11 AM

really? I haven't seen one mound this year...the ones we use are for the mound. I think they were much much worse in SC!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:40 AM

182 posts, read 825,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNY View Post
If you're living near the border around 77 & 485, Carolinas Animal Hospital is an excellent large facility. They were very good with us when our dog was diagnosed with a brain tumor... terrific care and very empathetic.
Perfect and thanks- we will be in the Steele Creek area. I will look up this hospital on the net .

Old 05-29-2007, 09:55 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
I belong to several hunting clubs we probably 250 dogs total per year combined in the clubs that I hunt with and over the last 15 years I have never seen a verified case of heart worms in any of the dogs that members own.
How do you know they don't/didn't have heartworms? Chances are if they aren't treating for heartworms, they aren't testing for them either and it can take a while for a dog to get really sick. Many times dogs die from heartworms and the owners don't even realize it. I wonder how many of those dogs died younger as a result of heartworms. It's much cheaper to use the heartworm medication than it is to treat them after the fact.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:51 AM

19 posts, read 54,429 times
Lightbulb Dogs

Hey Jenn,
I have two dogs, shepard collies. What I notice the most are alergies with my more sensitive one. I keep them on heartguard and frontline plus all year round since we do not get a deep freeze.
The only other thing I would advise or warn you about are "loose" dogs. Mine are very well behaved and trained and I dont need to use a leash, but many people allow their dogs to wander, or are not trained and get out. There are a large number of Rotweillers and Pit Bulls, so be careful, protect yourself and watch your dogs carefully.
Ranada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte