Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 PM

11 posts, read 30,247 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to Chattanooga in the spring. I have a son who is in 7th grade and I am worried about the quality of the school system in the Chattanooga area. I would appreciate any feedback on the middle schools and the high schools in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
I guess that really depends on area. What areas are you considering (i.e. is work a factor for you or does that limit you)?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 PM

11 posts, read 30,247 times
Default peppermint

We will be in the Soddy Daisy area, but not sure we want to live up that way. Like to be closer to shops and restaurants. Like the looks of Ootlewa but not sure about the traffic or commute back and forth.. It the neighborhood is good and the school are also not bothered by a commute around 45 mins if necessary.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
I think the Ooltewah schools are very good, but I don't like the traffic on that side of town. I have a different POV than others on this board. We lived in Harrison (until very recently because we've moved out of state), and I had absolutely no problems with the Harrison public schools. Some people said negative things about the MS and HS, but I talked to parents who had kids there. They loved it. A lot of folks in Chattanooga send their kids to private schools. I was sent to a private school (in another state), and while, it was the best my parents could do, it wasn't a necessarily positive experience. Anyway, I'm a fan of public schools, and the more diverse, the better in my book.

I'm not going to be much help with the Ooltewah schools except to say I haven't heard anything bad about them. Good luck!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 PM

249 posts, read 659,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes99 View Post
We will be in the Soddy Daisy area, but not sure we want to live up that way. Like to be closer to shops and restaurants. Like the looks of Ootlewa but not sure about the traffic or commute back and forth.. It the neighborhood is good and the school are also not bothered by a commute around 45 mins if necessary.
Soddy isn't really that out of the way. Maybe 10 minutes to Northgate/Hixson area. And the Soddy schools are top notch.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times
I'll agree with keithps and state I've heard that Soddy Schools are pretty good. For what it's worth, the commute between Soddy Daisy and Ooltewah would be a PITA, at least until they get around to building the effervescent toll road.

In general, SD is a more conservative area, and you'll be somewhat near the Sequoyah Nuclear Plant. You are also within a short drive of any thing you care to get to in Chattanooga.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:13 AM

611 posts, read 1,998,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes99 View Post
Soddy is mostly 25 to 30 minutes to downtown and as stated above 10 to 15 minutes to Northgate / Hixson area.

Since I'm a Realtor I cannot and will not endorse any schools. What I can tell you is folks do ask to be located in the Soddy School Zone.

Soddy is a beautiful areal. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:54 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,243 times
We moved here in May of 2010. We have two kids in Ooltewah Elementary and 1 in Ooltewah Middle. We have had a very good experience at both. Ooltewah is growing quickly and the new Ooltewah Elementary school has been approved and is moving forward. The commute is a piece of cake to downtown and we are only 10mins from the Hamilton Place Mall. We love it here.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM

352 posts, read 883,221 times
As a parent of teenagers, here is my experience. Both of mine went to "questionable" schools. Questionable to other people. From what I have dealt with, your kids will thrive in any of the schools if this is followed.
1. Be an active parent and get to know EVERYONE your child will interact with at the school. Especially the teachers and principal.
2. Volunteer what time you can to the school. Including taking a day off from work to help during normal school hours.
3. Keep an eye on who your kids are hanging with. Yours could be the best of kids, but easily lead by someone with bad intentions. Hence, getting to know the teachers, they will alert you!
4. Honor kids really do have it better at public schools. They don't have to interact with the other students as much. ( I had 2, one was honors, the other was lazy, lol)
5. With most of the info put online for the schools now, you can very quickly learn when your kid is not doing what they are suppose to be, applicable to school work, assignments, etc.
6. If you aren't a fan of the other students, make sure you have plenty of activities away from school and with other kids. ie, my kid played baseball at a rec center away from his zone area.

I have had displeasure with the school system. I have sung there praises at times also. It just really all boiled down to how far, as a parent, was i willing to give my time and energy so my kids could succeed..

Old 11-02-2011, 04:40 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue502 View Post
As a parent of teenagers, here is my experience. Both of mine went to "questionable" schools. Questionable to other people. From what I have dealt with, your kids will thrive in any of the schools if this is followed.
1. Be an active parent and get to know EVERYONE your child will interact with at the school. Especially the teachers and principal.
2. Volunteer what time you can to the school. Including taking a day off from work to help during normal school hours.
3. Keep an eye on who your kids are hanging with. Yours could be the best of kids, but easily lead by someone with bad intentions. Hence, getting to know the teachers, they will alert you!
4. Honor kids really do have it better at public schools. They don't have to interact with the other students as much. ( I had 2, one was honors, the other was lazy, lol)
5. With most of the info put online for the schools now, you can very quickly learn when your kid is not doing what they are suppose to be, applicable to school work, assignments, etc.
6. If you aren't a fan of the other students, make sure you have plenty of activities away from school and with other kids. ie, my kid played baseball at a rec center away from his zone area.

I have had displeasure with the school system. I have sung there praises at times also. It just really all boiled down to how far, as a parent, was i willing to give my time and energy so my kids could succeed..
These are awesome suggestions. I've lived in various areas, and although my oldest is just now in 1st grade, I've always paid at least a little attention to the local schools. I figured out that the key factor affecting the performance of any particular student and the school as a whole is the involvement of the parents.

If your child's class is full of kids whose parents always make sure homework is done, meals are nutritious, vitamins are taken, and sleep is adequate, then that class as a whole pays more attention and the teacher can go forward instead of having to repeat what should have been learned yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga