Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:43 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,493,696 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Nashville...

We are heading to Chattanooga for a weekend trip and wondered if there was a local's guide such as The Nashville Scene that gives weekly reviews of events, restaurants, etc in the Chattanooga area. Is Chattanooga Now the best source for that?

Really looking forward to checking the city out.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 11:31 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,031,383 times
Yes, that would be your best source. It is what it is, but pretty informative.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:12 PM

Thanks! One (probably last) follow up question...Southside obviously has a lot going for it...what's the parking situation in that area of town? It's hard to tell on Google Maps, but I am not seeing a lot of public parking in that area if we wanted to walk around.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:01 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,031,383 times
There are public parking lots. I can't really recall if they are still Republic or not. Last time I used them it was pay it the slot type, several years ago.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:02 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,884,885 times
Default CHOO. Choo Bus STOP

D.C. . The CHOO CHOO complex has the inside parking tower , where the FREE Electric city bus system
Has their start .
The Thursday edition of the newspaper , Timesfreepress.com. Has the music , food event scene flyer...
Also at the CHOO CHOO lobby one should find the free town mags like CHATTER,, BLUSH,, etc..

Old 12-17-2015, 08:15 AM

Thanks, y'all!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 AM

Just a follow up to say what a cool town Chattanooga is. We really enjoyed our stay and will certainly be back sooner rather than later. Great place to visit, but I definitely could see it being a great town to relocate to as well.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:36 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,522,785 times
I lived in some of the largest cities in the country before coming to Chattanooga. I have to admit I was nervous about coming here. Been here for nearly a decade, and have to say I never miss the "big city". It's a vibrant and beautiful city, and we've taken to the outdoors. I am convinced that my wife and I and our kids are far more healthy and outdoorsy than if we had stayed in the cities where we lived. I lost twenty pounds (my wife ten, but shhhhh) in our first year here. Happy to say we've kept it off. Hiking, camping and mountain biking are routine family outings with friends. Plus, several of my children have picked up rock climbing. I'm a bit too nervous to do that, but they are well-trained and very cautious.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 PM

275 posts, read 538,047 times
I just came back from two weeks in Hixson helping our daughter (an audiologist) and family who have just relocated from here in Mobile. I just love the Chattanooga area. Though it's smaller than Mobile, it seems to have so much to offer - arts, history, scenic beauty, lots of outdoor activities - and four seasons, which I've missed (originally from New England, decades ago.)

I could easily see us relocating to the area upon retirement in a few years. Great place.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:43 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,522,785 times
Glad you had a good time. It is a great place to retire to.

Also your post presented a question I never considered. I am aware that Mobile is a major city on the Gulf... and in Alabama. My family always went to the beach at either GS or FM in Baldwin County. So I am quite familiar with that area, and always have enjoyed it. I love the food there. But to your point, I never even thought about the relative sizes of Chattanooga and Mobile. So I was surprised to see that Chattanooga is actually not much smaller in population in the city proper, and only slightly larger in area than Mobile. Even the counties compare somewhat similarly, in which case it's Hamilton County that is actually more dense, as it's a third the size in area as Mobile County.

Anyway, I never even considered that our two cities were comparable, and mostly they aren't as Mobile is an important port city on the Gulf... and Chattanooga is only the fourth (soon to be fifth) largest city in Tennessee, but we do have a lot of big city offerings/institutions. I love the beauty of its location and the many amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga