Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 13,890 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone my hobby is metal detecting on the weekends in search of coins or anything that would tell a story. If you have a home that was built before the 1550s I would like to ask your permission to detect it. I would also be happy to share with you some of the things I find around, as well if anyone has lost an item of value or importance to them (wedding band, or such) I would gladly help in the return of this item to this person. I am certified with the TVA Police to play around on TVA land across the state. I always adhere to the Metal Detectors Code Of Ethics. (see below) A small trowel is the only recovery tool I use besides the detector unit. A shovel will NEVER be used. You won’t be able to tell I’ve been there. Most times my detector buddy (also TVA certified) joins me in our quest. We have been written up twice by the Chattanooga Times for returning lost jewelry to a very happy home owner. Metal detecting to us is therapeutic to a long work week, as well as some good exercise

Please feel free to contact me anytime biggatrout@comcast.net

Thank You

METAL DETECTING CODE OF ETHICS
Never trespass. Always get permission to traverse private or restricted lands. -
- Always respect private property and do no metal detecting without the owner's permission.
-Before searching public sites, always check laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern your hunt.
-Always leave gates as they are found whether open or closed.
- Never do anything that might contaminate wells, creeks or other water supplies.
- Never tamper with signs, maintenance facilities or equipment.
- Never damage or destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns or deserted structures.
-Never spook, taunt, provoke or otherwise disturb wild or domestic animals.
-Never leave litter. Pack out any and all trash or debris you create or find.
-If necessary, clean up after a previous detectorist. Acting in spite of him or even just ignoring his trangressions will only hurt us all in the end.
-Always use the correct digging or probing equipment to make the least intrusion or marks.
-Never throw trash finds back in the hole.
-Leave as little sign of your passing as possible.
-Always fill in your holes, including plowed fields, sand pits, beaches and in water.
-Study, learn, appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.
-Be thoughtful, considerate, courteous and respectful of others at all times.
- Protect the metal detecting hobby by being a good will ambassador at all times.
-Report the discovery of any items of possible significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation of your area.
-Report any live ammunition or other potentially lethal or toxic objects you may find to authorities after carefully noting or marking the location.
- Report any criminal activities you see to proper authorities immediately. You are not a "snitch" or a "tattletale". You are a citizen with both rights, privileges AND duties. Respect them as they were hard-earned by many who came before you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:34 PM

340 posts, read 1,512,306 times
I wasn't aware of many homes being built in Chattanooga prior to 1550.

:-)

Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmarian View Post
I wasn't aware of many homes being built in Chattanooga prior to 1550.

:-)

Thanks sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain , I was thinking more of 1950's.

However if there is a 1550's house anywhere around here someone has to let me know about it.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Cool 1920's. ?

T.N. Had done some of that hobby , early 90's. Also tried UNderWater unit scuba diving upstate NY. My friend ,shop owner was quite good at under water finds.
..We are across lake / river from you in North Soddy . I have access to early house foundations possible 1920's vintage. Should be busy next week, but you can Direct message me if interested . Maybe might need the shovel in this place.
Another place maybe for RailRoad Splikes , etc from 1910's . ?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
T.N. Had done some of that hobby , early 90's. Also tried UNderWater unit scuba diving upstate NY. My friend ,shop owner was quite good at under water finds.
..We are across lake / river from you in North Soddy . I have access to early house foundations possible 1920's vintage. Should be busy next week, but you can Direct message me if interested . Maybe might need the shovel in this place.
Another place maybe for RailRoad Splikes , etc from 1910's . ?
Thanks much I sent you a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga