Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times

Advertisements

Interesting post, ChrisB . . . I love the ELR and appreciate the similarities to the CTS Coupe which tends to reduce the "Look at me, I'm driving a Green Machine" syndrome.

If only I had a realistic need for an ELR . . . there would be one in my garage right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
I've seen exactly one so far and I had no idea what it was until I looked it up. Tesla S's are all over, the ELR is still an oddity.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:50 AM

249 posts, read 458,175 times
having only 2 doors turns me off

Old 04-24-2014, 03:58 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
It's indeed a nice looking vehicle but far far too expensive for what it offers. People in that market and price range, and there are not that many, are going to go for a Tesla. Whether it is a tarted up Volt or not really isn't the point, this is how it's perceived which is the point. (GM still has horrible marketing)

The irony of it is for GM is that if they had not abandoned the EV1, recalled all the cars and crushed them, and instead stuck with developing the design & market, they'd probably own the electric vehicle market now.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It's a Chevy Volt with two less doors and a much higher price tag. Might sell better in LA.
You're obviously biased.

It shares similarities with the Volt but it is a completely different car.
Who cares if he's biased? You asked for explanations for the abysmal sales numbers of the ELR, that's his explanation. And it's a perfectly reasonable one from a consumer standpoint. Who the hell wants to pay double for what is essentially a dolled-up Volt? While I get platform-sharing and occasional parts-bin-borrowing across models of various prestige levels, this smacks of Cimmaron-style badge-marketing for the new millennium.

Last edited by Drover; 04-24-2014 at 05:47 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 06:40 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Who cares if he's biased? You asked for explanations for the abysmal sales numbers of the ELR, that's his explanation. And it's a perfectly reasonable one from a consumer standpoint. Who the hell wants to pay double for what is essentially a dolled-up Volt? While I get platform-sharing and occasional parts-bin-borrowing across models of various prestige levels, this smacks of Cimmaron-style badge-marketing for the new millennium.
If it was like a Cimmaron, it's BE a Volt 4 door hatch with a Caddy grille and badge, and it's not.

I agree that it's too expensive, but it's NOT just a Cimmaron version of the Volt. And it's up to us car guys to educate non-car people, not agree with their ignorance.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:43 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It's a Chevy Volt with two less doors and a much higher price tag. Might sell better in LA.
+1......2 less doors, double the price!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:51 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,732 times
I purchased my 2013 CTS-V sedan for just a bit less than the price for the ELR and if this was an option I would still pick the CTS-V.

Fuel economy is not important to me, performance is important to me followed by other things with fuel economy much lower on the list.
In my opinion the typical person looking at Cadillac as a vehicle to purchase doesn't have hybrid technology as a motivating factor behind their purchasing reasons.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
The ELR is a much better looking and slightly more powerful Volt. It is NOT a different car. The drivetrain is a tweaked version of the Volt's.

But it is ridiculously expensive. Unlike the Tesla at the similar price level the ELR is slow and small. The Tesla is sports car quick and seats four very nicely.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,527,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
+1......2 less doors, double the price!
Totally agree, coupes just aren't that popular these days.

Growing up in the late 70's I loved the Eldorado. That was a long time ago and there is no way a I would buy a coupe today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC