Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 AM

223 posts, read 662,176 times

Advertisements

I currently have another active post out there right now re: suburb shopping in the western burbs. On a related note, I'm curious about the public pool options throughout the western suburbs and if there any plusses or minuses to what each offers (be it price, lots of rest periods, lack of a snack bar, no baby pool, nice locker/shower room, etc., any good or bad points, really). I'm also curious about other nuances or dynamics -- such as in Naperville, do most people tend to use the subdivision pool? In other suburbs, is there a flocking to the community park district pool? Is it fairly easy to be a non-resident and attend another suburb's pool?

I'd also welcome information on any private clubs (swim clubs or overall country clubs), too, if anyone can share those insights.

Interested in suburbs such as Elmhurst to Glen Ellyn, LaGrange all the way to Naperville. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I live in Naperville. We have a neighborhood pool, but it's not public. You can only be a member if you live in this neighborhood or two neighborhoods that adjoin. It's expensive but very nice. We're not members yet but have been as guests of our neighbors.

The big public pool here is Centennial Beach. It's a former rock quarry that was expanded and made into a pool. It has a zero-depth sand beach, snack bar, kids' area, diving boards, swim lanes, and lots of lifeguards. It's fairly crowded but not worse than any other public pool on a hot day.

Centennial Beach | Naperville Park District, Naperville, Illinois (http://www.napervilleparks.org/webpages/index.aspx?webpageid=1000387 - broken link)

I've also seen banners for a neighborhood pool at Hobson and Naper in Naperville. It's a no-bond pool (my neighborhood pool makes you buy a "bond," which is what makes it so expensive). I don't know anything else about that one.

Other swimming options:

Sea Lion Aquatic Park in Lisle: Sea Lion Aquatic Park

Pelican Harbor in Bolingbrook: Bolingbrook Park District - Welcome to our New Web Site

I haven't been to either, but my husband and kids have been to Pelican Harbor and said it was pretty fun for the little kids.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:06 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Littlle late in the season, but good info...

I know the Field Club in LaGrange is a nice option for folks nearby who enjoy the swim/tennis and social aspects. Pretty down to earth from what I recall and a decent value for private from what friends have told me.

Western Springs, Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills all have municipal / park district pools that are very well loved by the folks in each town that frequent them. Riverside and many others are visible from the BNSF if you know where to look. There are also at least a few country clubs that run outdoor pools-- better secluded, but equity type deals make this an expensive and potentially socially challenging situation, I tend to steer clear. There are sports oriented for profit clubs in the area too a-- Five seasons, Lifetime Midtown, some people love 'em. Oak Brook has a fantastic facility that is run by the municipal government but once was private so it really will wow you in terms size, especially as OB has such small population. OB PB also has first rate indoor facility fairly nearby. Elmhurst has a great YMCA as well as public pool and very well programmed facility at York High.

I believe Lombard still has a pool too. Not sure about Addison or Villa Park.

I know there are several facilities in Glen Ellyn and Wheaton. Been there a long time ago for swim meets with kids, know some have been upgraded to more waterpark style facility... Bolingbrook has a waterpark too.

Naperville has Centennial Beach, which is a really unique and well used facility, and probably a dozen or so subdivision / club type pools. Lifetime fitness too.

Downers Grove has a nice indoor facility run by PD, a privately run outdoor facility and at least a couple of pools associated with subdivisions -- I happened to be driving by the one at Orchard Brook last night on my way to visit aunt in rehab facility last night and there still dozens of cars in the lot after 7PM. I recall swimming there as a kid with friends that lived in area. Nearby Good Samaritan Hospital has knock out fitness center with indoor pools, and at one time the facility that is now Midwest University had an awesome pool and gym-- it was built as YMCA college!

I have been in the locker rooms at many of the places and I have to say that compared to the for profit facilities basically all the PD / municipal stuff is down right Spartan, especially on the guys side. I think the folks that have to sit in the government meetings do not want crabby residents claiming tax dollars are being used for some lavish facility, so they go with stuff that is basically a half peg up from Army barracks. When the weather is less than ideal you have to be pretty hardy to even shower in some of these!

Since all the towns have plenty of hungry lawyers there are pretty high standards for maintenance, safety, infant pool, life guards, etc -- not too much variance really. As long as you are close to one facility or another (and I would say that the smaller the town you more likely it is you are close to something...) and the rate seems fair not much reason to shop around...

Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Lifetime Fitness in Warrenville has several pools. A lap pool, a large indoor pool, an outdoor pool and several hot tubs. They are quite nice. They also have an outdoor snack bar. I believe you have to be a member. You also get gym membership too with it.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Great responses, so far -- this is SO helpful! And thanks, Chet, for that particularly detailed round-up of many of the area's offerings!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:50 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,201 times
I really like the Clarendon Hills, Hinsdale, and Western Springs Service Club pools. The first two are district run, I believe, and the last one is privately owned. Clarendon Hills pool is about half the cost of Western Springs (which is around $500 for the season). Field Club in LaGrange used to be pretty exclusive with long waitlists to even join, but those have all but disappeared. I hear it's a little pricier, but people do like it. The LaGrange Country Club pool is very nice, but at ~$80K to join you better live there from May to August. Of course, they also have the large golf course which is also included, so if that's your thing it's a nice facility. Oak Brook Recreation Department has an awesome indoor pool facility with an outdoor splash pad. I never priced out membership (I don't think it's all that expensive even for non-residents), but LOTS of people do kiddie swim lessons there as non-residents, myself included. Their swim lessons are awesome.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:02 PM

That's so funny you mention the indoor Oak Brook facility. We actually just did swim lessons there, and boy, was I impressed with that place. I'd prefer something more outdoor (though they do have the outdoor splash portion), but gosh, what a nice park district pool!!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Oak Brook has both...

The Park District runs the indoor facility the Village runs the outdoor: Recreation & Entertainment :: The Village of Oak Brook, Illinois (http://www.oak-brook.org/dep_recreaton/bath_and_tennis.shtml - broken link)

Very nice, not all that costly at all for what you get.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:21 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover5 View Post
That's so funny you mention the indoor Oak Brook facility. We actually just did swim lessons there, and boy, was I impressed with that place. I'd prefer something more outdoor (though they do have the outdoor splash portion), but gosh, what a nice park district pool!!
I just love their swim lesson program. I've literally spent hundreds there sending my kids through their various swim programs. People also rave about LT's (Lyons Township High School) summer swim lessons for kids, but I was not very impressed with them at all. The kids spent more time sitting on the edge of the pool than actually in the water swimming. Their private lessons are okay though, but I still like OB's better.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:49 PM
mh7

102 posts, read 332,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I really like the Clarendon Hills, Hinsdale, and Western Springs Service Club pools. The first two are district run, I believe, and the last one is privately owned. Clarendon Hills pool is about half the cost of Western Springs (which is around $500 for the season). Field Club in LaGrange used to be pretty exclusive with long waitlists to even join, but those have all but disappeared. I hear it's a little pricier, but people do like it. The LaGrange Country Club pool is very nice, but at ~$80K to join you better live there from May to August. Of course, they also have the large golf course which is also included, so if that's your thing it's a nice facility. Oak Brook Recreation Department has an awesome indoor pool facility with an outdoor splash pad. I never priced out membership (I don't think it's all that expensive even for non-residents), but LOTS of people do kiddie swim lessons there as non-residents, myself included. Their swim lessons are awesome.
The La Grange Field clubs still has about a 2-3 year wait list (I've heard it used to be much longer though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs