Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Or can we not compare the the towns because while Munster is excellent for everyone, Flossmoor and Olympia Field's are excellent "for Blacks" or "for the South Suburbs".
As a general rule of thumb, the South Suburbs are more diverse than NW Indiana. And I actually do mean the dictionary definition of "diverse".

IMO, Flossmoor is better than Munster for an affluent liberal-minded white parent who wants their kid to meet and build relationships with other kids who are different than they are. Good for blacks means good for everyone else in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 AM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
He's still posting.

Last time I checked, this was a thread that focused on the south suburbs.

There is absolutely no racism in this thread. There is a race discussion, but no racism.

Well the problem with this "discussion" is no one else on this thread is even african american besides me. Which is why the assertions being made are so generalized and would be classified as racist.

And I know northwest indiana will chime in. I have been to several countries including two in africa and 3 in the caribbean. African Americans in the united states are the most affluent people of african descent on this planet as a group by far, and have the biggest influence of how other racial groups view people of african descent all over the world, and the effect is in mostly a positive way. Anyone who travels abroad will tell you that there is a big difference in how africans and african americans are percieved in almost any place that you travel to. Asia, europe, and including even africa. So yes, I would concider you to be a racist african, who sounds like a sell out with no real solutions. You guys have once again managed to turn this into the racist rants of indiana thread and the white flighters agenda posting forum.

Moving away from racial and economic diversity is not going to solve anything. Attacking those OF ALL RACES who choose not to is not going to better anything either. My area is not perfect by a long shot, but I feel that we are making a positive impact on the south suburban community as a whole. Instead of allowing it to go into the dumps like the white flighters expected it to.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Northwest,

I know we have talked about this at length in the past, but many of the blacks populating our elite universities are foreign born or recent descendents of immigrants and not african american. Barack Obamas's father was Kenyan (his wife is african american and the descendent of african americans).
Barrack Obama is in fact african american. He identifies himself as an african american. Up until he was elected president he resided with his african american family in racially diverse hyde park which also has a very large middle class and affluent african american population. And, he has mentioned several times that he had only met his dead beat african father once in his young adult life.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Culturally, he may be African-American. But ethnically, he is more Kenyan-American (and digging even further, whatever tribe his father came from). He may have only met his late father once, but that does not change his ethnicity.
Northwest indiana, on average most african americans have more African ethnicity than Barrack Obama does. He is half african. Most african americans ethnically are on average over 80 percent african.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Northwest indiana, on average most african americans have more African ethnicity than Barrack Obama does. He is half african. Most african americans ethnically are on average over 80 percent african.
I never disputed that at all. The term African-American is mostly there because most "native" Black Americans do not know which African country they originated from.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 PM

I was born in Harvey too. I lived in University Park before moving to Park Forest for elementary school.

I've lived in the forest preserve in Monee since my last month of high school and shortly after my mom got married to my stepdad. Thankfully, I was able to finish my time at Rich East because I only had a month left and I was a senior. When I make enough money to live on my own, I don't know where I'll be moving to but prabobly somewhere in southern Cook County or the city.

In my entire life, I've only lived in three towns and they all border each other: Park Forest, University Park and Monee.

Last edited by urza216; 10-30-2010 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: added a second and third paragraph, :-)

Old 10-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Times have changed.
This is very true.

Quote:
Well the problem with this "discussion" is no one else on this thread is even african american besides me. Which is why the assertions being made are so generalized and would be classified as racist.
Suburban_Boy, Deechee, Chicagoland60426 and you are all African Americans on this forum reppin' the south suburbs. I'm the only white person.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:00 PM

17,377 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
I was born in Harvey too (at Ingalls like the rest of the world) and grew up in the south suburbs before moving to Indiana for elementary school.
Except for me apparently.

I'm a Chicagoan through and through ... Chicago Lying-In Hospital - which is now really U of C. Born & raised in Hyde Park before moving farther south.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:06 PM

And the first and second wave stuff is so old school it's time to retire it. What I see in my neighborhood is some younger professional couples moving in along with some middle age families. Not many people moving at all, but the ones that are. They don't look any different then me. It takes alot to afford it anyway. Olympia fields on average $3-$4 grand per month just on direct house expenses. Your income needs to be pretty high. Mateson maybe $1500-$2500. The same for homewood. Hazel cres and Country Club Hills maybe $1000-$1750 a month. The average property taxes alone are $700-$1300 per month in most cases for olympia fields. These aren't "ghetto" people paying that kind of money.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-30-2010 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 01:28 PM

Humboldt, as a white person you really do not know everything that there is to know about african americans. The fact that you speak in so many generalizations in regards to african americans kind of points to the obvious fact that you really don't have a lot of knowledge in that category. And, no Don Cheadle is not a mulatto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs